Garda "granted" €1M - WTF

Ciarrai75

See this article:

Garda who had legs crushed by stolen car gets €975,000 compensation

Do I understand this right? The taxpayer is forking out €1M to this guard because his legs got broken while he was doing his job?

And the judge smugly "congratulated the parties on reaching agreement on the level of compensation without a full hearing, which he said was always the preferable approach in such serious cases"

1 million euro of taxpayer money?

Guards, judges, state lawyers, one big festering pack of parasites with their ugly snouts stuck deep in the taxpayer-filled trough.

Newrybhoy

See this article:

Do I understand this right? The taxpayer is forking out €1M to this guard because his legs got broken while he was doing his job?

And the judge smugly "congratulated the parties on reaching agreement on the level of compensation without a full hearing, which he said was always the preferable approach in such serious cases"

Guards, judges, state lawyers, one big festering pack of parasites with their ugly snouts stuck deep in the taxpayer-filled trough.
The Garda had his legs crushed by having them repeatedly driven over by a criminal. He hasn't worked since and may never work again.

He put his life on the line to safeguard the public and you would begrudge him the money to try to have a decent life.

GrimReefer

See this article:

What's an appropriate level of compensation then for a peacekeeper who put his body and life in the line of fire and was duly damaged, irreparably?

What's the price of a pair of legs these days, anyway?

What would you accept in the position of the garda? 25k a year for medical care and loss of future earnings? 39 years of this support, not unreasonable for someone in middle age = 975,000 euros.

No doubt, you'd be like the Black Knight, nipping at kneecaps and spurting blood. Because you is old school, yeah.

Baron von Biffo

See this article:

And the award for the most mind-numbingly stupid OP of 2019 goes to...

Baron von Biffo

The Garda had his legs crushed by having them repeatedly driven over by a criminal. He hasn't worked since and may never work again.

He put his life on the line to safeguard the public and you would begrudge him the money to try to have a decent life.
I wonder how much the state will pay for the criminal over the course of his life and if he will ever repay a cent of it through tax on money he earned doing an honest days work.

firefly123

See this article:

What would you have deemed an appropriate amount?

former wesleyan

See this article:

And wbat do you do for a living, as a matter of interest ?

Buchaill Dana

See this article:

Price of everything and value of nothing.

Calling this fella a parasite is a mile offside

Round tower

It's not the same but it's a ridicolous compensation claim, the girl was deemed to be 25% responsible, she should have being 50% responsible, their was a question about a tray being offered or not. She was with her grandmother, did she not see the possibility of carrying a hot drink under elbow

Myers Mimnagh

See this article:

There’s a lot of ridiculous payouts in these events, but this is not one of them.

The sentence for the scrote who repeatedly drove over his legs is ridiculous,though.

Watcher2

I read the article yesterday but didn't comment. I don't think the article says how old the garda is. If he is a young lad, €1m is not a lot. If his average salary for the rest of his otherwise garda working life, is say €50,000, €1m is just 20 years. In 20 years time, that salary would end up much lower than €50k and inflation will have an impact too.

Now, the guy had his legs crushed by repeated rolls over them. He is reportedly going to be in a bad way for a very long time. So his medical bills will be higher than most too and then there is the additional suffering he has already gone through and which he will likely go though for the rest of his days.

€1m doesn't sound so much in that context.

EDIT: Now he wont be completely useless and could likely find gainful employment down the road. "Disabled" persons are perfectly capable of filling various job roles, but how do we account for this in the calculation of damages? I certainly don't know nor do I think this fact should decrease his €1m payout.

Last edited:

Lagertha

I wonder how much the state will pay for the criminal over the course of his life and if he will ever repay a cent of it through tax on money he earned doing an honest days work.
Sometimes I think it's a shame we stopped making prisoners break rocks all day long or spend the day going around and around on a big treadmill. Now they get more services in jail than someone from a poor background who tries to make something of themselves. They don't serve the full sentence they're given and he'll probably be treated like a hero by the other pond life he's in jail with.

firefly123

Anybody who seriously injures a Garda or prison officer should be looking at a much steeper sentence. Criminals should be intimidated, not our guys.
anyone in the course of their work is suggest.

Newrybhoy

Anybody who seriously injures a Garda or prison officer should be looking at a much steeper sentence. Criminals should be intimidated, not our guys.
It should be a year inside for any assault on firemen,paramedics,nurses,doctors or police officers.

No discussion, no excuses.

Myers Mimnagh

It should be a year inside for any assault on firemen,paramedics,nurses,doctors or police officers.

Correct, then these arsewipes might just think before they act.

Northsideman

A year inside is less than six months in many instances, what's needed is statutory minimum sentences with NO judicial discretion and with NO early release.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies