• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Garda dies following Donegal crash

cowen missteps again

why did he declare the fact that he was going to Buncrana?

he should have just gone there, stealth. no need to state so while in Derry.

cowen... when it comes to words v actions, verbal diarrhea wins out everytime...

Capt Blah

Website
www.mehearty.blogspot.com
First, the death of this young man is a tragedy - regardless of his profession.

Beyond that we have no way of knowing what happened. The only thing we can be 100% certain of is that the gardai will represent the events of that evening in a way which makes them look as valiant and noble as possible.

In so far as I understand the situation, the gardai recognised an occupant of the other car as someone they wanted to question -- of course, this could just be an effort to justify their actions.

The points made by previous posters relating to garda training are spot-on. Even when speaking to a member of the gardai it is apparent that they have not been properly and effectively trained to conduct themselves appropriately. And when reporting a criminal act one generally has the sense that there is little motivation on the part of the gardai to investigate the matter. One gets the sense that they have not been schooled in basic deductive/inductive investigative methodology (fundamentals of policing).

I was, at one time, hopeful that that ombudsman would cause a significant improvement in garda behaviour -- but time is passing and this seems not to be the case. It looks like the only hope we have of enjoying the benefits of effective policing will be the introduction of a Federal European police-force (which is not my ideal by any means!).

TheTipperaryMan

The fleet of patrol cars used by the Garda are literally family saloon cars which have no modifications to protect officers from impacts.
In the United States specially built vehicles are provided that offer much more protection.

Capt Blah

Website
The fleet of patrol cars used by the Garda are literally family saloon cars which have no modifications to protect officers from impacts.
In the United States specially built vehicles are provided that offer much more protection.
Well, the main use of garda cars is for quick trips to the local Centra / Londis to get rolls and sandwiches...oh, and to use the "blue" to blag free coffees. To that end, most are equipped with cup-holders and compartments for food-storage.

Smiegal

Well, the main use of garda cars is for quick trips to the local Centra / Londis to get rolls and sandwiches...oh, and to use the "blue" to blag free coffees. To that end, most are equipped with cup-holders and compartments for food-storage.
Sick is the word that comes to mind after reading your post considering the nature of this thread. Your obviously anti-guard, but for Christs sake lad have some respect and do it on a different thread.
RIP to the young man. This thread should be closed by admin before any more of these heartless people can have another swipe

Capt Blah

Website
Sick is the word that comes to mind after reading your post considering the nature of this thread. Your obviously anti-guard, but for Christs sake lad have some respect and do it on a different thread.
RIP to the young man. This thread should be closed by admin before any more of these heartless people can have another swipe
In my first post on this thread I expressed the view that the death of this young man was a tragedy, irrespective of his profession.

I am not "anti-gard", rather I am pro effective policing.

My later remarks were a reflection on the relative uselessness of the gardai as a crime-fighting force and on the fact that they do seem to spend much of their time engaged in food collection and drinking after hours. I remember, as a student, working in a hotel, where the gardai would congregate about once per month for a few free pints at 3 or 4 am. I later discovered that they "hit" a different bar or hotel each night, then departed to go to the local 24-hour shop for food.

Doesn't say much for the supervisory function in the gards, does it?

The Fusilier

I am not "anti-gard", rather I am pro effective policing.
Then have a bit of decency and start a seperate thread rather than using on dealing with a garda killed in the line of duty.

turdsl

Regarding the heading of the thread, your sarcasm is been treated with contempt,but then again I suppose ignorance can be used as an excuse.

Capt Blah

Website
Regarding the heading of the thread, your sarcasm is been treated with contempt,but then again I suppose ignorance can be used as an excuse.
Ah, don't be too hard on yourself. I wouldn't describe it as ignorance - bad grammar, perhaps, along with poor sentence structure.

Do you know that there are literacy schemes for adults? Take a look at the parish newsletter.

Tomas Mor

Scumbags smashed and took away the little memorial Garda McLoughlin's family put up at Burt where he was killed. They took some of it with graffiti on it and placed it on the bonnet of brother of late garda's girlfriend's car. How low can you get. Reminds me of desecration of graves in Castlederg during the troubles.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies