Gardai say they're on alert for ICTU protest being hijacked and exploited

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Gardai have issued an advisory this morning pointing out that they plan to have a highly visible presence at tomorrow's ICTU protest in Dublin. Pointing out that their plan is to ensure a peaceful protest, they say that they will be monitoring the protest to ensure it's not hijacked by those wishing to exploit the protest for non-peaceful ends.

Garda Information regarding ICTU National Demonstration – Saturday 27 November 2010

Gardai in Dublin are issuing advice and information to the public in advance of a planned demonstration by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions (ICTU) in Dublin City Centre on Saturday 27th of November 2010.

A comprehensive policing plan has been put in place for the day in order to facilitate a peaceful march, keep people and traffic moving in the city centre to the greatest extent possible and ensure the safety of everyone involved. Gardai have been liaising with the organisers of Saturday's demonstration and have sought meetings with various groups who will be represented at the march in order to secure cooperation with the measures we are putting in place to maximise crowd safety and stewarding.

Chief Superintendent Michael O'Sullivan who will have overall charge of Saturday's policing operation said:

“Our priority on Saturday is to ensure that the people who travel to Dublin city centre to take part in the ICTU demonstration can do so safely and peacefully. In light of the large attendance expected, it is important that everyone observes instructions from the ICTU stewards and gardaí as the march moves along its route from Wood Quay to the GPO on O'Connell Street.

We are also very conscious that normal business will continue in the city centre on Saturday and we are working with the traders and city centre businesses to minimise disruption to their workers and customers. A traffic management plan has been put in place to notify people travelling into the city of road closures etc.,”​

Stressing that the core Garda objective on Saturday is to facilitate a peaceful protest, Chief Superintendent O’Sullivan said:

“We will maintain a highly visible presence along the route of the march both to assist the movement of the demonstration to its final destination at the GPO on O’Connell Street and to minimise disruption to workers, shoppers and other visitors to the city centre.

Recent experience has shown that while it is possible for thousands of people to assemble and march through the streets of Dublin in a dignified and civilised manner, there are individuals and groups who seek to exploit such events for their own ends. I want to reassure the community that Gardaí are both alert to and prepared for this possibility. While our policing plan is primarily focused on crowd safety, it will also aim to prevent any disruption of tomorrow’s demonstration. In addition we will gather evidence of any unlawful or criminal behaviour which might occur with the intention of bringing those responsible before the courts“​

A Traffic management plan will be place and a number of traffic restrictions will be in place along the route including:
Memorial Road / Matt Talbot Bridge / Tara Street / Burgh Quay / O Connell Street / Parliament Street / Wellington Quay/ Nicholas Street / Christchurch Area / Nassau Street / Dawson Street / South Georges Street / Dame Street / Fishamble Street.

iartaoiseach

I suppose if the ordinary people of the country have the cheek to 'hijack' ICTUs protest our incredibly brave boys in blue plan to send them home (or to A&E) with split heads then. and no doubt these useless critters will sometime in the future be whinging on the TV and radio looking for public support for their next pathetic blue flu day.

paulp

I was thinking about hijacking it by going with a poster ala

"ICTU's David Begg was on board of Central Bank"

RightCentreLeft

Lets be clear about this.

Anyone who dare try to march to leinster House will battoned out if by the Gardai.

myhonorisloyalty666

Ordinary people will beat the living crap out of Eirigi if they make trouble and try to discredit a legitimate protest. They should be carried out in little pieces in meat wagons if they try anything to create civil disorder. There will be young people, old people and families at the march tomorrow and republican dissident terrorist supporting scum should not be allowed the ruin the day for the majority.

He3

Is there nothing in their warning about men in beards?

eoghanacht

The Gardai have issued an advisory this morning pointing out that they plan to have a highly visible presence at tomorrow's ICTU protest in Dublin. Pointing out that their plan is to ensure a peaceful protest, they say that they will be monitoring the protest to ensure it's not hijacked by those wishing to exploit the protest for non-peaceful ends.
Good news. I hope they deal with any law breakers who would try and scupper the Democratic right of ordinary citizens to exercise the right to peaceful protest.

I hope they'll be telling the Gardaí on the ground to remain restrained as there will be young and old in attendence.

Bring something to drown out the beards talking, then follow the march in an orderly, peaceful fashion listening to any instructions members of the Gardaí may give you.

Then once the march has finished at the GPO. Make your way towards Leinster house.
Wear something green.

bonkers

the only good news from the 4 year plan was that over a 1000 of these people will be laid off.

bobbysands81

Ordinary people will beat the living crap out of Eirigi if they make trouble and try to discredit a legitimate protest. They should be carried out in little pieces in meat wagons if they try anything to create civil disorder. There will be young people, old people and families at the march tomorrow and republican dissident terrorist supporting scum should not be allowed the ruin the day for the majority.
Why are you so intent on being violent to others? Tomorrow is a legitimate protest, if you can't behave yourself then maybe you shouldn't go.

bobbysands81

Well don't turn up then if you don't want to make trouble.
If you do chances are you will end up on a cold slab.
Eh you threatened violence not me! I'm merely stating my belief that there will be violence.

I will not be partaking in any violence tomorrow whatsoever.

flipflop

There will be plenty of bodyguards...sorry I mean stewards to protect the union leaders from any trouble tomorrow. However, I can't see there being any trouble in the march from Wood Quay to the GPO.
I'm sure there will be a ramping up of scaremongering in the media and on the net over the next 24 hours, anything to keep the numbers down.

bungo

Whenever these conversations occur I always imagine a busybody at the head of the crowd storming the Bastille - urging them "not to spoil a peaceful protest".

The government of Ireland no longer has any democratic mandate. The social contract is broken and normal rules do not apply.

collina

the only good news from the 4 year plan was that over a 1000 of these people will be laid off.
Lovely. No sympathy for their families so?

myhonorisloyalty666

Eh you threatened violence not me! I'm merely stating my belief that there will be violence.

I will not be partaking in any violence tomorrow whatsoever.
You moniker says all I need to know about where you are coming from.
The people at the protest tomorrow will be ordinary citizens who want to make a peaceful protest.
There is potential for violence because of scum like you who are intent on hijacking the protest.
The dissident republican scumbags want violence because they hope there will damage to property, vicious rioting and hopefully for them, deaths.
If you don't want violence tomorrow you can stay in bed and sleep in all Saturday afternoon if you like.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies