• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ganley and the Real Fine Gael?

Dr Pat

According to a report in today's Independent, some Fine Gael representatives unhappy with the Government's stance on the abortion issue are in contact with Declan Ganley about forming a new party. The report also speculates that McDowell might link up with Ganley as he also it is suggested wishes to re-enter politics.

FG rebels

Interesting times - the emergence of a credible rightwing alternative? Personally, I would view Ganley's 'coming out' as an EU enthusiast and a less than clear stance on limiting mass migration as impediments to popularity in the electoral stakes and McDowell has repeatedly shown himself to be a bit of a loose cannon.

Kev408

We have the Sun quoted on one thread and the SIndo on another this morning. We really have a dearth of useful print media. I reckon that's a major problem in itself.

Verhofstadt

Website
Ganley, McDowell, Creighton and Youth Defence.. That's a great electoral package alright.

Boy M5

Ganley I respect, the rest I don't. Like Ganley I'm a member of the emigrating class. In short he's better off standing himself as an independent than getting weighed down with a Fraggle Rock of assorted rightists from the "establishment"/ "elite", even if / especially if one is "Silvertongue" Mc Dowell.
Also he's not doctrinaire, though Catholic. He's not anti EU, (which I had always assumed was his stance), rather wants reform.
Funny theres an ad come up beside my comment box.
"protect life, Fine Gael"
Tell Fine Gael to Keep their Promise - Take the Pro Life Pledge

Do others have this little ad?

Last edited:

damoireland

We have the Sun quoted on one thread and the SIndo on another this morning. We really have a dearth of useful print media. I reckon that's a major problem in itself.
As opposed to what? the left wing Jizz rag that is the Irish Times?. Remember "Ireland murders Indian Doctor"

True Republican

come on ganley set up a new party and plenty of conservative fg tds will join. It would take quite a bit of support off fg and ff.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
come on ganley set up a new party and plenty of conservative fg tds will join. It would take quite a bit of support off fg and ff.
It may, of course, take quite a lot of support away from SF, those who have no real interest in SF and may even be concerned about some aspects but who are just so sick of the main parties.

True Republican

It may, of course, take quite a lot of support away from SF, those who have no real interest in SF and may even be concerned about some aspects but who are just so sick of the main parties.
plenty of people are voting sf because they believe in the moneyfairy and that there are painless solutions. Any potential new voters for a ganley led party would have centre right views as well as been socially conservative.

Verhofstadt

Website
Surely seeing that Ganley is ex FF a few of the old FF right wingers will join.

Hope it happens, it would be a great laugh, even more fun than the PDs.

Caroline Simons could be justice spokesperson, John McGuirk Public Morality spokesperson...

sic transit

They are all failed politicians, and didn't Ganley say he was out of politics? He's a single issue, one that is irrelevant to GEs, and really can't see any of them inspiring anything bar sniggers.

wombat

They are all failed politicians, and didn't Ganley say he was out of politics? He's a single issue, one that is irrelevant to GEs, and really can't see any of them inspiring anything bar sniggers.
More to the point, he's an FF eurosceptic, can't see him attracting FG voters.

Verhofstadt

Website
Oh do keep up. He has now appointed himself as representative of the Traditional Catholic Right on everything from abortion, the pope, gay marriage etc.

Don't know how true it is but rumour has it he bankrolled a load of buses from Galway up to Dublin for the Youth Defence rally.

Check out his twitter feed..

sic transit

Oh do keep up. He has now appointed himself as representative of the Traditional Catholic Right on everything from abortion, the pope, gay marriage etc.

Don't know how true it is but rumour has it he bankrolled a load of buses from Galway up to Dublin for the Youth Defence rally.

Check out his twitter feed..
I have better things to do with my life thanks. This sounds like utter opportunism, which is no surprise. There are no votes in it and certainly not a hope for a party based around this stuff.