• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Garda accidentally shoots a man in the face

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Last edited:

Prester Jim

Accidentally shot in the face?
That Garda should never be given any kind of firearm again for a start.
Unless the victim was lying down or a foot tall how could the Garda have been aiming it at a face accidentally unless he was plonking about and what about safety catches?

Levellers

Lack of detail such as 'known to Gardai' or 'gun being examined' usually means a foul up.

Hunter-Gatherer

was the 'victim' being threatening at the time ? What is his previous track record ?

surprised at this. Normally its the crooks winning all the fights in Ireland.

What was he guilty of ? Was the tax disc on his car out of date ?

Last edited:

eoghanacht

Let's wait for the facts, or a version of them anyway.

Or...

Pro establishment shills to the one side.

Those opposed to on going Garda/political corruption the other.

Ready, steady....

Toland

Website
Unless the victim was lying down or a foot tall how could the Garda have been aiming it at a face accidentally unless he was plonking about and what about safety catches?
We can never see what happened, but the idea of someone being shot in the face accidentally certainly conjures up worrying images of a guard suffering from a mix up between the real world and that of Dirty Harry.

I hope that image is entirely without foundation.

Prester Jim

Let's wait for the facts, or a version of them anyway.

Or...

Pro establishment shills to the one side.

Those opposed to on going Garda/political corruption the other.

Ready, steady....
Fair enough but politics doesn't come into it, I would be more concerned about individual competence in this case.

eoghanacht

Worrying, though, isn't it?
Seeing how there's no public/political will to reform AGS can you blame the bent ones for getting brave, here we go after the whistle blower and promote the corrupt ones.

Toland

Website
Seeing how there's no public/political will to reform AGS can you blame the bent ones for getting brave, here we go after the whistle blower and promote the corrupt ones.
You know I'm not a fan of the Guards. I don't know whether this incident helps justify my low opinion of them in general.

I hope the victim makes as full a recovery as possible, and that his injuries don't leave him disfigured for life.

eoghanacht

Fair enough but politics doesn't come into it, I would be more concerned about individual competence in this case.
On the contrary, politics might be the very reason this guard is on duty.

He could be a violent thug brandishing a gun to frighten the guy and it went off or he could be totally blame free and the guy could have lunged and a wrestling match ensued.

However the onus is on us to keep highlighting the need for reform and the lack of political will to do so.

Orbit v2

Funnily enough, I was stopped at two checkpoints over the last couple of evenings, ostensibly checking for tax/insurance, but there was an armed garda there both times. So, it'd be nice to know they know where the safety switch is.

Therightroad

The West Limerick - north Kerry area has been destroyed in the last year or two with robberies since Fine Gael closed a number of Garda Stations . Home heating oil wouldn't be in your tank a day before it's gone , farmers badly hit , gates , machinery , quad bikes have been stolen etc ,businesses closing down they have been robbed so often ,
a number of Irish traveller and foreign gangs active in the area .

Prester Jim

Funnily enough, I was stopped at two checkpoints over the last couple of evenings, ostensibly checking for tax/insurance, but there was an armed garda there both times. So, it'd be nice to know they know where the safety switch is.
We know that a lot of Gardai have not been trained in their areas for a couple of years now due to cuts, you would have to fervently hope that they gave them firearms training before they gave them semi-automatic firearms etc.
Hundreds of gardaí at risk of fines if they drive with blue lights and sirens
AGSI says gardaí not prepared for terror threat - RTÉ News

Prester Jim

On the contrary, politics might be the very reason this guard is on duty.

He could be a violent thug brandishing a gun to frighten the guy and it went off or he could be totally blame free and the guy could have lunged and a wrestling match ensued.

However the onus is on us to keep highlighting the need for reform and the lack of political will to do so.
Or he may have just had the safety off and been using his gun to point at a bit of cabbage in the victims teeth, we just don't know.

Half Nelson

An acquaintance of mine was innocently parked outside a certain bank at 8:15 am. There was a tap on his window and when he lowered it he had a gun barrel shoved into his face by a garda detective.
When asked for ID, the man made the second mistake of reaching for the glove compartment, whereupon the gun barrel was pressed to the back of his skull.

former wesleyan

How do you know it was the Gardas gun ? Or how do you know that the Garda was in full control of it at the time ?

cozzy121

An acquaintance of mine was innocently parked outside a certain bank at 8:15 am. There was a tap on his window and when he lowered it he had a gun barrel shoved into his face by a garda detective.
When asked for ID, the man made the second mistake of reaching for the glove compartment, whereupon the gun barrel was pressed to the back of his skull.
Sounds like the Detective & ERC guys have been sent to gun school taring in america. Probably the same shooting range that lets 9year olds shoot uzi's

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/09/02/girl-who-accidentally-shot-her-instructor-with-an-uzi-said-the-gun-was-too-much-for-her/?utm_term=.dbbc8d9bf771

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies