• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gardaí Reclassify Cannabis - It's now more expensive

Gabha Óir

According to Ken Foxe in today's Tribune (not available online as yet) the Gardaí are now valuing cannabis at 6 times the amount previously used.

So a €1,000,000 seizure is now worth €6,000,000.

There's a handy way to massage the figures.

They'll be telling us next that it's worth more now because they're doing such good work in preventing it's availabilty while simultaneously increasing the worth of amounts seized without seizing as much. Wonderful.

Kev408

I'm gonna get stoned right nowish.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Why don't they just say how much of whatever it is they find in siezures in weight terms, and then release purity levels when tests have been conducted?
This fantasy 'street value' has always been a nonsense and only becomes a more obvious one when they multiply it for no reason.

Gabha Óir

Why don't they just say how much of whatever it is they find in siezures in weight terms, and then release purity levels when tests have been conducted?
This fantasy 'street value' has always been a nonsense and only becomes a more obvious one when they multiply it for no reason.
Don't be so logical there Skins. There are no scales of justice.

myksav

This will make the cannabis smokers happy. They'll think they're getting a real bargain paying 1/6th of the claimed price by paying what they do now anyway.

myksav

Or give the dealers an excuse to up the prices
Have they ever needed an excuse before? :D

Though, not having any dealings with dealers, I may be way off on that.

wysiwyg

I've often wondered about this. In a sense it doesn't matter to me when they are talking about taking huge hauls of imported drugs from criminal gangs, but then I see young people in my own area being accused of being stopped with thousands of pounds worth of drugs, implying that they are dealing drugs, when in reality they only have a few ounces which they are using personally.

Some of them have asked, what Guard is rolling the joints if they "have enough for hundreds of illegal joints", but only confiscate a few ounces

5intheface

This will make the cannabis smokers happy. They'll think they're getting a real bargain paying 1/6th of the claimed price by paying what they do now anyway.
Don't kid yourself, Tesco have just reacted by putting Mars bars up to 4euro apiece.

A_man_about_a_dog

I've often wondered about this. In a sense it doesn't matter to me when they are talking about taking huge hauls of imported drugs from criminal gangs, but then I see young people in my own area being accused of being stopped with thousands of pounds worth of drugs, implying that they are dealing drugs, when in reality they only have a few ounces which they are using personally.

Some of them have asked, what Guard is rolling the joints if they "have enough for hundreds of illegal joints", but only confiscate a few ounces
I was talking to someone who was in Portlaoise District Court last week on charges of possession of cannabis from Electric Picnic last year. He told me that he had enough for about 3 joints worth about €10 maybe €15. In the court the Garda said that the value was €45... that's €15 a joint FFS. They haven't a clue. The same fella told me that the court was packed with people from the Picnic and that most of the people there only had an average of about €30 - €40 worth of drugs. All got donations to the poor box, size of the donation depended on the income of the defendant. Said some guys earning €50-€60,000 a year got a €500/€600 donation for having €20 worth of weed on them at a feckin' music festival. It's madness IMO.

I would have thought the Gardaí might have had something better to do with their time and resources rather than bringing people to court over a couple of spliffs at a music festival, but obviously not.

Gabha Óir

I was talking to someone who was in Portlaoise District Court last week on charges of possession of cannabis from Electric Picnic last year. He told me that he had enough for about 3 joints worth about €10 maybe €15. In the court the Garda said that the value was €45... that's €15 a joint FFS. They haven't a clue. The same fella told me that the court was packed with people from the Picnic and that most of the people there only had an average of about €30 - €40 worth of drugs. All got donations to the poor box, size of the donation depended on the income of the defendant. Said some guys earning €50-€60,000 a year got a €500/€600 donation for having €20 worth of weed on them at a feckin' music festival. It's madness IMO.

I would have thought the Gardaí might have had something better to do with their time and resources rather than bringing people to court over a couple of spliffs at a music festival, but obviously not.
More massaging of crime stats. That's what they seem to do now. And a few press statements.

myksav

Don't kid yourself, Tesco have just reacted by putting Mars bars up to 4euro apiece.
By the gods, tis a conspiracy we have upon our hands! A conspiracy, I tell you!!

Oppenheimer

I think it is a good strategy to blow the value up. The filth dealing in this stuff would probably take the Gardaí value and be more inclined to do some in-murdering to the blokes that got caught - everyone's a winner!

Abacus

The Guarda do good work in relation to drugs overall but it is an unfortunate fact that they shamelessly exaggerate the value of drugs in order to boost their image. The drug detection crime rate is impressive and that's accepted.

Some observers may say so what if they boost the value.........doesn't bother me, etc. But what about accuracy, truth and honesty though in evidence, does this have a diminished value in drug cases ?

However there is a downside and it's this. These values given so often as they are in 'telephone numbers' will inevitably excite criminal minds as to the profits to be extracted from this pernicious trade. It will attract every manner of lowlife (plus a few highlifes as well) into the trade when they see the rewards or at least think they see what's there for the taking in a trade that requires neither skill or education. To carry it on what is required most of all are strong survival instincts plus a slot in the twilight zone. I won't over emphasise the zero tax rating or the fact that we have an insatiable market out there all grinning as they each give their support to this illegality and all the while the Government can be relied on to maintain a stable and even buoyant market by maintaining robust market controls. Duty of care doesn't come into it either.

These lurid tales of easy millions and millions of dosh serve to seduce many a wayward person into an extremely dirty business. It is one area where the Guarda seem to be allowed and take a bit of licence in presenting their cases. It is wrong to inflate drug values in this way which is done by the Guarda for their own purposes without legal constraint.

Maybe it's time we had that legal constraint.

A_man_about_a_dog

The Guarda do good work in relation to drugs overall but it is an unfortunate fact that they shamelessly exaggerate the value of drugs in order to boost their image. The drug detection crime rate is impressive and that's accepted.
Of course the detection rate is going to be 'impressive' (whatever that means) when you have Gardaí patrolling music festivals actively looking for people with enough for a couple of joints on them. However, the detection rate for large hauls of drugs (the ones worth 6 and 7 figures) has been in steady decline the last year or two. The smugglers are getting smarter, they know how to get their stuff in without having to worry about the Gardaí.

The Gardaí need to refocus their efforts so that they stop criminalizing the user who has a small amount of drugs and focus on the smugglers with the few million euro's worth. It's either that or decriminalization, because the current status quo of prohibition certainly isn't working.. but that's for another thread.

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
This is great news. There has been a lot of talking down of the economy lately, it is great to see somebody finally talking the economy up. A few more Government bodies acting like this and the Celtic Tiger will be back roaring in no time.

sarahj

I think it is a good strategy to blow the value up. The filth dealing in this stuff would probably take the Gardaí value and be more inclined to do some in-murdering to the blokes that got caught - everyone's a winner!
Yeah - nice. These people are citizens of our country too. And there are plenty o decent people out there who deal some cannabis so they can keep a good supply for themselves.

Much lika pub owner actually...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies