• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gardai investigating allegations of FG Cllr 'buying' asylum seeker votes: Times

kerrynorth

THE HIGH Court has been told that allegations by a man about the operation of an asylum seekers’ residence are the subject of a Garda investigation.
The allegations include a claim that the manager of Richmond Court Accommodation Centre in Longford, Fine Gael councillor James Keogh, had paid money and made promises to residents there in return for their votes in last year’s local elections.
Asylum seekers' residence under investigation - court told - The Irish Times - Tue, Jan 26, 2010
TBH I fail to see what criminal offence there is to investigate even it were to be true. You could call it all kinds of things, but it hardly a criminal offence. If we all complained to the Gardai about our votes being 'bought' by promises or even money every public rep would be in jail. And of course nobody can prove how anyone actually voted.

charley

it used to be traveller votes that story been doing the rounds for donkeys

MPB

TBH I fail to see what criminal offence there is to investigate even it were to be true. You could call it all kinds of things, but it hardly a criminal offence. If we all complained to the Gardai about our votes being 'bought' by promises or even money every public rep would be in jail. And of course nobody can prove how anyone actually voted.
Absolutely. Jesus if a failed Election promise was a jailable offence ( which it should be ) then our Oireachtas would be based in Mountjoy.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Fine Gael councillor James Keogh, had paid money and made promises to residents there in return for their votes in last year’s local elections.
If true, you don't see a problem with this?

MPB

Yes, the same way as I see a problem with promising Jackie Healy Rae a Hospital he knows he is never going to get but will buy his vote and keep his seat.

If it happens nationally why would you be surprised that it happens locally.

It should be illegal but it is not.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Yes, the same way as I see a problem with promising Jackie Healy Rae a Hospital he knows he is never going to get but will buy his vote and keep his seat.

If it happens nationally why would you be surprised that it happens locally.

It should be illegal but it is not.
JHR may have promised a hospital but that wouldn't compare to someone actually paying out money in return for a vote IMO.

Both are a sham btw.

beanie

Do asylum seekers have votes?

liamfoley

atlantic

If this guy is been investigated for buying votes ,what about the Bert he wasted billions buying union and welfare votes while wrecking havoc on this country.

Dr Pat

Do you think that anybody will ever check status of immigrants for local elections?
Any immigrants can fill a form and nobody will contact Department of Justice about their present status. Of coarse, some local civil servants can be aware that residents of certain areas can be asylum seekers, but small bribe can easily fix it
No doubt someone will correct me if i am wrong but I understand that asylum seekers as residents can votel in local elections, even before their applications are determined.

The criminal offence is the direct paying of money to people to get them to vote for a particular candidate.

This thread of course will not have the usual suspects on here screaming and shouting as it doesn't involve a FF member...........perhaps you should have changed the party KN and watch the faux outrage.

Baztard

"Of coarse, some local civil servants can be aware that residents of certain areas can be asylum seekers, but small bribe can easily fix it".

Thats a fairly serious allegation don't you think?

kittykat

The limits of truth

Do you think that anybody will ever check status of immigrants for local elections?
Any immigrants can fill a form and nobody will contact Department of Justice about their present status. Of coarse, some local civil servants can be aware that residents of certain areas can be asylum seekers, but small bribe can easily fix it
In the first instance all residents are allowed to vote iin local elections. More importantly casual baseless allegations of corruption are dispicable. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a substantiated allegation against anyone working in the franchise area of any local authority. Please withdraw the remark & apologise.:mad:

kerrynorth

Its not that I do not see a problem with it, I most certainly do. It is what makes it different from what every politician does at election time. Money is only currency, promising a planning permission or a housing allocation is much more valuable but does not involve the transfer of notes yet how is that regarded as worse?

Plus can you prove that even if you gave me a tenner to vote for you in the local elections that I actually put a No.1 beside your box in the ballot paper? Of course not. Buying votes with money is ineffective unless your standing over their shoulder as they cast their preferences.

bormotello

In the first instance all residents are allowed to vote iin local elections. More importantly casual baseless allegations of corruption are dispicable. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a substantiated allegation against anyone working in the franchise area of any local authority. Please withdraw the remark & apologise.:mad:
My apologies
Somehow I missed that Fianna Fail allowed asylum seekers right to vote on local elections in 2004
UNHCR - Ireland grants refugees and asylum seekers right to vote

Sync

It's a crime which should certainly be pursued. I can't believe there's any equivocation on this. Of course it's different from campaign pledges that don't come true.

GDPR

I can't believe there is anything to this.

1. It's a FG'er involved, by popular consent they don't do corruption.

2. It's a FG'er involved, even if he was trying to be corrupt, he'd have made a bollix of it.

It's a FG'er involved, move along now folks, nothing to see here.

Edo

bearing in mind that there are allegations

Well - if he is found guilty of this - he should be subjected to whatever penalities that the law subscribes and I have no doubt that he will be shown the door by the party unless he gets down on his hand and knees and does the most abase apology of his life - even then I reckon he will be out on his ear.

In the meantime - he should stand down from all committees and positions he may be on in the council until this episode comes to a conclusion.