• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gardai using their personal mobiles and laptops for work purposes, a Question Please!

venusian

There are numerous reports of the Gardai using their personal Laptops and mobiles for Garda duties:roll:

Any Departmental laptops are usually encrypted so in case if they are ever stolen or lost etc the information used on them is not available to all and sundry

If it is true that the Gardai are using their own personal Laptops and Mobiles for Garda duties is is not illegal? It leaves them wide open for criminal abuse

Is it not criminal that any information on their personal IT equipment can be easily accessible to anyone lets say if it falls into the hands of a criminal or a FF/FFger/"Labour" politician or some such lowlife who wants to make use of it?

The Gardai be immediately instructed to cease using such personal equipment forthwith and of course be provided with whatever kit they need for the job, though with idiots like Shatter and the rest of the political liars in FG they won't be provided with nothing except a cut in their income.

Why has the media been silent about drawing it to the attention of interested bodies even minor ones like the Data Protection Commissioner? Or because mobile phone passwords are so easy to hack perhaps the media are happy to have them use their personal equipment for obvious reasons

Won't it make an interseting PQ for Min Shatter and pals to answer?:lol:

What do you think folks?

storybud1

They probably just log on to Pulse (another F uk up by the politicians) so there would be no issue as logins could not be saved. The worry is how safe is the streets from the Courts that hand out mickey mouse jail time to repeat offenders.

You only have to look at the scum with 50 convictions etc, this is madness,

Limerick gang rapist expected to be freed soon - Leader Local - Limerick Leader

It makes your blood boil when the people we pay massive wages to are incompetent at even the simplest task.

venusian

They probably just log on to Pulse (another F uk up by the politicians) so there would be no issue as logins could not be saved. The worry is how safe is the streets from the Courts that hand out mickey mouse jail time to repeat offenders.

You only have to look at the scum with 50 convictions etc, this is madness,

Limerick gang rapist expected to be freed soon - Leader Local - Limerick Leader

It makes your blood boil when the people we pay massive wages to are incompetent at even the simplest task.
Being very IT familiar my friend (I use the term loosely no hard feelings etc) If they do use non-encrypted hardware (abuse) them for logging onto Pulse they are leaving a very open information trail indeed!

Roman Emperor

...The Gardai be immediately instructed to cease using such personal equipment forthwith and of course be provided with whatever kit they need for the job, though with idiots like Shatter and the rest of the political liars in FG they won't be provided with nothing except a cut in their income...
Let's not fool ourselves here.The only reason members of the Garda use their personal computers for work is because it suits them perfectly well to do so.

Sesna

PJ Stone said on Pat Kenny the other morning that they only use their laptops to print out "templates" which are then hand written on.

sking81

It may not be illegal, but it certainly imbecilic practice, especially if confidential documents are being stored offline. Even if documents arent being saved, there are potential security risks-for instance, if a laptop is stolen, loaded with keylogging software and replaced, or if a bad enough malware is installed, data and logins are pretty easy to harvest. All it takes is one person to get access to the PULSE system and there would be a diaster in the works.

Having previously worked in IT, trusting end users or peoples personal kit is insane. A large percentage of people are simply idiots when it comes to security and passwords. I worked for one guy who had them all stuck on a sticker beside the touchpad of his keyboard so he wouldnt forget them-and this was a director of a company.

I'd imagine the Gardai themselves are none to happy with this setup, or at least the ones with any commonsense.

mhagain

One word - cuts.

fuque

eyelight

Judging from my only recent dealings with Gardaí, their methods of information storage are pathetic.
Scrawls in an already overflowing little notebook just don't cut it these days.

Six months after a minor traffic accident, my insurance company still has not received the official report they need from the Gardaí.

Last edited:

Trainwreck

It may not be illegal, but it certainly imbecilic practice, especially if confidential documents are being stored offline. Even if documents arent being saved, there are potential security risks-for instance, if a laptop is stolen, loaded with keylogging software and replaced, or if a bad enough malware is installed, data and logins are pretty easy to harvest. All it takes is one person to get access to the PULSE system and there would be a diaster in the works.

Having previously worked in IT, trusting end users or peoples personal kit is insane. A large percentage of people are simply idiots when it comes to security and passwords. I worked for one guy who had them all stuck on a sticker beside the touchpad of his keyboard so he wouldnt forget them-and this was a director of a company.

I'd imagine the Gardai themselves are none to happy with this setup, or at least the ones with any commonsense.
Having worked in many companies I can tell you IT people are extremely naive about security. They believe that making access increasingly complex with longer passwords made up with random easily forgettable strings of numbers and characters that need to be changed frequently increases security when it weakens it.

Astral Peaks

PJ Stone said on Pat Kenny the other morning that they only use their laptops to print out "templates" which are then hand written on.
Would the GRA like to comment on the difficulties the Garda management have had getting members to accept new labour saving technology over the years?

A problem reflected across the entire PS, it must be said.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Judging from my only recent dealings with Gardaí, their methods of information storage are pathetic.
Scrawls in and already overflowing little notebook just don't cut it these days.
The lack of technology in modern Garda stations is scandalous. It is astoundingly wasteful of public resources (a laptop costs less than a couple of days salary for a Guard, and a broadband connection costs pennies).

This is a management issue. By refusing to use their personal mobile phones and laptops, the guards are doing the service and the public purse a big favour in the medium term.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Would the GRA like to comment on the difficulties the Garda management have had getting members to accept new labour saving technology over the years?

A problem reflected across the entire PS, it must be said.
The management shouldn't have any difficulty getting guards to accept new technology. The Guards can't strike. When the management say "jump" the guards have to say "how high?".

There is no excuse for management failure to introduce new technology. I'm not a fan of the guards, but the lads on the ground are not responsible for the obvious failure of the force to embrace better work practices.

It appears the work practices haven't been made available.

daveL

Having worked in many companies I can tell you IT people are extremely naive about security. They believe that making access increasingly complex with longer passwords made up with random easily forgettable strings of numbers and characters that need to be changed frequently increases security when it weakens it.
Indeed. What happens to the easily forgettable passwords?

They get written down of course...

The regularly changing password is one of the dumbest 'precautions' ever

Indeed. What happens to the easily forgettable passwords?

They get written down of course...

The regularly changing password is one of the dumbest 'precautions' ever
They get written down by idiots who can face the sack for such idiocy.

You'll be telling me next that there should be no userid revoke after a number of incorrect password entries.

daveL

They get written down by idiots who can face the sack for such idiocy.

You'll be telling me next that there should be no userid revoke after a number of incorrect password entries.
no I wouldn't.

But why should password created using strong password guidelines be changed 3 months later for another using the same guidelines... It leads to recording these utterly forgettable passwords where they shouldn't be recorded.

I work in Software Development and fail to see the logic.

But you can maintain your bullheaded position. I find most people in Infrastructure Support also behave that way.

TiredOfBeingTired

Are the private cars insured for business purposes?

"What the car will actually be used for is also taken into account. A standard policy covers the vehicle for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, but not for the carriage of goods. If the car is being used for business, then a loading will apply. If the car is being used commercially, then an even higher loading will be imposed."

Motor insurance

stakerwallace

Let's not fool ourselves here.The only reason members of the Garda use their personal computers for work is because it suits them perfectly well to do so.
Can't see why that would be the case. I do it myself occasionaly but all the benefit is to the employer.

no I wouldn't.

But why should password created using strong password guidelines be changed 3 months later for another using the same guidelines... It leads to recording these utterly forgettable passwords where they shouldn't be recorded.

I work in Software Development and fail to see the logic.

But you can maintain your bullheaded position. I find most people in Infrastructure Support also behave that way.
My business is IT security.

In my experience password changes are enforced n a monthly basis - certainly that seems to be the standard in banks.
For remote access they invariably use an RSA token (which in effect mean that their password changes every 60 seconds). I'd be surprised if the Gardai weren't using that system.