• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gaeltacht Quarter in Belfast now- next Derry!!!

DJP

I interviewed Donnacha Mac Niallais from Cultúrlann Uí Chánain the Irish Language Cultural Centre in Derry for Near90fm last month where we in part discussed the plan of An Gaeláras (situated in An Chultúrlann) to turn part of Derry City into a Gaeltacht Quarter like the area around the Falls Road in Belfast is now.

More detail is available on An Chultúrlann's website:

"An Gaeláras is now pioneering another phase in the development of the language in Derry by establishing an Irish language quarter, an Cheathrú Ghaeltachta, situated in the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell districts of the city and stretching from the Cultúrlann in Gt James Street through the Bogside to Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir in the Brandywell and up to Creggan.

The project will seek to encourage, foster and instill pride among residents in the rich history and culture of the neighbourhood by: * enhancing the physical environment of the area through the erection of Irish language and bi-lingual signage in partnership with community, business and statutory organisations; * developing a unique cultural tourism product in collaboration with Free Derry Tours, Free Derry Museum, TRIAX, Dove House, Bogside & Brandywell Initiative, Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir, the People’s Gallery, NITB, Derry City Council, and others. * maximising economic opportunities for local residents, businesses and others provided by the cluster of Irish language and cultural groups within the area;

This project will only succeed with the support and active participation of the residents, community organisations and businesses of the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell areas. Give us your views, thoughts and suggestions on how you can be part of this latest phase in the revival of the Irish language locally."

So what are your views, thoughts and suggestions on this? I understand that the plan is a long-term plan so it won't happen for another few years but should, I'd say, be no more than several years away.

I love the idea and hope we will eventually have a Gaeltacht Quarter in other Irish cities.

vanla sighs

That's a great idea. My Irish is useless but it's SO important to preserve our heritage.

Roll_On

there's a similar plan for a gealtacht community in Ballymun, Dublin. In my opinion urban gealtachats are the way forward for the language, the state policy of confining them to the most rural/isolated parts of the country is detrimental to the language

DJP

there's a similar plan for a gealtacht community in Ballymun, Dublin. In my opinion urban gealtachats are the way forward for the language, the state policy of confining them to the most rural/isolated parts of the country is detrimental to the language
Yes, I for forgot about that one. I think the one in Derry is for a Gaeltacht Quarter and the one in Ballymun is for an acutal Gaeltacht, if there is any difference between them. I think Glór na nGael are working on the campaign in Ballymun. I saw a news item on Nuacht TG4 on the question a while back but I haven't heard anything since. The Joint Oireachtas Committee that published recommendations on the 20 Year Strategy for the Irish Language published 33 recommendations but the idea of setting up new gaeltachtaí or Gaeltacht Quarters was not one of them. I don't think that any Irish language organisations unfortunately made a presentation to the committee suggesting that we should have them... pity...

Cruimh

I interviewed Donnacha Mac Niallais from Cultúrlann Uí Chánain the Irish Language Cultural Centre in Derry for Near90fm last month where we in part discussed the plan of An Gaeláras (situated in An Chultúrlann) to turn part of Derry City into a Gaeltacht Quarter like the area around the Falls Road in Belfast is now.

More detail is available on An Chultúrlann's website:

"An Gaeláras is now pioneering another phase in the development of the language in Derry by establishing an Irish language quarter, an Cheathrú Ghaeltachta, situated in the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell districts of the city and stretching from the Cultúrlann in Gt James Street through the Bogside to Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir in the Brandywell and up to Creggan.

The project will seek to encourage, foster and instill pride among residents in the rich history and culture of the neighbourhood by: * enhancing the physical environment of the area through the erection of Irish language and bi-lingual signage in partnership with community, business and statutory organisations; * developing a unique cultural tourism product in collaboration with Free Derry Tours, Free Derry Museum, TRIAX, Dove House, Bogside & Brandywell Initiative, Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir, the People’s Gallery, NITB, Derry City Council, and others. * maximising economic opportunities for local residents, businesses and others provided by the cluster of Irish language and cultural groups within the area;

This project will only succeed with the support and active participation of the residents, community organisations and businesses of the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell areas. Give us your views, thoughts and suggestions on how you can be part of this latest phase in the revival of the Irish language locally."

So what are your views, thoughts and suggestions on this? I understand that the plan is a long-term plan so it won't happen for another few years but should, I'd say, be no more than several years away.

I love the idea and hope we will eventually have a Gaeltacht Quarter in other Irish cities.
If they won't speak Irish we'll force it on them ....

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Yes, I for forgot about that one. I think the one in Derry is for a Gaeltacht Quarter and the one in Ballymun is for an acutal Gaeltacht, if there is any difference between them. I think Glór na nGael are working on the campaign in Ballymun. I saw a news item on Nuacht TG4 on the question a while back but I haven't heard anything since. The Joint Oireachtas Committee that published recommendations on the 20 Year Strategy for the Irish Language published 33 recommendations but the idea of setting up new gaeltachtaí or Gaeltacht Quarters was not one of them. I don't think that any Irish language organisations unfortunately made a presentation to the committee suggesting that we should have them... pity...
My Irish is also poor, I'm typical of so many people, always thinking of improving it but never get around to it. It's good to hear of Belfast and Derry and Ballymun. I believe that Gaelscoil's in city's tend to be in the working class areas. Well anything that improves the numbers speaking the language is good, maybe urban Gaeltacht's are the way to go. And also people are arranging Irish conversation nights in a local pub which is also good. Still reckon the Gaelscoil's are the future of the language but anything helps.

Now how long before the trolls andf ofcourse the orangies come along and say it's a waste of time and money and would be better spent on German, French etc

biteback

I'm curious as to how successful the Gaeltacht in the Falls Road area of Belfast has been?

eoghanacht

If they won't speak Irish we'll force it on them ....
How do you force a language on a people?

Well other than getting all medi-evil and cutting the tongues out of peoples heads

DJP

The citizens of nationalist West Belfast are planning a revolution I hear about the Falls Road being turned into a Gaeltacht Quarter. They are going to seize An Chultúrlann there as their headquarters...:roll:

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
My Gaelic is terrible also,

We need a way to self-educate ourselves using the new technology of the internet, see this excellent site loads of videos on various subjects.

Khan Academy

It doesn’t have Gaelic, but I would love to see some some parties create some online gaelic content.

If anybody has some links please post.

LowIQ

I made a personal submission suggesting a Gaeltacht in Dublin by moving all the organisations to the same area to build critical mass.

redneck

Ceapaim go bhfuil Gaeltacht beag ins an Cathair Gaillimh i sráid Dominic. There are plans/pleanáila for the Dominic St lower area in nGaillimh.

Roll_On

Ceapaim go bhfuil Gaeltacht beag ins an Cathair Gaillimh i sráid Dominic. There are plans/pleanáila for the Dominic St lower area in nGaillimh.
I think it would be something like:

Ceapaim mé tá pleanáila ar Gaillimh don Gaeltacht beag i ceantar sráid Dominic.

Although I was never a great speller.

On_The_Far_Right

I never learned Irish, or any other language at school for that fact and regret not being able to speak anyway other than english :-(

Any projects which encourage Irish, or any other language is to be welcomed. It always impresses me when I meet people who are capable of switching between languages.

Its particularly positive to see this project happening in my native Belfast. I hope the city council and particularly my fellow Unionists can embrace this project as an important part of our collective Irishness and not use it as a secterian football.

Cabbage/Turnip

I think it would be something like:

Ceapaim mé tá pleanáila ar Gaillimh don Gaeltacht beag i ceantar sráid Dominic.

Although I was never a great speller.
the "aim" at the end of ceapaim already entails the "me" part so me would not be there as far as i remember

Roll_On

Its particularly positive to see this project happening in my native Belfast. I hope the city council and particularly my fellow Unionists can embrace this project as an important part of our collective Irishness and not use it as a secterian football.
well said, the IRA does not have a monopoly on the language.

Roll_On

the "aim" at the end of ceapaim already entails the "me" part so me would not be there as far as i remember
hmm I never was a grammer queen, people from the gaeltacht understood my spoken Irish anyway so I couldn't be too far wrong, writting it is another story though.

What really saddens me is the incorrect Irish language signage in Dublin. Our national rail operator, Iarnród Éireann put a sign up in the docklands pointing people towards "Dugailte Stasúin" how embarrassing for our nation.

Cabbage/Turnip

hmm I never was a grammer queen, people from the gaeltacht understood my spoken Irish anyway so I couldn't be too far wrong, writting it is another story though.
I was just pedantic sorry, I love irish and try to speak as often as i can (i am not from a gaeltach)t, and like you far perfer speaking it than writing it

Popular Threads

Most Replies