Gardai take car off young cpl with toddler for tax arrears

loaded32

...with everything else going on and all the reprieves for banks, bond holders, developers etc etc, I was completely agasp yesterday evening as I came out of my parents house.

The Gardai had setup a checkpoint just over the street and had pulled in a car which contained a couple in their late 20's ( I knew them to see from the locality) and then in anguish I also saw the mother take a baby toddler girl (circa 20 months old I'd say) from the back seat of the car as the dad was in discussions with both Gardai. After about 5 minutes of remonstrating by the Dad, 1 of the Gardai proceeded to take the keys, get behind the wheel and drive off in the couple's 03 Ford...leaving the distraught couple and baby on the side of the street as the other Garda proceeded to drive off in the Garda car.
I made my way over to the couple and asked if I could help in anyway. They told me that the cars had taken their car as their tax was out on it since July this year but he was made redundant in May and they were trying to put some money by over the months to pay the arrears on the tax, but the gardai would have none of it and discarded their car depsite their pleadings based on the child's welfare ( it was a damn cold evening also!!)
I gave them a lift back home as the 3 of us agreed on how socially and morally defunked the Gardai now were also and given the fact that the real criminals in this country both white collar and the rest are nowhere near being repremanded by them, they were acting like nothing but Revenue Commissioners in disguise!

Shame on you Gardai!!!!!!!!!!!

justme1

That does sound very nasty indeed,are you 100% sure he took the car based on the tax being out of date?

Skyrocket

So if you have a good sob story you can drive around without tax?

hibernian56

Over paid muck savages; running down citizens and leaving the scene of a crime; beating an elected TD with no recourse and now this...

They have no shame or morals, they should get their comeuppance... Take EVERY allowance off them, tax the GRA. Jail them during the next blue flue. When they march next time, citizens should turn up and beat them.

Put a muck savage in a uniform and its just a muck savage in a uniform...

Asparagus

i'm pretty sure that your making all that up - i mean if it were true and started to be the norm i might have to get radical.

The gardai have no remit to impound private property for non display of tax surely....
Surely they give a ticket and move on... the guy must have said something....

Otherwise its theft.

I hope you had a child seat in your car or they might track you down...

DeputyEdo

What the hell!!!

How dare the gardai do their job...that's fecking disgusting.
People with young children shouldn't have to pay car tax...and people without car tax should be allowed to drive around anyway.

I don't know what the world is coming to. If things carry on like this, before you know it, the gardai will be arresting murderers and people with no car insurance and drunk drivers.....terrible state of affairs to be in. :rolleyes:

FrankSpeaks

i'm pretty sure that your making all that up - i mean if it were true and started to be the norm i might have to get radical.

The gardai have no remit to impound private property for non display of tax surely....
Surely they give a ticket and move on... the guy must have said something....

Otherwise its theft.

I hope you had a child seat in your car or they might track you down...
They can impound cars for not having duty paid, they can probably do the same for insurance, not sure about road tax.

loaded32

Odyessus

...with everything else going on and all the reprieves for banks, bond holders, developers etc etc, I was completely agasp yesterday evening as I came out of my parents house.

The Gardai had setup a checkpoint just over the street and had pulled in a car which contained a couple in their late 20's ( I knew them to see from the locality) and then in anguish I also saw the mother take a baby toddler girl (circa 20 months old I'd say) from the back seat of the car as the dad was in discussions with both Gardai. After about 5 minutes of remonstrating by the Dad, 1 of the Gardai proceeded to take the keys, get behind the wheel and drive off in the couple's 03 Ford...leaving the distraught couple and baby on the side of the street as the other Garda proceeded to drive off in the Garda car.
I made my way over to the couple and asked if I could help in anyway. They told me that the cars had taken their car as their tax was out on it since July this year but he was made redundant in May and they were trying to put some money by over the months to pay the arrears on the tax, but the gardai would have none of it and discarded their car depsite their pleadings based on the child's welfare ( it was a damn cold evening also!!)
I gave them a lift back home as the 3 of us agreed on how socially and morally defunked the Gardai now were also and given the fact that the real criminals in this country both white collar and the rest are nowhere near being repremanded by them, they were acting like nothing but Revenue Commissioners in disguise!

Most people would understand cpl to be an abbreviation for corporal. Why not just write "couple"?

Mugabe

Why didn't the guards just summons them and let them have the car?

Do guards get an incentive to seize?

Mushroom

We'd need to know more facts here. Was the car stolen? Was it insured?
Might a confiscation order have been been issued by the courts? etc.

If not, and if the facts are as stated in the OP, then a complaint must be made to the Garda Ombudsman.

loaded32

So if you have kids you shouldnt have to pay road tax?
I think you are missing the point and the point is certainly not as simplistic as that. Bertie didnt have a tax clearance certificate yet he was Taoiseach fgs!!

bonkers

they can take a car off you for no tax.most of them have no cop on.

Nermal

Gardai are allowed to impound any car where the motor tax is two months or more out of date. I don't think there are exemptions for toddlers or the unemployed, nor should there be.

Old Mr Grouser

... They told me that the cars had taken their car as their tax was out on it since July this year but he was made redundant in May and they were trying to put some money by over the months to pay the arrears on the tax, but the gardai would have none of it and discarded their car depsite their pleadings based on the child's welfare ( it was a damn cold evening also!!)

A car that is untaxed is often also uninsured and not being properly maintained. These road-blocks are saving lives.Irish road deaths 'fall by 42%' - The Irish Times - Wed, May 19, 2010

A family that can't afford a car shouldn't have one, and financially will be far better off without it.

realistic1

I hope this story is not true and I know a lot of Gardai would not participate in such a act but there is Gardai who will do anything for promotion etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies