Garda efficiency?

sauntersplash

That attitude has been formed on the basis of the evidence to date (remember the reforms that were supposed to accompany benchmarking?), not because people have been brainwashed by the neo-liberal elite that the unions claim have distorted debate in politics and the media.
I think he kinda disproves his own point here. What evidence does he have regarding benchmarking reforms?

The Gardai are a shambles and no mistake but as per usual we get a pinch of common sense followed by a shovel full of spiteful editorialism in this article.

locke

The irony is that a number of the issues he brings up are frustrations to members of the gardai as well.

Few members went into the force with the intention of being stuck in the radio room or monitoring CCTV cameras (jobs that could easily be done by civilians), yet that is where they spend around a quarter of their time.

At the same time as that, they get assigned cases to investigate. Yet in every shift, they are assigned a task - on the beat, in a patrol car, on the public desk, radio room etc. So you can imagine how well investigated the low-level offences that don't attract the attention of the detective branch are.

Someone needs to take the senior garda ranks aside and explain to them that their job isn't just about prestige. They need to look at both technology and policing methods used in other countries and see what can be applied here. They need to examine the efficiency and in particular the HR practices of their organisation. If they did these things, both members of the public and rank and file gardai would end up thanking them.

B

birthday

I think he kinda disproves his own point here. What evidence does he have regarding benchmarking reforms?

The Gardai are a shambles and no mistake but as per usual we get a pinch of common sense followed by a shovel full of spiteful editorialism in this article.
My point has nothing to do with benchmarking.
Simply stated have bonus payments been made to Garda management and/or top Dept of Justice Officials in recent years, given the 'shambles' that exists?

patslatt

Why is Garda admin stuck in the pen and ink days of two generations ago?

The irony is that a number of the issues he brings up are frustrations to members of the gardai as well.

Few members went into the force with the intention of being stuck in the radio room or monitoring CCTV cameras (jobs that could easily be done by civilians), yet that is where they spend around a quarter of their time.

At the same time as that, they get assigned cases to investigate. Yet in every shift, they are assigned a task - on the beat, in a patrol car, on the public desk, radio room etc. So you can imagine how well investigated the low-level offences that don't attract the attention of the detective branch are.

Someone needs to take the senior garda ranks aside and explain to them that their job isn't just about prestige. They need to look at both technology and policing methods used in other countries and see what can be applied here. They need to examine the efficiency and in particular the HR practices of their organisation. If they did these things, both members of the public and rank and file gardai would end up thanking them.
The opening paragraphs of Cooper's article make it plain that the Garda leadership are uninterested in admin technology,incapable of implementing it or both.

It is interesting to speculate on the the reasons for this. A consultant trainer in IT networks of my acquaintance told me about seven years ago that the people he had to deal with in garda management were the most difficult people he had to deal with among all his clients. Maybe too many people in management have risen beyond their area of competence,given that the garda traditionally reserved jobs for garda that in most countries are performed by civilians. There are garda heads of IT and human resources,for instance. While civilians represent about 50% of police force personnel in the UK,in Ireland the figure is only about 20%.

Which raises the question as to why our political leaders tolerated this nonsense for generations. Did they fear that the gardai could expose skeletons in the closets? Or is it traditional Irish lazy ways?

charley

a lot of gardaí are doing the best they can with very poor equipment, garda stations that a dog warden would fine you for keeping animals in, clapped out mondeos with a 150k on the clock.overtime bans leaving no one available for quick response, little thugs who think nothing of driving over garda. as public servants go they wouldn't be the worst

Utopian Hermit Monk

Great clip from Slane Castle last night. petunia

[video=youtube;qADOIxlyWec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=qADOIxlyWec[/video]
An unsuspecting Garda, repeating exit directions after the Foo Fighters gig in Slane, got more than she expected from the crowd!

Utopian Hermit Monk

I think they were inspired by this:

[video=youtube;QereR0CViMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY[/video]

:D

freewillie

Great clip from Slane Castle last night. petunia

[video=youtube;qADOIxlyWec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=qADOIxlyWec[/video]
An unsuspecting Garda, repeating exit directions after the Foo Fighters gig in Slane, got more than she expected from the crowd!
This shows the good relationship police in Ireland have with people. I wouldn't chance this with the Turks or Italians

Utopian Hermit Monk

This shows the good relationship police in Ireland have with people. ...
True. And they should be careful not to squander that good will. It is one of their most important weapons in doing their job.

Speaking of Slane, a cool pic of Michael D. at Bob Dylan's 1984 gig is gaining lots of plaudits:

slane_1984-312x500.jpg

:)

freewillie

True. And they should be careful not to squander that good will. It is one of their most important weapons in doing their job.

Speaking of Slane, a cool pic of Michael D. at Bob Dylan's 1984 gig is gaining lots of plaudits:

slane_1984-312x500.jpg

Is he the fella standing or the fella on the ground conked out from drink?

brehony

slane_1984-312x500.jpg

A yes, the Slane riot of 1984, which, if I am not mistaken, was the only riot to have ever occurred at a Bob Dylan gig!

retep

A yes, the Slane riot of 1984, which, if I am not mistaken, was the only riot to have ever occurred at a Bob Dylan gig!
In fairness to the bould Mr Zimmerman, I seem to recall the riot in Slane occurred on the Saturday whilst the concert was on Sunday so technically it didn't occur at Bob's gig

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies