• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Garda sting operation results in prosecution of six off-licences for selling alcohol to 15-year-old

Skyrocket

A Garda sting operation in August has resulted in the prosecution of six off-licences for allegedly selling alcohol to 15-year-old boy. Both the holder of the off-license and the employees alleged to have sold the alcohol to the boy are being prosecuted.

The off-licences being prosecuted are Dunnes Stores in Westside, Apple's on New Dock Street, Londis in Mervue, Centra in Renmore, Centra on Lough Atalia Road, and Centra on Forster Street. The manager of the latter has pleaded guilty and was fined €750.

Full story here: Six off-licences accused of selling booze to teen | Galway City Tribune | galwaynews.ie

Good to see the Gardaí in Galway cracking down on the sale of alcohol to minors by off-licenses.

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
In the same paper it's heartening to see the crackdown on the cities top drug dealer:
Drugs kingpin jailed for supplying city

Ten months for dealing cocaine.
That'll teach him.
Very little she could do. Once the case was accepted the District Court max sentence is 12 months. Question might be asked why it was left with the District Court. Would appear to be more appropriate to a higher court. Max sentence available for the crime appears to be up to 14 years.

'orebel

Some kingpin.

Three quarters of an ounce of coke and under 2 ounces of weed. FFS.

Why did off licence employees not get jail?

D

Dylan2010

jeez, the how much police time was involved? meanwhile in the other side of town family houses are being robbed where the copper piping is being pulled out causing thousands of euros in damage, where was plod?

Radix

jeez, the how much police time was involved? meanwhile in the other side of town family houses are being robbed where the copper piping is being pulled out causing thousands of euros in damage, where was plod?
Ah Dylan, give up yer aul cynicism and read between the lines; these shops had been reported by concerned parents most likely.

But I did get a laugh from the spectacle of police minding Copper...

Brenny

I bet they got the biggest, hairiest fifteen year old they could find. Is this entrapment?

My friend went to school with the rugby player Anthony Foley, he said the guy looked about 30 when he was playing in the Junior Cup and looked older than most of the teachers when he was in sixth year. It's even worse with girls, put some sophisticated clothes and make-up on a tall fifteen year old and she'll have everyone thinking she's 25. Eventually Ireland will become like America where everyone who doesn't have wrinkles get's asked for ID.

Hitch 22

Ridiculous waste of time.
The selling of alcohol to underage kids is causing juvenile crime, juvenile alcoholism, premature sexual activity and teenage pregnancy, poor academic performance in school, juvenile depression and juvenile suicide, domestic violence and much more.
The people selling alcohol to kids are morally on the same plain as drug dealers.
In fact early teenage drinking is a gate way to hard drugs.
Most adults drink sensibly and respect alcohol but juveniles have no clue.
They are mentally and physically unequipped to start drinking.
We need a draconian regime to try and prevent teenage drinking as much as possible and that means targeting the people selling alcohol to juveniles and putting them out of business.

In many countries children are taught to respect alcohol and at family meals older kids are given a glass of wine. They start off learning from adults a mature relationship with drink.

For adults we should have 24 hour opening hours for pubs and bars which would eliminate the culture of rushing drinks before closing time and violence when mobs empty onto the streets. Food and drink should go together as it does in many European countries. The culture of loading up with pint after pint and shot after shot with no time for the body to soak it up has to go.

Last edited:

commonman

They Garda in Louth had 4 off-licences in court last week, they to had a 15 year old going around buying alcohol. its good to see a bit of action in that front.

D

Dylan2010

Ah Dylan, give up yer aul cynicism and read between the lines; these shops had been reported by concerned parents most likely.

But I did get a laugh from the spectacle of police minding Copper...
I should have tried to get a refenece to pigs in there for good measure. its still cost and benefit, if there were complaints then they should do what they are paid to do, follow it up. That means boring things like talking ot he owner or staff not a one off "sting" which could be a setup.

The Field Marshal

It has always seemed silly to me that a youth the day he turns 18 can buy unlimited quantities of alcohol he is debarred from buying the day before. On the thread topic once again Garda time is wasted on soft targets.

Radix

I should have tried to get a refenece to pigs in there for good measure. its still cost and benefit, if there were complaints then they should do what they are paid to do, follow it up. That means boring things like talking ot he owner or staff not a one off "sting" which could be a setup.
The difference between a private ticking off and a public prosecution, is that a message is sent to every single liquor store owner (hi Teashark), that the law is being enforced on the issue of the sale of alcohol to minors.

There have been countless cases of people choking on their own vomit while being comatose after consuming alcohol at a level they were unaccustomed to.

44percent

Excellent work. It will come as welcome news to any parent who has sat in A&E for hours wondering about a child who has been found unconscious from drink and what the consequences will be for them.

cabledude

Ridiculous waste of time.
Ridiculous waste of a post. That's what Gardai are for, you know, to enforce the law. It is against the law to sell alcohol to under 18'sin Ireland. If the Gardai receive a complaint they are obliged to act on it.

However it is interesting that they used a teenager in this 'sting' operation. Where does this fit in with child labour. Does that apply from 15 or 16?

cricket

It has always seemed silly to me that a youth the day he turns 18 can buy unlimited quantities of alcohol he is debarred from buying the day before. On the thread topic once again Garda time is wasted on soft targets.
You could apply the same logic to the age of consent, driving licence, voting age, etc. It may be arbitary, but it is the best safeguard around. Kids on drink are a danger to themselves and others. Juvenile courts are full of them.

cabledude

I see your point here but, whats the alternative? Gradually allow teenagers to commence drinking. Allow they a glass of wine at 16, a bottle of beer at 17 and spirits at 18. That's just unworkable. When we base prohibition on age, 17 years and 364 days will always below 18 years of age.

D

Dylan2010

The difference between a private ticking off and a public prosecution, is that a message is sent to every single liquor store owner (hi Teashark), that the law is being enforced on the issue of the sale of alcohol to minors.

There have been countless cases of people choking on their own vomit while being comatose after consuming alcohol at a level they were unaccustomed to.
30 years of "messages" have been sent out and nothing has changed. within the context why dont the police just focus on the numerous kids they come across drunk every weekend and get them to tell them where they bought the stuff, then prosecute the shops if CCTV etc confirms it. The fact that this is "news" just means its a media stunt.

ruserious

When I was 17 I was able to buy alcohol without ID being asked in one of the German superstores, an English mega-retailer operating here, and several well known chains of off-licences. No hastle every time.