Galway Hospital Surgeon: Anyone know any news?

yosef shompeter

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/serious-concern-about-work-of-galway-surgeon-1.2873512

It's an improvement that the media is airing these things (but not telling us very much) :|
Just thought I'd air it here on pie, to see if peepel can increase the details.
It's Gotta be going round in chatter of Galway pubs and cafés
Well we are a political site. we should have some iota of what is (or has been) going on ....
It might lead one to make preparations for some medical tourism and fly off to some other country if you need an operation. This in turn would free up the waiting list for those of a courageous nature.
And why shouldn't pie-sters avail of the extra information. We are informed citizens... No?

Two die after operations by surgeon under investigation

It's an improvement that the media is airing these things (but not telling us very much) :|
Just thought I'd air it here on pie, to see if peepel can increase the details.
It's Gotta be going round in chatter of Galway pubs and cafés
Well we are a political site. we should have some iota of what is (or has been) going on ....
It might lead one to make preparations for some medical tourism and fly off to some other country if you need an operation. This in turn would free up the waiting list for those of a courageous nature.
And why shouldn't pie-sters avail of the extra information. We are informed citizens... No?
Did you not read the article you linked?

The surgeon no longer works in the country.

Anything other than that might be speculation which attracts legal scrutiny. There's a reason the IT didn't name names.

Ardillaun

Operations do not confer immortality. Everyone who has one will die eventually and people who are already sick will tend to die sooner. That stuff about people dying in the piece is difficult to interpret on its own and may sound worse than it is. It certainly made me click on the story.

yosef shompeter

Did you not read the article you linked?

The surgeon no longer works in the country.

Anything other than that might be speculation which attracts legal scrutiny. There's a reason the IT didn't name names.
Yes Mr the Squirrell, I read the link all right and that's what prompted me to put up a thread on it.
It might be of interest to piesters to know what country the surgeon got his qualification.
Only last month an Afghani consultant was threatening blood-revenge against the Irish. He had recieved an adverse assesment after an internal medical inquiry about his competence.
Piesters might want to avoid such situation, it helps to be informed before the operation (rather than after)

ruman

Yes Mr the Squirrell, I read the link all right and that's what prompted me to put up a thread on it.
It might be of interest to piesters to know what country the surgeon got his qualification.
Only last month an Afghani consultant was threatening blood-revenge against the Irish. He had recieved an adverse assesment after an internal medical inquiry about his competence.
Piesters might want to avoid such situation, it helps to be informed before the operation (rather than after)
Yes its a growing problem doctors leaving this country after "adverse incidents" in Irish hospitals. Aware of 3 cases of it myself. 3 children left seriously disabled as a result of medical negligence at birth in Irish hospitals. Doctors left for the UK shortly after in all 3 cases.

In one incident the doctor rang in "sick" shortly before the inquiry and failed to work his notice. Full negligence was admitted by the HSE. Irish medical council unable to investigate as he's no longer on the Irish medical register.

Half Nelson

Did he speak English or was there a lot of waving and pointing in the theatre?

shanieboy01

I know the case. Nobody in ireland is at risk. He spoke fluent english. He was a real consultant. Anything else is is dealt with by the ruling

Boy M5

I'd rather have a competent dusky non national surgeon than an incompetent gin soaked rugby school educated Irish fella.

Outcome of procedures is the key issue.

I have reason to be thankful to both Irish surgeons & a middle eastern surgeon. The latter was surprised when I enquired where he was from in an interested way & spoke about his country.

What I'm most interested is the medical system that gives expensively trained doctors & nurses who then feel obliged to go abroad, only for fellas from other countries to have to come here and take their place.

That's the real scandal.

Though if unqualified or incompetent non nationals are getting into HSE that is a major cause of concern.

HSE bureaucrats also bury their mistakes

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yes its a growing problem doctors leaving this country after "adverse incidents" in Irish hospitals. Aware of 3 cases of it myself. 3 children left seriously disabled as a result of medical negligence at birth in Irish hospitals. Doctors left for the UK shortly after in all 3 cases.

In one incident the doctor rang in "sick" shortly before the inquiry and failed to work his notice. Full negligence was admitted by the HSE. Irish medical council unable to investigate as he's no longer on the Irish medical register.
There is a well known cute little trick available to doctors who run into issues in terms of a hearing at the General Medical Council. If they don't turn up then they can't be struck off.

A doctor in the UK who managed to miss horrendous injuries to a child neglected to turn up in one notorious case a few years back and just moved to Germany where she is free to practice without hindrance.

Boy M5

So there's 2 deaths being investigated & a helpline set up.
Source De Paper.

Ardillaun

There is a well known cute little trick available to doctors who run into issues in terms of a hearing at the General Medical Council. If they don't turn up then they can't be struck off.

A doctor in the UK who managed to miss horrendous injuries to a child neglected to turn up in one notorious case a few years back and just moved to Germany where she is free to practice without hindrance.
It shouldn't happen but it still does which is hard to understand in the age of Google. In most jurisdictions these days, you are asked about any disciplinary proceedings, lawsuit or complaint against you, upheld or not, in your entire career. A doctor who had a problem in one country/province/state is usually obliged to divulge it in the next and I imagine that would be the case in Germany. Whether such disclosure actually happened should be possible to confirm with the medical board. You also have to get a cert of good standing from your current board to practice under the new one. In my Canadian neck of the woods, a Certificate of Professional Conduct will include dates and particulars of the following:

 decisions of an Adjudication Tribunal where there was a finding of guilt of conduct deserving of sanction,

 suspension or revocation of licence, whether current or having concluded within the previous five (5) years,

 any current restriction of licence,

 a caution and/or counsel issued to the physician within the last three (3) years,

 active allegations and complaint(s) for which a decision has not yet been rendered, and

 additional information relating to the physician that the College deems relevant.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It shouldn't happen but it still does which is hard to understand in the age of Google. In most jurisdictions these days, you are asked about any disciplinary proceedings, lawsuit or complaint against you, upheld or not, in your entire career. A doctor who had a problem in one country/province/state is usually obliged to divulge it in the next and I imagine that would be the case in Germany. Whether such disclosure actually happened should be possible to confirm with the medical board. You also have to get a cert of good standing from your current board to practice under the new one.
Thing is though if the forms concerned asked whether you had been the subject of a medical council hearing or a fitness to practice hearing you could say 'no' if you hadn't attended the hearing.

Amazing alright in the days of international trade agreements and supply logistics through many jurisdictions that doctors can still avail of this trick of not turning up and even more amazing that the medical councils involved won't make a judgement on the relevant case in absentia.

Ardillaun

Thing is though if the forms concerned asked whether you had been the subject of a medical council hearing or a fitness to practice hearing you could say 'no' if you hadn't attended the hearing.

Amazing alright in the days of international trade agreements and supply logistics through many jurisdictions that doctors can still avail of this trick of not turning up and even more amazing that the medical councils involved won't make a judgement on the relevant case in absentia.
The new certifying body also ask about hospital/health board complaints so in nearly any serious case there would have been SOMETHING raised at that level as well which you would be obliged to disclose. BTW I imagine an active allegation would remain active whether you attended or not.

What one finds here, as in so many areas, is that a few people ignore all the rules and will keep going until they are stopped. I think the Colleges are trying to connect more thoroughly on an electronic basis but work still needs to be done, clearly.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It appears, like Brian Lenihan's view of capital, that medical negligence doesn't always cross water.

stopdoingstuff

I heard some fella asked him for a prostate exam and he sent him to get his elbow x-rayed.

Emily Davison

This is a rather odd post. You want to know the doctors nationality. Why?

Emily Davison

The new certifying body also ask about hospital/health board complaints so in nearly any serious case there would have been SOMETHING raised at that level as well which you would be obliged to disclose. BTW I imagine an active allegation would remain active whether you attended or not.

What one finds here, as in so many areas, is that a few people ignore all the rules and will keep going until they are stopped. I think the Colleges are trying to connect more thoroughly on an electronic basis but work still needs to be done, clearly.

So it would be impossible in this day and age for the employing German hospital to pick up old style technology, the telephone, to the previous employer or the Irish medical council to find out if there is anything they are not seeing in the paperwork. You can sometimes find a lot more that way, things that won't be written, but that might lead you in the right direction to ask the right questions.

New Threads

Most Replies