• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gardaí pull out of Croke Park II talks, an outlier or harbinger of greater labour unrest ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The GRA has joined to AGSI in pulling out of Croke Park II talks
GRA pulls out of Croke Park Agreement talks - RTÉ News

Personally I think the Garda are an outlier case: much of their income was allowances and overtime related, and this suffered more swingeing cuts than other public service pay. I'd like to see figures (CSO no longer publish the granular detail in the earnings survey) - but I suspect the Garda have a case....that said their average earnings increased 44% in the period 2000-2007, so they were always going to be heavily targeted.

What think others, the beginnings of mass labour unrest or an outlier ?

cYp

Last edited:

emulator

There should be no Croke Park II....

Let the current one run it's course and then we're all the same again. There are employment laws in place to cover contracts, conditions etc....

True Republican

The people serving in An Garda Siochana are some of the best paid in Europe and are completely delusional about the state of the public finances. The GRA and the AGS seem to be believe in the moneyfairy.

Last edited:

firefly123

The GRA has joined to AGSI in pulling out of Croke Park II talks
GRA pulls out of Croke Park Agreement talks - RTÉ News

Personally I think the Garda are an outlier case: much of their income was allowances and overtime related, and this suffered more swingeing cuts than other public service pay. I'd like to see figures (CSO no longer publish the granular detail in the earnings survey) - but I suspect the Garda have a case....

What think others, the beginnings of mass labour unrest or an outlier ?

cYp
You will have firefighters, ambulance, prison officers and nurses out too. All the members of the 24/7 frontline alliance from a few years back. It's very clear the main unions intend to allow shift allowances be sacrificed and since that is a significant percentage of the above workers pay you will see these workers walk away from the table and take their chances.

commonman

They know that they are been sold out by the unions they are better of fighting there own corner, that is not the same corner that we supposed turned back a few years ago.

True Republican

You will have firefighters, ambulance, prison officers and nurses out too. All the members of the 24/7 frontline alliance from a few years back. It's very clear the main unions intend to allow shift allowances be sacrificed and since that is a significant percentage of the above workers pay you will see these workers walk away from the table and take their chances.
I politely ask the question, do you think that existing levels of pay, overtime pay and allowances are affordable for frontline staff as well as higher paid ps workers?

turdsl

Fair play to the Gardai,The are the first to shout stop to the snouts at the trough

Why enter talks when the cuts were already decided,

RobertW

Fair play to the Gardai,The are the first to shout stop to the snouts at the trough

Why enter talks when the cuts were already decided,
Precisely. These are not negotiations.

It's senior civil servants in each Government department telling the various unions what it going to happen whether they like it or not.

Sierra

INMO tomorrow followed by the IMO.
Both expected to pull out of the talks too by the looks of it.

The government will not be able to achieve a consensual arrangement for Croke Park 2. Labour are screwed.

eoghanacht

Isn't it great we have all these disparate groups only concerned with their own little patch and that everyone else can go get FKD

asset test

I politely ask the question, do you think that existing levels of pay, overtime pay and allowances are affordable for frontline staff as well as higher paid ps workers?
And I would ask the question... Are the union negotiators going to be affected by shift etc allowances being cut?

And of course this is a diktat, couched in terms of an Agreement.

RobertW

Both expected to pull out of the talks too by the looks of it.

The government will not be able to achieve a consensual arrangement for Croke Park 2. Labour are screwed.
Interestingly the teacher unions are staying quiet. . . . .weak, weak, weak!

grainne whale

The people serving in An Garda Siochana are some of the best paid in Europe and are completely delusional about the state of the public finances. The GRA and the AGS seem to be believe in the moneyfairy.
Well done lads, let's ALL pull out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies