• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gardai? What Gardai??


rocketman

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
39
Hi folks, I know there has probably been a thread along these lines before, however, i just travelled back from Killarney to dublin this morning and i was amazed at the total absence of Gardai on our roads!

Not a SINGLE one to be seen. I also drove to Cork on Saturday morning and back to Killarney that afternoon and STILL..... NO Gardai!! So after almost 500 miles of driving - not one checkpoint or sighting of the traffic corps - in a word - worrying. :(

Is nobody else amazed at this, seeing as today is the first day of the introduction of the new penalty points and the death toll on the roads has risen to 98! :twisted:

Has anyone else been driving this weekend/other weekend and if so, were you happy with the visible presence of our Guards??... like did you see any at all??
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
7,956
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
rocketman said:
Hi folks, I know there has probably been a thread along these lines before, however, i just travelled back from Killarney to dublin this morning and i was amazed at the total absence of Gardai on our roads!

Not a SINGLE one to be seen. I also drove to Cork on Saturday morning and back to Killarney that afternoon and STILL..... NO Gardai!! So after almost 500 miles of driving - not one checkpoint or sighting of the traffic corps - in a word - worrying. :(

Is nobody else amazed at this, seeing as today is the first day of the introduction of the new penalty points and the death toll on the roads has risen to 98! :twisted:

Has anyone else been driving this weekend/other weekend and if so, were you happy with the visible presence of our Guards??... like did you see any at all??
Try driving the Cashel by-pass. Lovely big open road, big huge concrete bollards dividing the middle, that would take a train to break through. Absolutely deadly dangerous death trap.

Gardai are always on it, hiding on the off ramp going down onto the Cork to Dublin side, from the roundabout to Rosegreen/Fethard/Clonmel.
 

edifice.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
8,407
Seen nine branchmen this morning.
 

JCSkinner

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,250
Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
edifice. said:
JCSkinner said:
[quote="edifice.":24msjwkw]Seen nine branchmen this morning.
Sat in your garden as per usual, eh?
Me or the branchmen?[/quote:24msjwkw]

I was thinking them. Or did you bring out a pot of tea and join them?
 

edifice.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
8,407
JCSkinner said:
I was thinking them. Or did you bring out a pot of tea and join them?
No, no tea just an escort.
 

edifice.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
8,407
JCSkinner said:
You brought them out an escort?
:shock:
Jebus, that's some detente between you boys and the cops this weather!
Always blaming the weather :roll:
 

rocketman

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
39
JCSkinner said:
Next question is, do you keep many escorts around the house just in case the branch drop in?
JC and edifice, i mean it when i say that i hope you never lose a loved one on our roads through Drink Driving/Reckless driving or both as is usually the case. U Idiots.

Keep it on thread or F**k off.

Thanks
 

JCSkinner

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,250
Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
You saw no cars on one day's drive. So ****ing what? Are we to imply anything from your single driving experience?
When a tit like Cullen is your transport minister and they're putting chat show hasbeens in charge of the road safety authority, you know that the whole issue is already being treated like a joke by the very people charged with making a difference.
You got a problem with the road carnage in this country, take it up with Cullen.
 

morryah

Active member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
113
I think they'll give it a rest for a few days and then up the profile.


Funny to hear the country shouting out for visible gardai, I seem to recall cries of nanny statism not too long back.
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
7,956
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
morryah said:
I think they'll give it a rest for a few days and then up the profile.


Funny to hear the country shouting out for visible gardai, I seem to recall cries of nanny statism not too long back.
Don't they usually up the profile for a few days and then give it a rest Morryah ?

Why would you think they'd do it the opposite way ?

Is this some cunning plan ?

More cunning than a fox maybe ?
 

morryah

Active member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
113
rockofcashel said:
morryah said:
I think they'll give it a rest for a few days and then up the profile.
Don't they usually up the profile for a few days and then give it a rest Morryah ?

Why would you think they'd do it the opposite way ?
I agree. they'll do nothing, then up the profile, then lower it again and we'll go on as before.
 

david

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
190
It is true though that gardaí seem to be in short supply. I rarely see 'em.

And these new penalty points things brought in today.

"Driving too close to the vehicle in front"? Who is to say? The driver in front? Maybe the driver behind is supposed to own up. Can you honestly see anyone receiving points for that offence?

"Failing to comply with traffic signs"? But, but, but, 99% of drivers do that now anyway.

"Failure to act in accordance with a Garda signal"? What garda?

"Failure to stop when so required by a member of the Garda Síochána"? See above.

"Failure to obey requirements regarding reversing of vehicles, e.g. reversing from minor road onto main road"? Who's gonna see you anyway?

"Driving on a cycle track"? If only we had some...

As for "Driving without reasonable consideration"...

Talk about number padding.

All the 'offences' are simply things an intelligent driver doesn't do anyway. So, without enforcement, you're still stuck with the same idiot bozos who don't give a toss about anyone else.
 

rocketman

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
39
JCSkinner said:
You saw no cars on one day's drive. So f****** what? Are we to imply anything from your single driving experience?
When a tit like Cullen is your transport minister and they're putting chat show hasbeens in charge of the road safety authority, you know that the whole issue is already being treated like a joke by the very people charged with making a difference.
You got a problem with the road carnage in this country, take it up with Cullen.
Jaysus, dont take it out on me. And dont play down the amount of travel i did over the weekend. When someone can travel 500 miles on our roads and not meet a Guard its a disgrace. And yes, i do have to agree wit you about Cullen, Gaybo. Cullen is a little arrogant P***k who has an answer for everything except the issues that he was appointed to office to address.
 
Top