Garda was drunk in patrol car on John's Rd Appropriate sentence or not?

H

The Gardai have exceptional powers , should they get exceptional sentences for breaking the law?

What say you?

Lucky no one killed this time.... Our unprofessional Keystone cops are really going downhill

Garda was drunk in patrol car - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Garda was drunk in patrol car
By Andrew Phelan

Monday April 26 2010

A GARDA has been banned from driving after he was caught drunk and asleep at the wheel of a patrol car in the middle of a main road, blocking traffic.

Padraig Boyce (36) was put off the road for two years and fined €650 by a judge who found him guilty of being drunk in charge of a car.

Taxi driver Declan O'Donoghue said in evidence he was on his way to a job at 3am on May 16 last year when he saw Boyce's car stopped in the middle of St John's Road, Dublin 8 facing the Lucan direction.

Tomas Mor

I hope he loses his job as well. What calls went unanswered while he was drunk. Their pulse, or command control would have a record .

reknaw

Gosh, isn't he lucky he wasn't caught for not having a TV licence, because then he could have ended up in jail.:roll::roll::roll: A €650 fine isn't even a slap on the wrist.

turdsl

I hope he loses his job as well. What calls went unanswered while he was drunk. Their pulse, or command control would have a record .

I sincerely hope that no relation of yours ever has a drink problem,

The OD

He should get at least 5 years in jail, lose his job, lose his pension and that will show the world that the Gardai are not above the law.

Wont happen though, hopefully his alcohol addiction will kill him as a consolation. Slowly.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
He should get at least 5 years in jail, lose his job, lose his pension and that will show the world that the Gardai are not above the law.

Wont happen though, hopefully his alcohol addiction will kill him as a consolation. Slowly.
You're hoping someone you have no personal dealing with is killed slowly? Amazing how heartless people can be when they are hiding behind anonymity.

eamo

Jesus wept, even by p.ie standards that is a nasty, viscous little post.

cricket

Ignore the sick OD. This , however, is still a disgrace if that's all going to happen to him.
Being caught drunk on duty should have a mandatory dismissal as punishment. AFAIK, there's such a provision in Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus. Are we saying that guards should be dealt with less harshly than bus drivers ?

eamo

The Garda driver of the patrol car in which two gardi were tragically killed by a stolen car at the junction of The Rise and Merion rd. was also over the alcohol limit. Its no secret that there is a major problem with drink in "the force", but I suppose that just reflects Irish society.

turdsl

What did the Gardai ever do to you, anybody with such hate needs help, Hopefully the top brass in the gardai will at least make sure they hear his case,counselling has been a great help to some who have gone on and made a success of their lives

Sync

I think something like the swiss method where the judge has a lot of leeway when it comes to certain offences would be a good way of going. They're able to look at the person who's committed the crime, and their ability to pay etc Europe Slapping Rich With Massive Traffic Fines - ABC News

If that sort of thing were to apply to everyone I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't be in favour of stricter laws just for one profession though.

ballot stuffer

The Garda driver of the patrol car in which two gardi were tragically killed by a stolen car at the junction of The Rise and Merion rd. was also over the alcohol limit. Its no secret that there is a major problem with drink in "the force", but I suppose that just reflects Irish society.
That should be the rise in Mount Merrion btw.

Bloody hell. Hope some of the posters are not judges. The man did something that he should not do. We don't know why. We all make mistakes. Thousands take to the road drunk. Just because he is paid to enforce the law does not make him any less a human being. Imagine the horrible people he has to deal with day in day out, the awful situations. Do we know he was not fired anyway?

cricket

I think something like the swiss method where the judge has a lot of leeway when it comes to certain offences would be a good way of going. They're able to look at the person who's committed the crime, and their ability to pay etc Europe Slapping Rich With Massive Traffic Fines - ABC News

If that sort of thing were to apply to everyone I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't be in favour of stricter laws just for one profession though.
Jaysus, I hope you won't need serious surgery provided by a drunk some day.

shutuplaura

What did the Gardai ever do to you, anybody with such hate needs help, Hopefully the top brass in the gardai will at least make sure they hear his case,counselling has been a great help to some who have gone on and made a success of their lives
Hopefully the guy in question will actually turn his life around. I don't think he should be allowed remain on the force at all though. He has shown a serious lack of judgment, engaged in highly dangerous activities and completely compromised his position.

It should be fairly straightforward. This family are victims in all of this but really, he is paid to do a job, and there is no way I can see he can physically do it now, and the Gardai cannot become a shelter for every failed member of its profession. It undermines its own professional standards.

ballot stuffer

every person is entitled to a hearing,nobody knows what his situation was on the night,
Going on the offense the court found him guilty of
it's pretty clear he shouldn't be in the gardai any longer. His 'situation' is immaterial.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies