Garda Pay: Average Remuneration is €100,000 when pensions are included.

Munnkeyman

Haddington Road Agreement AGS Review report into Gardaí pay breaks down the salary and pay for Gardaí across the ranks.
The report also criticises the industrial relations in An Garda Síochána and deems them "effectively broken".

The report found that, when new recruits were excluded, 10 per cent of gardaí earned more than €74,000; while 10 per cent of gardaí earned less than €54,000.
For rank and file gardaí (of which there were 9,791), the average pay was €63,327.
For sergeants (of which there were 1,922) the average was €72,690.
For inspectors (of which there were 317), the average was € 85,423.
For superintendents (of which there were 162), the average was €87,699.
For chief superintendents (of which there were 44), the average was €101,161.

Striking gardaí should lose pension benefits, says pay report
The first is basic pay, which following the recent Labour Court recommendation, will range from €30,000 to €50,000 at garda rank. By his calculation, allowances and overtime add a further 30%. He then describes the garda pension entitlements as a substantial and significant benefit, which he calculates would require an extra €40,000 a year to fund. This would bring the real value of total average garda compensation to around €100,000.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1212/838198-garda-pensions/

Last edited:

Spanner Island

Saw that...

The unions won't be happy... which always makes me happy... :)

F*** 'em... everyone knows they (PS unions) are screwing us left right and centre anyway...

The trickle up boll*cks in PS land whereby a pay award at front line level feeds all the way up through the rotten system via increments etc. needs to end too...

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

stanley

Saw that...

F*** 'em... everyone knows they (PS unions) are screwing us left right and centre anyway...

The trickle up boll*cks in PS land whereby a pay award at front line level feeds all the way up through the rotten system needs to end too...

It used to be the ESB, now it is the Gardai who fck us regardless and live among us, always the same, a group of workers have a strategic advantage and beat us with it, you never see the politicians on strike though, they just bang ahead with their increases/expenses because they can, that's the example shown from the top.

Munnkeyman

Saw that...

The trickle up boll*cks in PS land whereby a pay award at front line level feeds all the way up through the rotten system via increments etc. needs to end too...

They aren't even unions.

D

Deleted member 17573

If the basic pay of gardai at the top of the pay scale is of the order of €50,000, that would, assuming a pension calculated at 50% of basic pay, yield a pension of €25,000 p.a. It is difficult to see how this would require funding of €40,000 p.a.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
AGSI Respond To John Horgan Report - AGSI
“Recognition of uniqueness of Gardaí welcome, but Horgan Report contradicts this position by suggesting Gardaí should be dealt with in Public Sector Pay Commission and give up their right to strike”
“Horgan Report a missed opportunity to forensically examine pay, allowances and industrial relations matters in the Garda organisation”
“To quote Mr. Horgan he used ‘rough and ready calculations’ of Garda pay which is irresponsible given his position, and they are grossly over-estimated”

Sister Mercedes

On the 6.1 news Sharon wasn't happy with Ingrid. 'Ingrid this isn't what we were told during the recent dispute ...'

Ouch.

brughahaha

Well I suppose the fact that this stuff is even getting an airing is progress of sorts .......

On that sort of money you'd expect a professional police force not the lazy useless time servers we get ............

mr_anderson

If the basic pay of gardai at the top of the pay scale is of the order of €50,000, that would, assuming a pension calculated at 50% of basic pay, yield a pension of €25,000 p.a. It is difficult to see how this would require funding of €40,000 p.a.

It's difficult ?
Nooo. All too easy.

Early retirement & the Lump Sum game add a colossol cost to the overall.

Gardaí are retiring with average lump sums of €100,000 on top of their pensions, which shows taxpayers are paying “over the odds” to fund generous packages.
Gardaí can retire as young as 50 as long as they have accrued 30 years service, while members must retire on reaching the age of 60.

Pay scales go from €25,745 to €45,793 for a garda; €46,229 to €53,119 for a sergeant; €53,404 to €59,178 for an inspector; and €72,841 to €84,909 for a superintendent with chief superintendents enjoying a salary range of €87,259 to €104,457. Assistant commissioners enjoy a salary of €144,213; deputy commissioners receive a salary of €163,365; with the commissioner paid €204,386.

Members who retire on full service receive an annual pension of 50% of their final salary and a one-off gratuity of 150% of their final salary.
ISME chief criticises

D

Deleted member 17573

It's difficult ?
Nooo. All too easy.

Early retirement & the Lump Sum game add a colossol cost to the overall.

ISME chief criticises
Right, I was omitting the lump sum, but that still leaves us with a pension of €25k and a lump sum of €75k, and if that lump sum were to be allocated over the life of the pension it would only be about 3k p.a. So we're talking about it requiring €40k a year invested over 30 years to fund a pension of less than €30k for probably about 25 years.

brughahaha

Right, I was omitting the lump sum, but that still leaves us with a pension of €25k and a lump sum of €75k, and if that lump sum were to be allocated over the life of the pension it would only be about 3k p.a. So we're talking about it requiring €40k a year invested over 30 years to fund a pension of less than €30k for probably about 25 years.
I think he said the average value of a Garda pension was about 40 k a year
Also some allowances are pensionable so nearer 30 k is the lowest it can be
Currently an annuity is about 210,000 per 10 k , but that's from age 65 ....and no widows
So a pension of 30 k From age 55 excluding lump and widows would easily require 930,000 of a pot. over 30 years that's 31 k a year excluding lump and widows

When you include seargents and inspectors in the average, 40 k looks on the low side to me

alloverbartheshouting

Should have been a Guard instead of a teacher. Bloody height restrictions.

Seriously though, John Jacob from AGSI was worse than brutal this afternoon on Newstalk. No substance, just deflection. And badly delivered at that.

constitutionus

On the 6.1 news Sharon wasn't happy with Ingrid. 'Ingrid this isn't what we were told during the recent dispute ...'

Ouch.
have to admit the sound bite of the day for me was for all the crying about gards sleeping in their cars and the much touted 23k figure during the dispute to find out not a single gard earned less than 30k a year this year was quite the revelation.

funny how they couldnt wait for this report before settling isnt it?

Munnkeyman

Should have been a Guard instead of a teacher. Bloody height restrictions.

Seriously though, John Jacob from AGSI was worse than brutal this afternoon on Newstalk. No substance, just deflection. And badly delivered at that.

The disorganised shambles they have made of this really is a poor reflection on them. Piss-up in a brewery and all that!

D

Deleted member 17573

I think he said the average value of a Garda pension was about 40 k a year
Also some allowances are pensionable so nearer 30 k is the lowest it can be
Currently an annuity is about 210,000 per 10 k , but that's from age 65 ....and no widows
So a pension of 30 k From age 55 excluding lump and widows would easily require 930,000 of a pot. over 30 years that's 31 k a year excluding lump and widows

When you include seargents and inspectors in the average, 40 k looks on the low side to me
Ya - I see where the figure is coming from alright. I think they pay a contribution in respect of the widows bit but I could not say how adequate it is. Thanks!

New Threads

Most Replies