Galway luas

Roll_On

or Gluas if you will is a project that some persons from the west are wetting themselves over.

YouTube - GLUAS animation

The whole plan is completely ridiculous as far as I can see, but knowing how parish pump politics in Ireland works, it'll probably go ahead. I would rather spend the money from the transport budget on:
-double tracking on the mainline between Athenry and Galway.
-Construction of QBC's in Galway.
-expansion of the city bus fleet.
-Galway outer bypass
-connecting the M18 and M6.

or better still use the money to push the essential DART underground in Dublin through.

seanmacc

Having spent a lot of time in Galway you can understand the merits of the system. Driving around Galway is as frustrating as driving in Dublin and no amount of buses will get the cars off the road and encourage more trade in the city centre. Remember how many thought the Luas was going to be an unholy disaster (in the commercial sense). The West of Ireland is a Mecca fr tourists and this will be of great benefit for the industry. I'd love to see a cost/benefit analysis for the project. Galway is not Dublin but you have to remember the Luas is successful by only serving a small part of Dublin.

G

Gimpanzee

or Gluas if you will is a project that some persons from the west are wetting themselves over.

The whole plan is completely ridiculous as far as I can see, but knowing how parish pump politics in Ireland works, it'll probably go ahead. I would rather spend the money from the transport budget on:
-Galway outer bypass

or better still use the money to push the essential DART underground in Dublin through.
There isn't a hope in hell that it will happen. Population densities are way too low. The last of your options the M18/M6 - that will be going ahead. Wouldn't expect movement on any of the others. QBC's maybe. Saw a bus lane on Forster St (between Anglo and Eyre Sq) today with about 5 cars parked in it, so not sure what the point would be anyway, when that sort of carry on is tolerated a couple of hundred yards from City Hall.

mido

-Galway outer bypass

or better again put all of dublin underground and negate the need for the state to waste any money on a dart /metro north etc

Superindigoman

You always find the attitude in Ireland as been, oh yes good idea if its for Dublin, but anything proposed for any other part of Ireland is "ridiculous", this is a country if you have'nt realised not a city state, people in Galway pay the same taxes as everyone else and deserve services just like Dublin gets, its not like it got anything during the boom, it is the only major urban area in the country that got nothing when we were flooded with all this money, absoutley no roads, no new public transport, no new water or sewarage infraustructure and the list goes on, yet it is the most congested place in the country and has the two worst bottlenecks in the country.

G

Gimpanzee

.... it is the only major urban area in the country that got nothing when we were flooded with all this money, absoutley no roads, no new public transport, no new water or sewarage infraustructure and the list goes on, yet it is the most congested place in the country and has the two worst bottlenecks in the country.
Clueless.

The number of city bus services has approx doubled in size in the past decade and the city is served by a new sewage treatment works that was opened about 5 years ago that has the capacity to handle 100k while the city is only 70k. How you couldn't be aware of this piece of infrastructure in particular, yet felt sufficiently informed to make a comment on this is pretty amazing.

An Chuileog

Galway city and county are run by intellectually bankrupt civil service minions. Galweigians and tourists still have Cryptosporidium in their drinking water (albeit now neutered). The largest lake in the country is full of sh1t from badly run sewage treatment plants. These same people wasted millions of Euros turning Eyre Sq. into a giant piss pot. Galway needs is not a luas or a bypass, it needs a retard-ectomy performed on its administration.

PAD1OH

this is a country if you have'nt realised not a city state, people in Galway pay the same taxes as everyone else and deserve services just like Dublin gets,

it isn't about getting something for the sake of it. infrastructure like this requires people and higher densities of people.

bagel

Gluas would be a scandalous waste of taxpayers money, and i live in Galway.

PrinceMax

You always find the attitude in Ireland as been, oh yes good idea if its for Dublin, but anything proposed for any other part of Ireland is "ridiculous", this is a country if you have'nt realised not a city state, people in Galway pay the same taxes as everyone else and deserve services just like Dublin gets,
Agreed. I lived in a small village in the midlands for most of my life, and I was always very upset to see that Dublin had a tram network when there was no trams to take me or the other 5 people that live on my road into the village.

SKELLY

Galway doesnt need a GLUAS.
It needs a bypass, sadly due to having gombeens like Frank "forty house" Fahy we wont see that in this decade.

Roll_On

You always find the attitude in Ireland as been, oh yes good idea if its for Dublin, but anything proposed for any other part of Ireland is "ridiculous", this is a country if you have'nt realised not a city state, people in Galway pay the same taxes as everyone else and deserve services just like Dublin gets, its not like it got anything during the boom, it is the only major urban area in the country that got nothing when we were flooded with all this money, absoutley no roads, no new public transport, no new water or sewarage infraustructure and the list goes on, yet it is the most congested place in the country and has the two worst bottlenecks in the country.
I know there's a sensible poster in there somewhere, just dying to get out, the problem with gluas is that it's a 3-4 line system designed for a city of less that 75 thousand people with a semi rural hinterland.

People in Galway do pay the same taxes as people in Dublin, only difference being that there are 73,000 of them and 1,600,000 in the Greater Dublin Area.

It is not a bias against Galway that makes me oppose the project, I quite like Galway, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to spend €700m on a light rail system that'll have very few people using it.

The Gluas is what us engineers call, "overkill" it's a complete over-reaction to what is a very simple problem.

A proper QBC Network and improved bus fleet could serve the entire population of the city at less that €100m.

Also keep in mind that when Dublin's luas opened, Dublin bus suffered a 40% hit on it's overall passenger numbers. And Dublin's luas system consists of 2, unconnected lines. The proposed Gluas is a 4 line, well integrated system serving the most densly populated areas of the west of Ireland, that'd completely kill Galway's city bus service.

Superindigoman

Clueless.

The number of city bus services has approx doubled in size in the past decade and the city is served by a new sewage treatment works that was opened about 5 years ago that has the capacity to handle 100k while the city is only 70k. How you couldn't be aware of this piece of infrastructure in particular, yet felt sufficiently informed to make a comment on this is pretty amazing.
Well oh my god i'm so sorry, you actually got a new sewerage system and some new buses well did'nt you do great, if i'm not mistaken the West of Ireland, including Galway was an objective one region meaning it was to get the majority of the 80billion worth of grants for infraustructure by the EU, no new roads of anykind during that time but the population nearly doubled, they still carrying buckets down tht street to fetch water cause the treatment plant is basically so old it's falling down and the list goes on, for the fourth most populas place in the country it got damn all, i knoe tiny villages that got more fact.

biteback

A Bus Rapid Transit system would be far cheaper for Galway while also providing many of the benefits of the Gluas.

In fairness though I don't know why this debate is happening given the events of last week and next week in particular. It'll be 10 years before the financial resources are even barely available to consider any public transport improvements.

Superindigoman

Can i ask the people here a question, ok, to justify building a complete underground system to cover a city and its suburbs what do you think the minimum population would have to be.

Roll_On

Well oh my god i'm so sorry, you actually got a new sewerage system and some new buses well did'nt you do great, if i'm not mistaken the West of Ireland, including Galway was an objective one region meaning it was to get the majority of the 80billion worth of grants for infraustructure by the EU, no new roads of anykind during that time but the population nearly doubled,
M6, M18, proposed M17, proposed outer bypass as well as a lot of improvement to the Salthill road and traffic calming measures in the city centre.

they still carrying buckets down tht street to fetch water cause the treatment plant is basically so old it's falling down
there's a new treatment plant which was pointed out to you in a previous post.

and the list goes on, for the fourth most populas place in the country it got damn all, i knoe tiny villages that got more fact.
Swords is the 4th most populous settlement in the country, and it lacks a rail connection, until metro north is delivered in 2018ish?

This Country

Galway is probably the most liked city in the country but there's no way this is going to happen. A Galway rent-a-bike scheme would be closer to the mark, especially with the tourism the city gets. For commuting in and out, the city should get the bus system in order.

Roll_On

Can i ask the people here a question, ok, to justify building a complete underground system to cover a city and its suburbs what do you think the minimum population would have to be.
it would depend on the specific areas the individual lines would serve rather than the city as a whole.

Roll_On

Galway is probably the most liked city in the country but there's no way this is going to happen. A Galway rent-a-bike scheme would be closer to the mark, especially with the tourism the city gets. For commuting in and out, the city should get the bus system in order.
excellent idea, a bike scheme for Galway would be an enormous success with very little capital investment.

Superindigoman

M6, M18/M17 only been built now with mostly private money, eu grant? Outerbypass is at planning stage, no plans for in in the distant future, honestly you think its done well, i think you need to get out and travel more, it has the infraustructure of a town, nothing like even a small city.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies