• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gang attacks students in Gaeltacht

Conrad

Hi. I really can't understand how this made the news at all. Spent a lot of years in the Gealtachts when I was younger. Getting in scraps with the locals, which would occasionally get out of hand, was almost garaunteed most years. Usually over a student trying it on a with a local woman, or a local lad trying it on with a student. Teenage egos flared and idiocy ensued.

Not only do incidents like this happen most years. They happen several times most Summers. Having been involved in such ridiculousness myself before, having bottles and rocks thrown at us. Again, really cant understand how this made the news, or are they insinuating they were attacked for being from Armagh?

Riadach

Hi. I really can't understand how this made the news at all. Spent a lot of years in the Gealtachts when I was younger. Getting in scraps with the locals, which would occasionally get out of hand, was almost garaunteed most years. Usually over a student trying it on a with a local woman, or a local lad trying it on with a student. Teenage egos flared and idiocy ensued.

Not only do incidents like this happen most years. They happen several times most Summers. Having been involved in such ridiculousness myself before, having bottles and rocks thrown at us. Again, really cant understand how this made the news, or are they insinuating they were attacked for being from Armagh?
Indeed, it happens in nearly every Gaeltacht, as doesn't end with teenagers. I was accosted in the Gaeltacht myself for chatting to a local young wan, I was careful enough not to inform them I was a screaming queen though.

Gabha Óir

Indeed, it happens in nearly every Gaeltacht, as doesn't end with teenagers. I was accosted in the Gaeltacht myself for chatting to a local young wan, I was careful enough not to inform them I was a screaming queen though.
No local screaming queens to fight with, eh?

As has been noted, it's like a right of passage for some muintir na háite and students as well. Why it's on the news, is beyond me.

And I'm not playing it down, but when the locals-daltaí annual handbags kicks off, the kids on both sides talk it up like a civil war.

dónal na geallaí

Cá raibh an áit sin? Must try to avoid it!

Seriously though,my lads went to Oilean Cléire a few times,no probs.Maybe cos the daltaí actually outnumber the locals.And loads of mates went to/sent kids to various coláistí samhraidh in Kerry and Waterford.Again,nothing to report.

Just as well;Munster people are a bit litigious.There would be a welter of writs if anyone got whacked with a hurley methinks.

Jquinn

Well the only outlets that are reporting it are highland radio, naturally, and BBC NI, who would report everytime a farmer in Fermanagh has a ********************e.

Jquinn

Well the only outlets that are reporting it are highland radio, naturally, and BBC NI, who would report everytime a farmer in Fermanagh has a ********************e.
And with all the crap they be talking about on here about NI, no one ever mentions the tiny media bubble that they live in.

I mean when is the last time that a Rape made the first news item on RTE.

Such a bad example to use I know, but what kind of an effect does the coverage of such an isolated - don't get me wrong, horrific for the victim - but isolated event as a primary story have on the listenership.

And day-in, day-out every little incident, is somewhere to be found of the news. Take the story of the two sexually abusive fermanagh brothers, and all movement about different wards being covered daily. Such trivialites shouldn't be up there for (national) consumption.

Is it just that the soldiers left, but the journalists stayed?

codology

Outsiders attacked by locals what will happen next I suppose night could follow day.

I got my very first kiss in the Gaelteacht in Carna, Galway when I was 13. I rushed straight back to the 7 other girls in the tigh with me, and at midnight they decided that yes, I might be pregnant because his tongue touched mine. I lived in fear for months. But I naturally never forgot that fella, even though it was a very very long time ago.

dónal na geallaí

I got my very first kiss in the Gaelteacht in Carna, Galway when I was 13. I rushed straight back to the 7 other girls in the tigh with me, and at midnight they decided that yes, I might be pregnant because his tongue touched mine. I lived in fear for months. But I naturally never forgot that fella, even though it was a very very long time ago.
Now that's more like it! My lads said they were 'all céili'd out' after three weeks.But they were able to show some young Americans how to do the 'Walls of Limerick' and I know they were as pleased as Punch with themselves.They can still do jigs and reels - you are right ,the Gaeltacht is unforgettable.

PS Hope the folks in Loch an Iur make it up to the lads.If not ,they may find the local economy getting even worse,shortly!

Riadach

Conrad

Now that's more like it! My lads said they were 'all céili'd out' after three weeks.But they were able to show some young Americans how to do the 'Walls of Limerick' and I know they were as pleased as Punch with themselves.They can still do jigs and reels - you are right ,the Gaeltacht is unforgettable.

PS Hope the folks in Loch an Iur make it up to the lads.If not ,they may find the local economy getting even worse,shortly!
Don't get me wrong, im not trying to paint the gaelteacht as some violent warzone, the summers i spent there are without doubt some of my best memories from childhood. Can't overstate what a great experience they were, didn't mean to portray them in a negative way. I was just stating that the story from the article wasn't a new occurance or even a uncommon one.

Still regularly attempt the Walls of Limrick myself when Im a bit worse for wear these days!

idle tim

Don't get me wrong, im not trying to paint the gaelteacht as some violent warzone, the summers i spent there are without doubt some of my best memories from childhood. Can't overstate what a great experience they were, didn't mean to portray them in a negative way. I was just stating that the story from the article wasn't a new occurance or even a uncommon one.

Still regularly attempt the Walls of Limrick myself when Im a bit worse for wear these days!
Never had the pleasure of the Gaelteacht experience but i spent a large chunk of my childhood/teen years in the Wexford countryside and as the token Dubs in town myself and my brothers were regularly challlanged at the crossroads,rarely got out of hand though and hurleys were for one thing only the fine art,which i never quiet mastered.

Riadach

What about 'striapach' - or is that ruder?:)
It is used, but tends to denote a hussey of the more professional variety. I hope no one is suggesting, or insinuating that Lazarus would have done such a thing.

Wigmore

I once kissed a young wan in the Gaelteacht, she was about thirteen at the time. She hadn't a clue and when I slipped her the tongue she legged it back to her buddies in a state of shock. Never found out what happened to her after that.