• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

RelentlessApathy!

The most popular politician in Galway City currently is the Mayor, Cllr Mike Cubbard. He'll be strongly in the running for the fourth seat.
Mike's in the mix pardon the pun, but his appeal is limited to the city as well as his profile which has no party machine. He'll be the one to watch all the same.

StarryPlough01

Galway West Constituency

Catherine Connolly @catherinegalway

Catherine talking about her vision for society on Prime Time in January. "There are certain services that we all need, public health, public education, public childcare....." Get involved, get in touch with us here or call the office 091 567870
#Galway #GE2020 #GalwayWest

Independent Catherine Connolly, a barrister and a strong advocate for the underprivileged, enjoyed a good outing on RTE's Prime Time during the campaign and could pick up enough transfers to edge back into the Dail.

Catherine completely eviscerated Minister Zappone in the Dail - she found Ms Zappone to be disingenuous in parts:

#1,569

I (Starry) wish you well Catherine. You are *BRILLIANT. *

RelentlessApathy!

Noel Grealish emerges from the polling station having cast his vote this morning.

StarryPlough01

Dame_Enda

Galway West PBP candidate suspended from party over claim he 'smashed phone'

Loughnane was one of Solidarity-PBP’s two candidates in the constituency.

1 hour ago

Well Newstalk says its something to do with an alleged incident last year involving aggressive behaviour towards a woman.

DJP

Catherine Connolly has been the cathaoirleach of the committee dealing with the updating or amending of the Official Languages Act 2003 and is a strong supporter of the policy that 20% of new public sector workers should be Irish speakers and she wants a timeline for implementation. I would agree with that IF I thought there are anywhere close to enough Irish speakers to fill those jobs but (and I could be wrong) I don't think there is and if the policy is implemented (Micheál Martin said recently he was supportive of both) it will be taken by most of the public- at least in Dublin and maybe not mostly overall in Galway West- as another gobshite Irish language policy that turns or reinforces the turning of a lot of people off with having anything to do with the Irish language never mind speaking it.

So I hope she doesn't get reelected.

Fear Rua

Catherine Connolly has been the cathaoirleach of the committee dealing with the updating or amending of the Official Languages Act 2003 and is a strong supporter of the policy that 20% of new public sector workers should be Irish speakers and she wants a timeline for implementation. I would agree with that IF I thought there are anywhere close to enough Irish speakers to fill those jobs but (and I could be wrong) I don't think there is and if the policy is implemented (Micheál Martin said recently he was supportive of both) it will be taken by most of the public- at least in Dublin and maybe not mostly overall in Galway West- as another gobshite Irish language policy that turns or reinforces the turning of a lot of people off with having anything to do with the Irish language never mind speaking it.

Jaysus Darren you are some tulip. You need supervision.

Fear Rua

Mike's in the mix pardon the pun, but his appeal is limited to the city as well as his profile which has no party machine. He'll be the one to watch all the same.
Mike won’t be elected this time, his chance will come but he must broaden his horizons and get about the constituency more. Max 4% on 1st count and be eliminated early doors. O Cuiv, Grealish, one FG, Connolly and God only knows the 5th seat. FG2, Soc Dem, FF2 or Green

DJP

Jaysus Darren you are some tulip. You need supervision.
What in my last post do you disagree with exactly? You believe in the existence of hundreds/thousands of gaeilgeoirí who are going to apply for jobs across the public sector in the next few years?

Dame_Enda

I agree with her on language policy. I doubt there were many Hebrew speakers in modern times that language was revived starting in the late 19th century.

DJP

I would agree with her too on that language policy if I thought there were anyway near enough Irish speakers to fill the jobs in the medium term. 20% of new doctors, nurses, Gardaí be Irish speakers- across every area of the public sector I believe. Most of the time even 5% wouldn't be reached I think- in a lot of areas they would be lucky to reach 2%. Maybe I am wrong though and there are not that many overall new public sector workers going to be hired over the next few years. So in that case it would work in some areas, although still I think probably a minority. The head of the civil service said a few months ago that Irish speakers in the public sector are like "gold nuggets" such is the small number of them. If there is a largely untapped well of Irish speakers out there the question arises to me as to why they haven't tried to join the public sector already?

Hitchcock

What an absurd post.

DJP

What an absurd post.
She also voted against the Public Health (Alcohol) Act coming in. It's not simply on the Irish language that I hope she doesn't get reelected, although I don't have a keen interest in her winning or losing either way.

Dame_Enda

Looks like Grealish will get back in. Congratulations.

RelentlessApathy!

Noel Grealish returns to rapturous applause in Oughterard

afp_vg1xk-e1514552354865.jpg

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom