Garda issue warning over online racism

Sean O'Brian

I saw this in the Irish Times and it reminded of a comment on the 'Lenihan to address Béal na mBláth' thread where someone said that traitors who make fascist salutes (Cumann na nGaedhael) don't deserve free speech. It also reminded me of the controversy regarding Kevin Myers, who was under garda investigation two years ago for urging an end to all aid to Africa -- in quite colourful terms.

Since those who favour immigration restrictionism are routinely accused of racism on this site, is there a danger they could face prosecution by the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office? It seems to me that while 'incitement to violence' is very clear-cut, 'incitement to hatred' is a matter of open interpretation -- and this ambiguity could lead to a chilling effect on the discussion of sensitive topics.

THE GARDA have warned people who set up pages inciting racism on online social networks that they are open to prosecution, and even people who join these sites could face charges.

Sgt David McInerney of the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office said site hosts like Facebook were also “open to prosecution” if there was a valid complaint about racist online material.

“It is only a matter of time before a prosecution is brought,” he said.

[...]

Sgt McInerney encouraged people with complaints to continue to come forward. He described racist online activity as “very harmful” and “a very very serious form of crime. People don’t realise the harm it causes. Such sites can lead directly to racial abuse against minorities in the streets.”

Also condemning the sites, Minister for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs Pat Carey said: “Social networking sites have a responsibility to ensure that the platforms they provide aren’t being abused.

“There is a constant need for vigilance in relation to racism. Racism should be confronted however and wherever it manifests itself.”

The Minister’s reconfigured department now has responsibility for the Government’s equality remit, formerly with the Department of Justice.

Dr Pat

I saw this in the Irish Times and it reminded of a comment on the 'Lenihan to address Béal na mBláth' thread where someone said that traitors who make fascist salutes (Cumann na nGaedhael) don't deserve free speech. It also reminded me of the controversy regarding Kevin Myers, who was under garda investigation two years ago for urging an end to all aid to Africa -- in quite colourful terms.

Since those who favour immigration restrictionism are routinely accused of racism on this site, is there a danger they could face prosecution by the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office? It seems to me that while 'incitement to violence' is very clear-cut, 'incitement to hatred' is a matter of open interpretation -- and this ambiguity could lead to a chilling effect on the discussion of sensitive topics.

PC madness. A bleak future for Ireland if this sort of nonsense continues.

Clanrickard

Total pc rubbish. You'd think the guards would have enough to do.

kerdasi amaq

What they're really saying is that it is illegal to oppose the foreign invasion and takeover of Ireland, a policy mandated by our elected professional politicians.

pinemartin

What they're really saying is that it is illegal to oppose the foreign invasion and takeover of Ireland, a policy mandated by our elected professional politicians.
thats right, elected by you and me, thats democracy.

former wesleyan

Read the article. It's about Facebook sites set up to slag off travellers.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
The author of this Allen Meaghar, Sgt David McInerney and Minister for Community, mumbo-jumbo and Gaeltacht Affairs Pat Carey would want to explain how living in caravans on the side of the road can transform someone into a member of another race. Idiots.

typical

The author of this Allen Meaghar, Sgt David McInerney and Minister for Community, mumbo-jumbo and Gaeltacht Affairs Pat Carey would want to explain how living in caravans on the side of the road can transform someone into a member of another race. Idiots.
It allows them to ring fence travelers and treat them as a separate entity from everyone else, it supports their mental apartheid, they feel more comfortable if travelers are "different" to them.

MichaelR

As a non-Irish national in county Limerick, I would like to note I'm more interested in Garda resources for crushing violent crime than any slagging directed at non-nationals like me.

Dr Pat

Madam Editor IT, RAR (all 3 of them),the Immigration Council of Ireland, the assorted immigration professional support lobbyists, Uncle Tom Multicultural Cobbley and all must be wetting themselves with excitement with the thought of getting the guards, while cowardly politicians make all the right noises, to push their pc views down the throats of the us plebs. Makes one's stomach churn.

Last edited:

Mossy Heneberry

Well this is worrying because the Gardaí have adopted one aspect of the MacPherson report in 2001.

This is the recommendation: ‘definition of a racist incident’, described as:
Any incident which is perceived to be racist by:-
The Victim;
A Witness to the Incident;
Any person acting on behalf of the victim; and/or;
A Police Officer.

Odyessus

Well this is worrying because the Gardaí have adopted one aspect of the MacPherson report in 2001.

This is the recommendation: ‘definition of a racist incident’, described as:
Any incident which is perceived to be racist by:-
The Victim;
A Witness to the Incident;
Any person acting on behalf of the victim; and/or;
A Police Officer.

What part of this have they adopted?

neiphin

no mention of that tramp bertie

"secret"

Yes you are very right in this one.

Its not a race its just a culture of people who wanted to live free.

papaquebec

Yes you are very right in this one.

Its not a race its just a culture of people who wanted to live free.
At the expense of others!

wretchedwilbur

Travellers are a blight on the land - culture my ballcocks. They're uncouth and fragrant.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies