• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gardai admit "war on drugs" is a failure...better late than never I guess!

D

Dylan2010

Something Libertarians could have told you 40 years ago and even statists utilitarian types must have been figuring out over the last while as the utility isnt adding up as it were. Most other people must be suffering from cognitive dissonace. I'm surprised that Gardai would want to put their own little stimulus project at risk as there is a lot of money tied up in enforcing drugs laws, but hay maybe common sense is starting to prevail? Now if they are admiting it in private, do they have the balls to say so in public? I doubt it somehow, much better to maintain the status quo and wait for that pension rather than really trying to be an asset to the community. I'm not holding my breath especially with the cowardly TD's in the background

Gangs rake in cash as war on drugs fails to halt trade - National News - Independent.ie

EXPERIENCED gardai now privately admit that the State has lost the war against illegal drugs which has fuelled the murderous organised criminal culture of the past 20 years.

Commenting on the recent discovery of cannabis grow houses across Ireland, a senior garda said that the cultivation of the plants had become an "epidemic".

The economics explain why. The "street" value of the cannabis that could be produced by the 6,000 plants recently seized by gardai in the latest set of grow-house raids is, at current rates, approximately €3.6m. Each plant produces around two ounces (56 grammes) of cannabis. The growers sell this at around €150 an ounce to middle men who at least double their price when selling to local dealers. They sell on the drug at around €13 a gramme to Ireland's large constituency of "weekend users", as they were referred to in a recent spat between pro-legalisation TD Luke 'Ming' Flanagan and Dublin Mid West TD Derek Keating.

Last year gardai raided 600 grow houses and by July this year they had seized plants in 574 raids. The industrial-scale grow houses are organised by Chinese Triad gangs who use enslaved labourers, usually Chinese or Vietnamese nationals, to tend to the plants. Some of those arrested were working to pay off gambling debts or were recruited with the promise of payments of as little as €1,500 a month on delivery of their crop.

Mr Keating TD expressed the prevailing political view that the possession and cultivation of drugs should remain a criminal offence.

Johnnybaii

InB4 John Biffo says

"I'm not having my taxes used to pay for fools In A&E's overdosing on fuuuuuuurghhhhhinggggg mariageawana pal.

Mkay?"

Analyzer

Gardai may as well the war on everything they are supposed to be apprehending is a failure.

Though for the legal profession it is a business stimulus and a "success".

sic transit

And now what?

Crazy horse 6

It's estimated that the Americans have spent upwards of 2 trillion dollars on the "war on drugs" these last 30 year's and things are worse than ever. Simply put it is a war that can't be won through enforcement either there,here or anywhere. I still think in 30 years time nothing will have changed.

The Owl

Well, we could make a huge start by legalising cannabis. But we won't. No politician will even raise the issue, apart from Luke of course. We used to look forward to the annual free joint arriving by post back in the day. The T.D.s would make a great hewhaw about it in public, but in private......well, let's just say the status quo in Dáil Éireann was maintained. Hypocrisy.

benroe

You cannot overdose on cannabis John B
Nobody has ever died from too much cannabis, this is just the kind of ignorance
that keeps this pathetic drug war going..

Mossy Heneberry

That is true. Also, addiction is largely a myth and no one has ever died from heroin withdrawal.

potholedogger

Give everyone ablood test twice a year. Drug addicts would be easily identified. Then we could put then off the road and prosecute them. Fines could easily cover the cost of policing drugs.

Drug sniffer dogs could be put on street patrols. Dogs don't need pensions either!

Mossy Heneberry

Give everyone ablood test twice a year. Drug addicts would be easily identified. Then we could put then off the road and prosecute them. Fines could easily cover the cost of policing drugs.

Drug sniffer dogs could be put on street patrols. Dogs don't need pensions either!
And this is exactly what I fear if drugs were legalised. The state might make pathetic laws like this for more control over us.

Analyzer

Ireland needs one area that is a marajuana allowed zone.

I propose Dun Laoghaire. The town is dying a death, and needs a new business model. It has long supported the most liberal approach to most social issues. And it has reasonable public transport access, for people who are high, and who need to go home.

The problem is that there is a critical mass of the population who are psychologically predisposed towards needing to be doped up. And they are getting doped up. It is their choice. It might not be the choice of everybody here. But, some people will just go for substances that blow their brains out. Unfortunately, the way they are doing this currently is costing a immense societal harm.

Catalpast

Excessive use of Cannabis can and does mess up peoples lives

Its not a 'harmless' Drug!

D

Dylan2010

Ireland needs one area that is a marajuana allowed zone.

I propose Dun Laoghaire. The town is dying a death, and needs a new business model. It has long supported the most liberal approach to most social issues. And it has reasonable public transport access, for people who are high, and who need to go home.
be a good revamp for the shopping centre, could deal with hordes of mellow Welch people every weekend

Catalpast

The result of Mass immigration policies that saw tens of thousands of Chinese 'students' arrive here in the last decade or so

- and never went home

- again woe betide any politician who would care to mention this fact

While most were ok folks such lax immigration controls allowed a very ruthless criminal element to slip in under the radar

Most Chinese here don't even appear in any official statistics

The census of 2006 and 2011 recorded more Germans here than Chinese!:roll:

benroe

I would agree with 10,000,000 drug testsa year provided you included the two biggest killers nicotine and alcohol, the roads would be empty, littered with dead dogs and potholers no doubt

EvotingMachine0197

'The war on drugs' is a ridiculous misnomer. All this 'war' does is enhance the market for illegal drug dealers.

A seriously honest political debate is required here, particularly with respect to cannabis.

Mossy Heneberry

If it is reasonable to require random samples for alcohol, why not for other drugs?
Using your logic, it would be 'reasonable' to allow the government to do anything and ride roughshot over the rest of us.

Last edited:

The Owl

Let's look at another kind of drug. Food. Obesity is now pandemic in Ireland and is costing us a fortune in medical costs. Sugar Tax is now on the cards. We should tax all the fast food joints too, to the hilt. But no one says sugar and burgers should be made illegal. We've talked about booze being our biggest societal problem but very few would even consider that alcohol be banned. It's ridiculous. So is banning illegal drugs. Use the bloody stuff. Make money out of it. We already have a huge population of legal drug users who are addicted to over the counter medicines. Bloody hell, this argument has been going on for as long as I can remember, and that's a long time.