"Gardai aiding and abetting evictions" Gardai disgrace themselves again

Emily Davison

Poorly handled, how much did they owe the bank btw?
18,000 to a quarry, nearly 500,000 to revenue, ? to Cabot. And we've no idea who hired the men to beat up the security men. Nor do we know the value of the land. Nor what the money was borrowed for nor what the VAT relates to.

Levellers

That 'security' firm is controlled by the UVF. They have been arrested and investigated by the PSNI for forcing businesses to employ door staff against their will - essentially a protection racket.

Emily Davison

This is a clip of the eviction. Pretty distressing. Initally the farmers friends thought the security men were Irish and then one of them said he was English and that set off the whole thing back to echos of English evictions. The clip is unfortunately entwined with the Irish movie, 'The field' and and Irish music as well. So it's a propoganda piece. Then there 's some women in a town outside the KBC bank.

KBCs British bailiffs told to cease their occupation of Strokestown property - YouTube

Can someone remind me of the speaker there, he's one of those land league fellows whose name I cannot recall right now, ramping it up about paralmilitaries from the North.

Emily Davison

That 'security' firm is controlled by the UVF. They have been arrested and investigated by the PSNI for forcing businesses to employ door staff against their will - essentially a protection racket.
Can we have a link please.

Sync

I don't get it.

They owe money on a loan. They owe money to the people of Ireland in the VAT they withheld. They refuse to pay the money. The court told them to pay the money. They didn't pay the money. The courts ordered them to leave. They didn't pay the money. The courts issued an eviction notice. They didn't leave the house. The gardai supervise an EU company execute the lawful order of the court.

And now a bunch of people who make their living from money they receive from the EU and from exporting their goods to the EU are now complaining that EU citizens took up a job in Ireland and carried out the court's order.

That about it?

Dame_Enda

I don't get it.

They owe money on a loan. They owe money to the people of Ireland in the VAT they withheld. They refuse to pay the money. The court told them to pay the money. They didn't pay the money. The courts ordered them to leave. They didn't pay the money. The courts issued an eviction notice. They didn't leave the house. The gardai supervise an EU company execute the lawful order of the court.

And now a bunch of people who make their living from money they receive from the EU and from exporting their goods to the EU are now complaining that EU citizens took up a job in Ireland and carried out the court's order.

That about it?
Are they unable to pay or unwilling to pay? If unable then I have some sympathy for their position. Also important to remember that if you are referring to farmers, that the CAP has been reformed and the butter mountains are a thing of the past. Farmers no longer get paid to produce more. Instead they get a grant.

Emily Davison

I don't get it.
- an agenda here by those who have an issue with NI/English/ and will use this story for that
- second agenda is that fellow in the clip I put up, he's from the New Irish Land League and they go around the country spinning stories to people in debt that they don't have to pay their debts and it's all the fault of the 'banks' or ' FF' or ' scum Gardai' or 'FG' and never of the person who borrowed too much money.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors still in this story. And loads of spin.

ymmek

A much simpler solution is the next time these ex squaddies come south to perform an eviction is that they are sent home in body bags .English people are welcome in this country as long as they remember the history of this country , their part in it and behave accordingly .Well done those brave men and ladies who taught some manners to the UVF/ Paras in strokestown
Those "brave men and ladies" might not be so "brave" if our army were on hand to maintain the rule of law.

Emily Davison

Are they unable to pay or unwilling to pay? If unable then I have some sympathy for their position. Also important to remember that if you are referring to farmers, that the CAP has been reformed and the butter mountains are a thing of the past. Farmers no longer get paid to produce more. Instead they get a grant.
- Roscommon is renowned for it's dairy farms.

- Do you have any sympathy for the quarry that didn't get paid?

- Do you have sympathy for the tax payers who was swindled out of the VAT?

- And who do you think will end up paying this man's bank debt?

I too have some sympathy for them losing their home.

Sync

I've sympathy for the majority of people that get evicted. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get evicted. "I don't like the nationality/religion/colour of the people lawfully evicting me" is not an endearing position.

Clanrickard

If you don't pay or engage with Banks you will lose your home. The rest of us end up paying a very high price for our lax eviction laws.

Dame_Enda

I've sympathy for the majority of people that get evicted. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get evicted. "I don't like the nationality/religion/colour of the people lawfully evicting me" is not an endearing position.
But hiring Blackwater-type contractors to do what the Gardai mightnt be allowed to do is unacceptable. Having them wearing balaclavas (I dont know if that happened in this case but it did with the evictions of the homelessness campaigners in Dublin) is a cynical ruse to avoid legal and media accountability. Masked men doing things like this is the stuff of Putin's Russia.

Sync

But hiring Blackwater-type contractors to do what the Gardai mightnt be allowed to do is unacceptable.
It's not the Gardai's job to execute eviction notices. There's an argument that their role should be expanded to include it, but then you're into how they get reimbursed on that which gets you into a tricky grey area. But it is "acceptable". It's people lawfully enforcing a court order. It's the definition of "acceptable".

sic transit

Yes but why do the banks get bailed out but not victims of their predatory lending during the boom?
They did, but it was actually greed and they won't in the future. There's a whole story behind that, which you clearly don't seem to be bothered to read. That's OK though, it's one of those p.ie selective blindness afflictions and it's hard to avoid it when you know you're right.

Angler

Those "brave men and ladies" might not be so "brave" if our army were on hand to maintain the rule of law.
Justice and the Law are not coterminous, that you would use the Army in this situation speaks volumes.

Socratus O' Pericles

Yes but why do the banks get bailed out but not victims of their predatory lending during the boom?
Either there’s a rule of law or there’s not are Orders of the Courts not to be executed therefor? Not like you to be preaching anarchy or perhaps even chaos.

Last edited: