Gardai recorded threatening to arrest wife, put child in care

gleeful

Tape of garda threats to man’s wife and child collapses trial

"A trial has collapsed after the court heard a taped a conversation in which gardaí told the accused his wife would be arrested and his child would go into care if he did not accept responsibility for possessing firearms and silencers."

"Mr Valteris, of Park Vale, Grange Rath, Drogheda, Co Meath, had pleaded not guilty to the unlawful possession of a semi-automatic pistol at Balmoral Industrial Estate in Navan, Co Meath on June 10th, 2013. He was the first Lithuanian to stand trial at the Special Criminal Court."

"The gardaí­ were heard asking Mr Valteris: “Have we a deal or no deal... If we don’t [have a deal] I’m going to have to arrest your partner”.

Were the Gardai setting this guy up, threatening him and his family, or (Im playing devils advocate here) just stating the facts that if Mr Valteris didn't admit ownership of the weapon then suspicion logically fell on his wife?

ger12

It was tape recorded?

Lúidín

"...possessing firearms and silencers."

It's a great relief that he is now free to carry on doing whatever he was doing.

SayItAintSo

"...possessing firearms and silencers."

It's a great relief that he is now free to carry on doing whatever he was doing.
Yes, its very frightening to think the Gard or Gardaí involved in this are still on the force, free to carry on whatever else they're doing.

gleeful

Yes, its very frightening to think the Gard or Gardaí involved in this are still on the force, free to carry on whatever else they're doing.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion but this should be investigated by GSOC.

SayItAintSo

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion but this should be investigated by GSOC.
AGS do not get the benefit of the doubt from me, I assume they're up to something dodgy unless proven otherwise.

The powers withheld from GSOC makes sure their investigations, if they get off the ground at all, are toothless.

SayItAintSo

Dear me, do I detect the 'special relationship the public have with AGS' is no more? The last few posts would suggest its fraying a little!

Never fear its only a few bad apples, dontcha know?

Catalpast

Either he was caught in a possession of a firearm or he wasn't

If he was he should be punished

- if he wasn't he should not

If the Garda acted unprofessionally he should be punished

- if he didn't he should not

eoghanacht

It's how we do things.....

Dame_Enda

We could avoid this in future by requiring Gardai to wear body cameras as in some US states.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies