• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ganley returns to public life

rubensni

He's criticising Gilmore for populist rhetoric? He has some nerve.

Catalpa

Interesting - but as he has discovered the localisms of the Irish Political System makes it very difficult for an Independent with a broader agenda to get through the gates of Leinster House.

Why not try Dublin West and run against the current MOF?

If he is still in contention at time of the next General Election that is.

Tigris Celtica

More Irish people should have listened to Ganley at the time of the Lisbon 2 vote. Ganley has been proven right.

Dr Pat

If Ganley does come back, he is to be welcomed as an independent articulate traditional conservative voice on political and social issues to try to counterbalance the received pc line promulgated by liberal and leftist elements and the media generally.

firefighter

Fair play to him. He's in the top 5% of any of those fat gimps sitting on their fat arses in Oireachtas Eireann.

He was right about Lisbon II. The proof is in the pudding.

vanla sighs

I liked that he took a stand on Lisbon but that's about all I'd have in common with his policies. He's far too rightwing, conservative, free market for my liking. But given the choice between one less FF'er or one more independent (even a conservative like Ganley) then I'd say go on ya good thing. And I say that as a leftwinger, lol. That's how much I detest FF.

Boy M5

I fear exactly what his populist agenda would be

firefighter

I liked that he took a stand on Lisbon but that's about all I'd have in common with his policies. He's far too rightwing, conservative, free market for my liking. But given the choice between one less FF'er or one more independent (even a conservative like Ganley) then I'd say go on ya good thing. And I say that as a leftwinger, lol. That's how much I detest FF.
I don't know where you're getting the right wing pigeon-holing from. So what if he's socially and economically conservative?

Anyway, we all know where liberal economic policies have got us now, don't we? But don't let that stop you from buying the Guardian (which nobody reads) and feeling all intellectual about yourself.

cjudge

He never really went away. I posted elsewhere

Ganley has been politically active on European affairs over the Summer. He addressed the Neuwaldegg Institute/ Hudson Institute/EICEE/ The Vienna Forum in May ( Theme Islam and the Future of Europe) and again in August, and also a private dinner at the Kildare Street and University Club ( attended by Freedom Institute bods).

http://www.mihaivladimirescu.ro/wp-c...ion-letter.pdf
http://fmv.vse.cz/wp-content/uploads...r-ve-Vidni.pdf
If he is starting a new party, or considering running as part of a network of independents, he will no doubt base his economic policy on the manifesto Dr Constantin Gurdgiev has published on his blog.

What do you think? Will he do it again?

vanla sighs

I don't know where you're getting the right wing pigeon-holing from. So what if he's socially and economically conservative?

Anyway, we all know where liberal economic policies have got us now, don't we? But don't let that stop you from buying the Guardian (which nobody reads) and feeling all intellectual about yourself.
Eh, are you trying to say Ganley isn't right wing? :roll: By the way, I seldom actually buy The Guardian petunia

Porgie

He never really went away. I posted elsewhere

If he is starting a new party, or considering running as part of a network of independents, he will no doubt base his economic policy on the manifesto Dr Constantin Gurdgiev has published on his blog.

What do you think? Will he do it again?
I sincerely hope he does it again, a new party is what we need here.

Watch the establishment parties spit teeth and hair at the prospect of him returning. They truly fear him as was borne out in the Lisbon referendums.

If he makes them squirm by way of shaking up politics here by setting up a new party he will get two votes from my house guarranteed!

On_The_Far_Right

It would be great if Ganley & co managed to put together another political organisation (right of centre) ahead of the GE. Eat up the ex-PD vote, give those of us in FG who are peeved off with the lack of "killer instinct" the party shows, and those of us generally right of centre on economics and who support firm, harsh and fair reform of public services.

Ganley has an impressive record in business, making money, slashing waste and being a reformer - not to mention he was right on L2. With the HSE in chaos, PS dragging their feet on their massive wages and poor efficiencies - Ganley could be just what the country needs: Balls, Brains and Brilliance :)

Clanrickard

Great news if true. I'd definitely support him and campaign for him. If he is right wing so much the better we need a proper right wing party in this country.

I hope he starts a new party, I would gladly become a member.

If there is anyone who has the money to breath fresh life into Irish politics its got to be Declan.

HanleyS

I'm not sure how the current problems can be linked to Lisbon 2. Sure the claims made in the 'Yes' campaigns were ridiculous but is he now saying the reason those proved false was Lisbon 2? I think the referendum is largely an irrelevance to our economic situation.

antiestablishmentarian

Yeah, because deregulating financial markets and stoking a gigantic property bubble are characteristics of leftie economics right :roll:.