Galway TD's spin

oddsox

Like the rest of the country Gwest gov td's trying to put positive spin on just about everything, do you think it is working for them in the GE?

oddsox

Anything specific? Any link?
Eg N o'B claiming credit about new train service to Galway that came 6months ago,, just shows how slow he is.
F Fahey everything good in Galway is down to his hard work, you know.;);)

owedtojoy

Funnily enough, I think Eamonn O Caoimh is a sincere man trying to do a good job who has been handed a poisoned chalice. My pity is tempered by the fact that he played along to get along in the past. He might have been too honest to get very far in the Fianna Fail of Bertie Ahern.

DeputyEdo

If any of them claim credit for inventing the internet, I'm gonna have to leave the country.

owenfeehan

Funnily enough, I think Eamonn O Caoimh is a sincere man trying to do a good job who has been handed a poisoned chalice. My pity is tempered by the fact that he played along to get along in the past. He might have been too honest to get very far in the Fianna Fail of Bertie Ahern.
He very skillfully got into Ahern's cabinet through cunning and keeping his mouth shut on the widespread corruption within his own party.

Before getting into cabinet, he'd ocasionally say something negative about the current direction Fianna Fail to a small gathering, milking the De Valera connection for all its worth, and thereby sending a loud threatening signal to Ahern to promote him or else.

Which is exactly what Bertie Ahern did, at Fahey's expense. O Cuiv then shut up and towed the line ever since.

O Cuiv is also one of the most parochial and clientist of politicians who offers nothing of worth or value to national politics, other than silly laws on translating every single public document into Irish (which his own cabinet had to water down, given how ludicrously expensive the notion was) , announcing he had voted against the Nice Treaty, after the the actual vote had taken place, and trying to force the people of Dingle to stop calling their town, just that.

If his relative lack of corruption makes him stand out amongst his Fianna Fail colleagues, this only shows quite how low standards are in general.

Last edited:

Bridget558

Eamon o cuiv and Frank Fahey saved the carna/rosmuc- Galway city bus service from being axed, both of them are praised very highly in connemara for that.

owenfeehan

Eamon o cuiv and Frank Fahey saved the carna/rosmuc- Galway city bus service from being axed, both of them are praised very highly in connemara for that.
They dipped into their own pockets to fund it, did they?

We must end the culture of politicians skillfully taking credit for public money being spent in their own localities.

Most of the time, they haven't even done anything to get the money. The politicians just take credit for it anyways, as they get tipped off in advance.

But even if they did lobby for spending, it's the worst kind of vote-buying using taxpayers money to fund their own re-election, by abandoning their national responsibilities in favour of localism.

Any wonder Ireland's economy is such a mess now? National politicians have manifestly failed to do their jobs, and look after the national interest. Local vested interest groups have rewarded politicians for buying them off, rather than doing the right thing.

I have nothing against the bus service btw., but there should be good public transport all over Ireland. The existence of one particular bus route is not something which should determine the re-election of senior Ministers. Rather it should be performance in relation to Irish public transport etc. policy in general, and their effectiveness in setting and meeting policy goals.

Let history record. In the dying days of Ireland's housing boom and the associated economic madness that has all but bankrupted the Irish government.

How was Minister Eamon O Cuiv choosing to invest his political time and energy?

a) going on a spending spree with exchequer cash for plush public sector jobs for his own support base [translating documents, few will ever read].
b) fighting to force the people of Dingle to rename their city.

At least Nero was making some music, when Rome burned.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies