Garda shot dead in Roscommon

The Inspector General

What happened is this, Silver had his motorbike for sale, a character well known to Silver expressed an interest in buying the bike, we'll call this character, Tattoo Head. Both were well known to the Guards. Silver brought the bike to Castlerea for Tattoo Head to look at it.

Tattoo Head was riding the bike up and down Main Street, a complaint was made to the Garda Station about the noise, two trainee Guards out of Templemore were sent to deal with it, they arrived in a squad car and began talking out the window of the squad car to Silver who was with the motor bike at this stage at the junction of Main Street and Patrick Street.
Tattoo Head made himself scarce, and crossed the street and began filming the interaction between Silver and the Guards on his camera phone.

Detective Horkan arrived in his car and parked his car behind the squad car. I'm unclear whether he had just finished his shift and was going home or that he came to see how the two young Guards were getting on.

Det. Horkan got out of his car, and approached Silver who would have been well known to him since 2003.
Silver became irate and began shouting abuse at Det. Horkan. Det Horkan was known for being good at talking down irate individuals.

Silver struck Det. Horkan a punch in the face, that knocked him backwards and he hit the back of his head on the footpath and was out cold, his holster was exposed, Silver took the gun out and pushed up the clip of the gun which is not something an ordinary Joe would know how to do and Silver shot Det. Horkan in the face. The trainee Guards in the squad car pressed the red button for assistance. Silver then began shooting in an arc across the juction and emptied the gun.
The Guards arrived on the scene, arrested Silver, the trainee Guards were frozen in the squad car. Tattoo Head was stunned by what he had witnessed.
Shocking and sad.

Buchaill Dana

Thank you
If they can lose files, guns, money and a gate, sure what's the odd prisoner.
My first thought was mistrial. How the fock can the Gardai and DPP not know he was in the CMH?

The Director of Public Prosecutions was unaware the accused murderer of an on duty Garda had been moved out of the prison system to a hospital.

What. The. Fock.

gijoe

You might remember him as the professional mad bastard giving the Guards abuse on Inside the K.
I've no agenda for the guy but where is the 'criminal damage' here? OK they didn't like his comments but he is a member of the public and it was open for members of the public to make comments and surely freedom of expression allows him to make whatever comment he wanted too - including negative one's. This sounds like a makey uppey charge that is really beyond the pale.

The Inspector General

One arm of the state are unaware another arm of the state have deemed him mentally unsound and lost him in the system. Cases have been lost on far smaller technicalities.
Nonsense. That would have no bearing on a criminal trial. How is the accused prejudiced by it? Its administrative incompetence but it won't affect a trial.

Barroso

What happened is this, Silver had his motorbike for sale, a character well known to Silver expressed an interest in buying the bike, we'll call this character, Tattoo Head. Both were well known to the Guards. Silver brought the bike to Castlerea for Tattoo Head to look at it.

Tattoo Head was riding the bike up and down Main Street, a complaint was made to the Garda Station about the noise, two trainee Guards out of Templemore were sent to deal with it, they arrived in a squad car and began talking out the window of the squad car to Silver who was with the motor bike at this stage at the junction of Main Street and Patrick Street.
Tattoo Head made himself scarce, and crossed the street and began filming the interaction between Silver and the Guards on his camera phone.

Detective Horkan arrived in his car and parked his car behind the squad car. I'm unclear whether he had just finished his shift and was going home or that he came to see how the two young Guards were getting on.

Det. Horkan got out of his car, and approached Silver who would have been well known to him since 2003.
Silver became irate and began shouting abuse at Det. Horkan. Det Horkan was known for being good at talking down irate individuals.

Silver struck Det. Horkan a punch in the face, that knocked him backwards and he hit the back of his head on the footpath and was out cold, his holster was exposed, Silver took the gun out and pushed up the clip of the gun which is not something an ordinary Joe would know how to do and Silver shot Det. Horkan in the face. The trainee Guards in the squad car pressed the red button for assistance. Silver then began shooting in an arc across the juction and emptied the gun.
The Guards arrived on the scene, arrested Silver, the trainee Guards were frozen in the squad car. Tattoo Head was stunned by what he had witnessed.
If the video evidence supports that, it's a cut and dried case then.

Buchaill Dana

Nonsense. That would have no bearing on a criminal trial. How is the accused prejudiced by it? Its administrative incompetence but it won't affect a trial.
Administrative incompetence never burst a trial?

Buchaill Dana

Not the sort that happened here.The accused's right to a fair trial would have to have been prejudiced in some way. How does what happened in this case do that?
My legal fee is €1,000 an hour. Revolut me and I'll tell.

My point is this is a shambles already. Unless someone seriously grabs a hold of the case, it could totally unravel. Not being aware he is in hospital is not a good look for the prosecution.

The Inspector General

My legal fee is €1,000 an hour. Revolut me and I'll tell.

My point is this is a shambles already. Unless someone seriously grabs a hold of the case, it could totally unravel. Not being aware he is in hospital is not a good look for the prosecution.
So he was moved from prison to hospital and the prison authorities didn't tell the Gardai .So what? It happens all the time. How does it taint the evidence in the case? Have the accused rights been infringed? I doubt it.
1000 an hour? In your dreams.

Buchaill Dana

So he was moved from prison to hospital and the prison authorities didn't tell the Gardai .So what? It happens all the time. How does it taint the evidence in the case? Have the accused rights been infringed? I doubt it.
1000 an hour? In your dreams.
So what? He is no longer in the criminal justice system and nobody knew, including his own legal team. Its not like they moved him to another wing.

gijoe

The only impact of this is that it tees up a temporary insanity plea very nicely for the defence.

Emily Davison

He was in the system, please explain to me how him being moved to a hospital impacts the case?
It doesn’t, not in the sense that Buchaill suggests anyway. But it does effect it because the defence might now be one of insanity.

omgsquared

Very sad but Shit happens and I hope Silver gets a long sentence , He IS obviously someone who should not be on the street. As regards the " pushing up the Clip" it is obvious that you are not acquainted with firearms and pistols in particular. I have used pistols similar to the Sig 226 that I think the garda are issued. I am not sure which condition the gardai carry their weapons. They may carry it with a round in the breach and decocked or they may carry it with the breech empty . If it is the first case then the person just needs to squeeze the trigger and it will fire. If in the second case the slide will have to be drawn to the rear and a round fed into the chamber. and then it can be fired.
The DF use the Hk USP which is also a double action pistol but has a manual safety. ( on some models). Again I have not used it but have worked with guys who have carried it so am familiar from have a look at it.
To be honest I fail to understand why two relatively small organization that probably need 7000 pistols between them cannot buy together and get lower unit prices.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom