Galileo satellites - worth it or not?

McTell

Twitter
No
So Galileo has gone live, and we can find things down to 1 metre instead of useless ole yankee GPS that is only good for 10 metres.

But was it worth it? Costs estimated at 3 Bn will be 5 Bn and maybe € 10 BN

C'maan, it's an EU project so it has to go over budget. We know they can't count.

European Satellite Navigation: Galileo Costs Launch Into Orbit - SPIEGEL ONLINE

GPS is for finding that restaurant. I don't need to know which side the door is on once I get there. Or do I? Persuade me, all you who are paying for this'n.

che schifo

I'm happier that 10 billion is spent on something tangible like an improved gps system than have it fúcked into a financial black hole.

gleeful

So Galileo has gone live, and we can find things down to 1 metre instead of useless ole yankee GPS that is only good for 10 metres.

C'maan, it's an EU project so it has to go over budget. We know they can't count.

GPS is for finding that restaurant. I don't need to know which side the door is on once I get there. Or do I? Persuade me, all you who are paying for this'n.
Improved GPS is important for things like drones, self driving cars and the like.

Its also important for the EU to have its own system as the US say they will turn theirs off during any conflict or dispute.

Vega1447

What's with the lazy anti EU shtick?
Do you know anything about the cost of the US military (GPS was developed for the military)?

Mad as Fish

Improved GPS is important for things like drones, self driving cars and the like.

Its also important for the EU to have its own system as the US say they will turn theirs off during any conflict or dispute.
And that is the crux of the matter.

Autonomous cars will place us in the hands of the state once and forever. Our every move will be tracked and ultimately controlled, which is why governments are giving them such an easy passage.

D

Deleted member 42179

Europe needs to be independent of the yanks as much as possible.
From that POV this is a good thing.

Now if only we could stop top EU officials taking huge bribes!

Accidental sock

Damn....now I've got Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head...

clearmurk

Is this a story from 2008 - see date of article in link?

Can I use Galileo on my smartphone for free now?

The Field Marshal

The purpose of the EUs fine tuning to 1 metre location accuracy is to know exactly where YOU are.

gleeful

The purpose of the EUs fine tuning to 1 metre location accuracy is to know exactly where YOU are.
GPS Galileo doesn't work like that. When you use it, only you know where you are, the 'system' doesn't. The technology is based on broadcasting clock signals, and the GPS receiver triangulates its position using 3 or more signals. Theres no way for the satellites to know who is triangulating or where they are.

Erudite Caveman

GPS Galileo doesn't work like that. When you use it, only you know where you are, the 'system' doesn't. The technology is based on broadcasting clock signals, and the GPS receiver triangulates its position using 3 or more signals. Theres no way for the satellites to know who is triangulating or where they are.
You clearly haven't factored in the looper anti-EU paranoia before bothering to reply.

che schifo

That's what they want you to think.

The Field Marshal

That is what you are being told.
I reject that.

It is possible to integrate mobile phone technology and GPS technology in such fashion that a central controlling monitor can filter & detect individual signals from each uniquely numbered device.

That means you and your GPS/Mobile phone can be tracked/monitored to 1 metre location accuracy should somebody decide to do so.

It is naive to pretend otherwise.

gleeful

I reject that.

It is possible to integrate mobile phone technology and GPS technology in such fashion that a central controlling monitor can filter & detect individual signals from each uniquely numbered device.

That means you and your GPS/Mobile phone can be tracked/monitored to 1 metre location accuracy should somebody decide to do so.

Of course its possible to do that. The US can drone strike just about anyone at any time if they want. But its totally independent from the GPS/Galileo system.

The Field Marshal

In your post below you appear to contradict what you claimed above.

Of course its possible to do that. The US can drone strike just about anyone at any time if they want. But its totally independent from the GPS/Galileo system.
I am offering you an opportunity to explain the discrepancy.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
I reject that.

You are misunderstanding how GPS works. The satellites transmit only a timecode and receive nothing at all. Your phone or whatever compares the relative delay on each timecode it is receiving, and calculates the relative distance to each satellite, and thereby your position.

If that calculation is done on a device that can otherwise transmit data, then of course that can happen; but it could happen anyway, using a variety of location indicators, such as your wifi network, mobile tower, or others. If you are using a satnav, it simply has no hardware with which to transmit anything.

firefly123

You'll be thanking galileo when your self driving car brings your drunk arse home!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies