Gaming

blokesbloke

When I were a lad I had a ZX Spectrum.

I loved playing games on it even though I was pretty crap at them.

As I’ve grown up I have had a SNES (LOVED Sim City on it), a Playstation (didn’t use it much), a PS2 (Ditto) and various PCs which I didn’t really game on.

Games now seem way too complicated and involved, but I miss playing them.

I want to try the South Park games but my newest laptop is a few years old now and only has integrated graphics so I don’t know if even Stick of Truth will run.

I don’t like Windows 10 anyway so would a console be a better choice?

The original Wii looked fun but I never got one.

The Switch looks a bit small and flimsy for my big clumsy hands.

Maybe an XBox S so I get a 4k Blu-Ray player too?

Any advice please?

Dame_Enda

I have an old XBox360. Xboxlive is now Microsoft Live (I got the machine in 2011 but didnt play it that much as I'm more into modding games to make them better). But anyway the great thing about the Xbox360 is that recently, Microsoft is giving away old games cheaply or free in emails with links. I enjoy Air Carriers Pacific Conflicts, where you play as Japan or the US attacking Pearl Harbour etc.

Dame_Enda

Eh. What?
Fortnite is a free game. Ive never played it but it was shown on the Claire Byrne Show on Monday so you can probably see it on the RTE Player. Its a 3D shooter.

jmcc

Fortnite is a free game. Ive never played it but it was shown on the Claire Byrne Show on Monday so you can probably see it on the RTE Player. Its a 3D shooter.
Were they complaining about it?

Dame_Enda

Were they complaining about it?
No but one said it was addictive. You play against 100 other people online. And the game never ends because I dont think it has an ending. It was young teenage boys who were talking about it. I think some adults on the panel may have had concerns about addiction though.

jmcc

No but one said it was addictive. You play against 100 other people online. And the game never ends because I dont think it has an ending. It was young teenage boys who were talking about it. I think some adults on the panel may have had concerns about addiction though.
If some of the Pravda/RTE pearl clutchers saw Call of Duty WW2, they might be very upset. :) A lot of games can reinforce addictive behaviour but playing online against real people is quite different from playing games offline.

silverharp

Fortnite. That's where it is at, if you want to be down with the kids. Take the L etc...
thats in my son's top 3 at the moment, im lucky if i get a kill but its a nice game, nice and clean and not overly cluttered on the screen oh and its free

silverharp

I have an old XBox360. Xboxlive is now Microsoft Live (I got the machine in 2011 but didnt play it that much as I'm more into modding games to make them better). But anyway the great thing about the Xbox360 is that recently, Microsoft is giving away old games cheaply or free in emails with links. I enjoy Air Carriers Pacific Conflicts, where you play as Japan or the US attacking Pearl Harbour etc.
have you come across a decent ww2 strategy game? i bought one years ago hearts of iron but couldnt get into it

Dame_Enda

have you come across a decent ww2 strategy game? i bought one years ago hearts of iron but couldnt get into it
I am into RTS like the Total War series but theres no WW2 version of that yet. I havent played WW2 strategy games before though many years ago I played Call of Duty (and completed it), Wolfenstein 3d (though thats paranormal-WW2) but they are 3D shooters.

Dame_Enda

If some of the Pravda/RTE pearl clutchers saw Call of Duty WW2, they might be very upset. :) A lot of games can reinforce addictive behaviour but playing online against real people is quite different from playing games offline.
The elites are already rubbing their hands with glee at how to make money out of declaring this an "addiction". That will be followed with compulsory and possibly govt founded counselling, maybe prescriptions from GPs for this 'illness'. And the inevitable litigation of "Mafia game made me addicted which made me rob bank" etc. :roll:

silverharp

I am into RTS like the Total War series but theres no WW2 version of that yet. I havent played WW2 strategy games before though many years ago I played Call of Duty (and completed it), Wolfenstein 3d (though thats paranormal-WW2) but they are 3D shooters.
we have the ww2 call of duty, apparently they are adding an aircraft section to the game which will be interesting. but i would love a playable map based game at the army level where you can decide how resources are used, i see there is a hearts of iron 4 now so maybe its moved on

Catalpast

As I’ve grown up I have had a SNES (LOVED Sim City on it), a Playstation (didn’t use it much), a PS2 (Ditto) and various PCs which I didn’t really game on.

I want to try the South Park games but my newest laptop is a few years old now and only has integrated graphics so I don’t know if even Stick of Truth will run.

Any advice please?
Maybe this one will interest you BB

Empires Apart is a Real Time Strategy game set in medieval times.

You will lead one of six uniquely designed factions in outstanding procedurally generated maps. Each game is a totally different experience as you collect resources, assemble your army and wage war against your enemies.

Play as the Aztecs, Chinese, French, Mongols, Arabs or Byzantines and fight with up to 7 opponents in ranked matches and lobbies. Or chose skirmish mode against the AI to train your skills before you challenge your friends in multiplayer mode. Gather resources during the day and withstand hordes of enemies at night in Survival Mode.

Collect Food, Wood, Gold and Stone. Build military and economic structures. Trade with allies, collect relics for powerful bonuses. Raise an army of spearmen, archers, knights and catapults. Choose your hero and lead your civilization to victory

Matrix Games - Empires Apart

Mercurial

Any advice please?
It depends on what kind of games you prefer and what your budget is.

Of the available console options, a PS4 is your best bet.

If budget isn't an issue, PCs are a superior platform in almost all cases.

Mercurial

The most recent is Hearts of Iron IV, which is pretty good (but it's a Paradox game, and those have notoriously steep learning curves).

Last time I played it I managed to gain independence for Ireland during WWII, which totally didn't involve an alliance with Hitler...

Catalpast

Check out the Matrix Games site

- plenty of Strategy Games there

Matrix Games - What's Your Strategy?

I just downloaded TOAW IV and Strategic Command WWI over Easter

TOAW is a great buy for the sheer number of scenarios included

Black Swan

I would advise PC because keyboard and mouse offers the best control method for all but the most basic games, configuration files are more customisable and you have the option of using your favourite console input controllers. If you want a competitive edge, you have the option of upgrading with a PC. If you're playing 3D games against other people, you will get slaughtered on a console against PC players. PC's are a bit more work to set up, but it's the best option unless you want to play with a permanent handicap.

New Threads

Most Replies