garden party

McSlaggart

""Just to explain, there was an invitation extended to council from the Department of Communities to attend a garden party in Buckingham Palace.

"We were more than willing to accommodate anyone going to Buckingham Palace but the key thing was that it shouldn't be at a cost to the ratepayers."

Sinn Féin mayor in royal garden party 'snub' row - BBC News

What is wrong that the people who wanted to go would not pay for the trip themselves?

[video=youtube;rFugRFKqjFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFugRFKqjFg[/video]

Levellers

Unionists pay their own way? No way!

Harold Wilson, English PM, summed them up perfectly.

[video=youtube;_1XbfR-yaqA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XbfR-yaqA[/video]

vivabrigada

""Just to explain, there was an invitation extended to council from the Department of Communities to attend a garden party in Buckingham Palace.

"We were more than willing to accommodate anyone going to Buckingham Palace but the key thing was that it shouldn't be at a cost to the ratepayers."

Sinn Féin mayor in royal garden party 'snub' row - BBC News

What is wrong that the people who wanted to go would not pay for the trip themselves?

[video=youtube;rFugRFKqjFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFugRFKqjFg[/video]
Why don't the British royals pay for it, it's their party?

Oh wait, we already pay for the British royals so we are expected to pay twice for their parties.
That's some racket the Windsors run, isn't it.

McSlaggart

Unionists pay their own way? No way!

Harold Wilson, English PM, summed them up perfectly.

The thing is the British royals are forever doing this type of self publicity and expecting firms and local government to foot the bill to send people to the events.

Paddyc

The thing is the British royals are forever doing this type of self publicity and expecting firms and local government to foot the bill to send people to the events.
To be fair to the British Royals, if I invite someone to a party, I don't send a car to collect them, I expect them to make their own way there.

If someone is annoyed that their local authority won't pay for them to attend a Royal garden party, then I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for them.

former wesleyan

Servant of Jesus.

devonish

To be fair to the British Royals, if I invite someone to a party, I don't send a car to collect them, I expect them to make their own way there.

If someone is annoyed that their local authority won't pay for them to attend a Royal garden party, then I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for them.
As long as there is consistency then fine, do the public reps pay for travel and accommodation when they are invited to Washington to fawn over the president on St Paddy's day? I doubt it.

Paddyc

As long as there is consistency then fine, do the public reps pay for travel and accommodation when they are invited to Washington to fawn over the president on St Paddy's day? I doubt it.
That would be a matter for the Irish Government and seeing as they're getting to meet the leader of the free world, it's usually seen as a good deal for Ireland.

Having said that, there's always a bit of whinge about the cost of sending almost the entire cabinet around the world on St. Patrick's day so there's usually a long list of the engagements involved to try and convince us it's not a perk.

Mickeymac

Sinn Fein “respect” in action.

Indeed Raz, all democratic votes need to be treated with respect, better get used to it, the border plebiscite could throw up a similar democratic vote........bring it on as I believe that vote will pass much more comfortably, thank you very much.:D

Mickeymac

Apples and Oranges Dev,

DUP/SF when in government jointly said publicly such trips around the globe were aimed at attracting new and badly needed investment and jobs for the six county region of Ireland.

Do you reckon Dev, a trip to a garden party in London by some bible bashing bigot is going to attract many jobs and investment?:D

McSlaggart

If it was for the President then of course they should pay.

AhNowStop

Do both sides of the community not go to NYC & Washington for Paddies day ? ...

I was in NYC one year for paddies day and there were certainly NI politicians from both sides there ...

Niall996

Sinn Fein “respect” in action.
the invitation itself was grossly disrespectful.It deserved to be thrown in the waste paper basket. The will they learn.

Mickeymac

the invitation itself was grossly disrespectful.It deserved to be thrown in the waste paper basket. The will they learn.

When you put it that way, I believe it fair to say the British exercised their ignorance of Irish affairs and in the process caused even more division within their false statelet........such clowns these people are.

Mickeymac

Do both sides of the community not go to NYC & Washington for Paddies day ? ...

I was in NYC one year for paddies day and there were certainly NI politicians from both sides there ...

There were two "religious" unionist types, who I know of, who took it a little further and indulged in a little piece of "Spring Break" further South.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies