Galway East

davehiggz

Series of threads on each constituency:

ElectionsIreland.org: 30th Dail - Galway East First Preference Votes

Currently: 2 FF and 2 FG

The 2 FG are safe and I assume they'll both top the poll.

One would assume that FF have the other two in the bag but I think a strong independent candidate could take a seat leaving FF on 1.
FG could also have a strong 3rd candidate but a 3rd seat is a long shot.

I predict: 2 FG, 2 FF (or 1 FF and Ind or 3rd FG)

Balan

FGs 2 seats are safe here

FF will lose one of their seats most likely Michael Kitt

Will Paddy McHugh independent TD of the FF gene pool run?

If he does, last seat will be a toss up between him and Ciaran Cannon the 3rd FG candiate

Verhofstadt

Website
Time is ripe for Colm Keaveney to take seat for Labour.. unlikely but he'll never have a better opportunity.

Bobert

Close this thread. This constituency should have zero TDs
I live in Galway East...

FGs 2 seats are safe here

FF will lose one of their seats most likely Michael Kitt

Will Paddy McHugh independent TD of the FF gene pool run?

If he does, last seat will be a toss up between him and Ciaran Cannon the 3rd FG candiate
You mean former TD Paddy McHugh? No, his days are over. As are Cannons.

Time is ripe for Colm Keaveney to take seat for Labour.. unlikely but he'll never have a better opportunity.
Hmm... It's doable but not the way he's going about things.

Personally I'm going to call it for 2 FG, 1 FF, and then a close run for Keaveney or a hot shot indo. There could also be room for a very dark horse to possibly take an FG seat.

flavirostris

Bobert

Doubtful. And I wouldn't call him a dark horse either.

Verhofstadt

Website
I live in Galway East...

Personally I'm going to call it for 2 FG, 1 FF, and then a close run for Keaveney or a hot shot indo. There could also be room for a very dark horse to possibly take an FG seat.
If the current resident of Donovan's old pad runs it would certainly cast a new light on Galway East.

To be honest I think Keaveney shot his bolt near on 8 years ago .. however if he gets his act together and starts putting the work in he could surprise people.

Bobert

But he won't though... I'm looking for and conspiring with people over finding a candidate to throw our backing behind and alas, I fear I won't find my Santos (well, maybe in Gort).

Keaveney can do it if he gets his act together.

Verhofstadt

Website
But he won't though... I'm looking for and conspiring with people over finding a candidate to throw our backing behind and alas, I fear I won't find my Santos (well, maybe in Gort).
You'll just have to run yourself.

Bobert

I won't lie. I've considered it. But I don't plan on being in this country after October.

turdsl

If Barton stands the next time Cannon stand no chance,and Ulick will also be in grave danger.

MacO'velli

I live in Galway East...

You mean former TD Paddy McHugh? No, his days are over. As are Cannons.

Hmm... It's doable but not the way he's going about things.

I'm currently, temporarily, resident in GE too,
Bobert, what is the issue with Keaveny?, is it he's in the north of the Constituency? and there is no Lab organisation in Lougrea/B-Sloe/Gort?
Is the Doctor chap from B/slloe not a better bet than Cannon?

Last edited:

Bobert

There is no Labour organisation in Galway East at all. It's basically just Keaveney. And the problem is that it's also the most ring wing conservative constituency in the country.

MacO'velli

There is no Labour organisation in Galway East at all. It's basically just Keaveney. And the problem is that it's also the most ring wing conservative constituency in the country.
I thought there was a labour stronghold in loughrea? wasnt there a Bobby Burke organisation
there?

Yeah you're right about the consevative nature, but the demographics have surely changed in Tuam Ballinasloe Gort and Loughrea over the last ten years?

Bobert

I thought there was a labour stronghold in loughrea? wasnt there a Bobby Burke organisation
there?
Five people does not a stronghold make. Here are the results for Loughrea in this year's locals. Dismal.

Yeah you're right about the consevative nature, but the demographics have surely changed in Tuam Ballinasloe Gort and Loughrea over the last ten years?
Not in any significant way to create a change. The liberals from GE move to GW and then either don't vote or vote for Michael D.

turdsl

What did Ulick survive by, a few votes. His time is well passed
Ulick was just ahead by about 250 votes on the first count,It was a great run by Barton on his first run,Dail Eireann and Ballinasloe need someone with Bartons ability, not someone with a failed party behind him.Ulick is there long enough now too,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies