Galway West

Bridget558

I think labour will win no seats here at the next election, it will be 2 FF, 2 FG, 1 FFIndo. Eamon o cuiv and Frank fahey are very popular back in connemara, they never really had a boom back there so they will still vote for them.

culmore

Galway West another donegal, they only see FF no matter what is happening to the country

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
I think labour will win no seats here at the next election, it will be 2 FF, 2 FG, 1 FFIndo. Eamon o cuiv and Frank fahey are very popular back in connemara, they never really had a boom back there so they will still vote for them.

lol! I'd say you couldn't make it up, but you do!

dotski_w_

Website
Galway West another donegal, they only see FF no matter what is happening to the country
even if you ignore Michael D's elections, in the LEs last year (when LP were much lower in the polls than now) LP got 4,400 votes in Galway City (out of 22,800) about 20%. There was also 1,200 votes for LP gene poll Catherine Connolly, and another 1,800 to other leftwing candidates.

That's about a left-wing quota (a) before you factor in the big swing to LP since then, (b) if you assume zero left-wing votes outside Galway City, and (c) ignore that turnout is lower in LEs than GEs.

Now, you could argue that LEs are not the best indication, and I'd say you're right. But if you're basing it on GEs, LP got elected here last time when on a third of their current polling. Based on GEs, LP should hold this seat very comfortably. Based on LEs, they should have no real problem.

Glucose

Derek Nolan is not very inspiring.

He's just one of Michael D's mafia.

Catherine Connolly is the true heir to Higgins seat. Articulate and well informed woman.

dónal na geallaí

Catherine Connolly is the true heir to Higgins seat. Articulate and well informed woman.
Never heard Nolan speak,so it would be silly of me to pass comment on him.But I too am very impressed by Catherine Connolly,she is something of an expert on the hospital and schools situation in Galway and its environs.I can understand her Irish reasúnta maith,so I'm guessing she's not a native speaker! But very fluent,which won't hurt in Conamara.

Btw,I was in Galway Friday night and heard young people speaking Irish in Róisín Dubh;Cato ahoy.Off topic,I know but why has the Claddagh - internationally iconic name that it is -- morphed into Galway West?

Glucose

Never heard Nolan speak,so it would be silly of me to pass comment on him.But I too am very impressed by Catherine Connolly,she is something of an expert on the hospital and schools situation in Galway and its environs.I can understand her Irish reasúnta maith,so I'm guessing she's not a native speaker! But very fluent,which won't hurt in Conamara.

Btw,I was in Galway Friday night and heard young people speaking Irish in Róisín Dubh;Cato ahoy.Off topic,I know but why has the Claddagh - internationally iconic name that it is -- morphed into Galway West?
Because, maybe they can speaking Irish in the Claddagh and maybe they like speaking Irish.

It's a good complaint

Red_93

So why'd she leave? Oh, and BTW, we live in a democracy, we don't have heirs.

Máistir na Cruinne

So why'd she leave? Oh, and BTW, we live in a democracy, we don't have heirs.
I think she left because at the last general election Labour decided to run only one candidate, Michael D. That didn't suit Catherine who wanted to run as a second Labour candidate in the constituency and maybe pick up a second seat for Labour. There was sweet fanny adams chance of that happening, but I suppose Catherine thought she might, with a bit of luck, replace Michael D as the one Labour TD in the constituency. Michael D, wise old sage that he is, wasn't bitin' so only one candidate was selected to fly the flag for Labour, and that was Michael. Consequently, Ms Connolly removed herself from the bosom of the party and is ploughing the lonely furrow since.

dotski_w_

Website
I think she left because at the last general election Labour decided to run only one candidate, Michael D. That didn't suit Catherine who wanted to run as a second Labour candidate in the constituency and maybe pick up a second seat for Labour. There was sweet fanny adams chance of that happening, but I suppose Catherine thought she might, with a bit of luck, replace Michael D as the one Labour TD in the constituency. Michael D, wise old sage that he is, wasn't bitin' so only one candidate was selected to fly the flag for Labour, and that was Michael. Consequently, Ms Connolly removed herself from the bosom of the party and is ploughing the lonely furrow since.
pretty much what I heard.

It would be interesting if LP kept high in the polls and local polling showed them in the low 20s in Galway West ... I wonder if there'd be moves to reconcile if that was the case?

Máistir na Cruinne

I was slightly acquainted with Catherine Connolly many years ago. She is, and was then, articulate, well informed and progressive. She also seems to me now to be impulsive and to have some of the characteristics of a drama queen.

Still I'd like to see her as the Labour TD for Galway West.

joe-hill

pretty much what I heard.

It would be interesting if LP kept high in the polls and local polling showed them in the low 20s in Galway West ... I wonder if there'd be moves to reconcile if that was the case?
the real question is why labour have not moved sooner to safeguard michael DS seat.it has been obvious on the ground that no successor was in place.
it is accepted locally that labour are unlikely to retain this seat and badly need connolly back on side to win.however it may be too late for reconcilation. connolly must fancy her chances to win as independant left
candidate.

redhead101

the real question is why labour have not moved sooner to safeguard michael DS seat.
He announced he wasn't running in September, and now a few weeks later his replacement on the Labour ticket has been nominated. Just how much quicker do you think Labour could have moved?

dotski_w_

Website
I was slightly acquainted with Catherine Connolly many years ago. She is, and was then, articulate, well informed and progressive. She also seems to me now to be impulsive and to have some of the characteristics of a drama queen.
Hard to see really how someone like that could represent the LP in Galway West, tbh..... ;)

LgCastell

why did catherine connolly leave lab in the first place did she miss out on dail selection?

Has Nolan been selected defo as Higgins replacement or is it speculation?

Are Lab running two here to go with their sitting td +1 policy or just the one?

Also does anyone know FG's McCormack's intentions to run suely he'll pack it in he's a fine age now

Any speculation on Grealish from people in the know here?

Will 2 FF O Cuiv and Fahey get through?

Sorry for all the questions just with Higgins not running and McCormack and Grealish possibly not running a change up could be in the cards and it is intersting as to who will be in with a shout

oddsox

Alot of pressure on Fahey not to run inside and out of ff,, Crowe and Fahey camps at war with each other. Labour cockahoop about town,, pumped up with polls and Gilmore,, FG running one in west, city and east, only positive is FHEames in east, Grealish all over the shop acting like a co co, trying to deny he voted with gov

joe-hill

He announced he wasn't running in September, and now a few weeks later his replacement on the Labour ticket has been nominated. Just how much quicker do you think Labour could have moved?
its been obvious since 2007 that labour would need to find replacement for Higgins due to health ,age etc.so labour could have used local elections
results in galway to promote candidate via mayor of galway position.that however would require a bit of forward planning that seems to be beyond their
organisational abilities.

New Threads