"Gardai 'Stooge from the Republic' unacceptable as replacement for Hugh Orde"

st333ve

Under heavy speculation that the new head of the PSNI could be a highly qualified Gardai officer, unionists have hit out at the idea without giving any real reason why a qualified Gardai officer should not recieve the post.
Considering the fact that people from the Republic are already in the PSNI i find the opposition from unionists to be nothing more than bigotry.

Garda replacement for Orde 'unacceptable' - Belfast Today

"Not satisfied with the promise of policing and justice being devolved after the European election, no doubt Sinn Fein will be anxious to speed the further greening of the PSNI with a stooge from the Republic. This must not happen." - Jim Allister.

Kathleen O'Toole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is speculation about this woman being in for the running.
She certainly seems qualified.

Factorem

Given the litany of recent ****-ups in An Garda Siochana, I'm not surprised the unionists have reservations.

And is the PSNI salary high enough to attract a senior Garda?

Legion

certainly the corruption of the Gardi would settle well in the RUC, though thay have a lot to learn

Nem

The fact that the O'Toole has never worked in a UK police force and that she was part of the Patten commission probably works against her. There would be a number of interesting candidates from the Gardai but I'd say the shortlist will probably be all who have UK policing experience. But there might always be a surprise. Everyone though Alan McQuillan was a shoe-in but it was decided otherwise.

corelli

Well, from another angle, any Garda considered for the position, or even applying, would have had to have had serious experience in Crime & Security section within the Gardai and given the distain that particular section has for Sinn Fein/republicians generally, I really don't see Sinn Fein being too enthused about a member of the Gardai for the job. Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that.

Nem

You're right Corelli, probably one of the many reasons why SF are none to happy about Orde leaving. The last thing they need is for policing to become another issue again before devolvement.

essexboy

Look at a senior Garda officer, then look at his PSNI equivalent.

First there is a Major age gap.
Typical senior Garda has red face, white hair, strong country accent, comes from eg Ballindine or Beaufort "the brother got the farm so I took the Superintendent's job". :rolleyes:
PSNI equivalent looks like a civilian and could be Garda's son or daughter (another difference from the Keystone Cops).
Secondly, How many senior Gardai have attended Bramshill? a requirement for the post of Chief Constable.

st333ve

Orde's team recently handed loyalist terrorists 5 million pounds illegally, ofcourse these things dont effect your reputation with the British police force as its practically policy by now.
If you havent colluded with these scumbags then youre not worth your salt.

I doubt corruption would be an obsticle, its more likely to be a requirement.

Risteard

Orde's team recently handed loyalist terrorists 5 million pounds illegally, ofcourse these things dont effect your reputation with the British police force as its practically policy by now.
If you havent colluded with these scumbags then youre not worth your salt.

I doubt corruption would be an obsticle, its more likely to be a requirement.
And yet you're a cheerleader for the RUC...

Risteard

ericstane

I want to see a future head of the PSNI being a highly qualified Gardai officer and vice versa, the officers of these two organisations must be fungible with each other, it is the only way forward. A patrol of South Armagh made up entirely of Gardai is the aim!!!!!!!!!!!!

former wesleyan

Since when does McAllister qualify as " unionists " ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies