Garech de Brún is Dead - one of Ireland's best patrons of Irish Music is gone.

Catalpast

Garech de Brún is Dead

A member of the extended Guinness family, De Brún lived most of his life at his house "Luggala" in Co Wicklow and played host to many leading lights from the worlds of acting, publishing and music, including Mick Jagger and Sean O’Riada.

De Brún also played a pivotal role in the formation of The Chieftains in 1962, after he asked his friend Paddy Moloney to form a group for a one-off album on Claddagh Records, the traditional Irish music label de Brún founded with Ivor Browne in 1959.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0311/946588-arts-patron-garech-de-brun-dies-aged-79/

Met him a few times - very polite and decent chap!

Did a lot for the revival of Trad Music here in the 60s, 70s etc

RIP to the Man.

cricket

Will always be associated with the Chieftains.

ne0ica

Rip

asset test

His lair was the epitome of privacy up there in Luggala. Beautiful surroundings and so on.

No plebs allowed!

wombat

Seemed a very interesting guy, very important to traditional music when it was weak. Not a big Chieftains fan but no doubting their importance. RIP

Ellen Ripley

RIP.

He was a direct descendant of Lord Oranmore and Browne; the ancestral home was at Castlemacgarrett, near Claremorris in Co Mayo.

publicrealm

His lair was the epitome of privacy up there in Luggala. Beautiful surroundings and so on.

No plebs allowed!

Not in the house perhaps - which is fair enough imo - but hill-walking plebs like me were very appreciative that he allowed free access along his private estate roads and through his farm to the mountains.

I always considered it very generous and public spirited.

Rip.

asset test

Not in the house perhaps - which is fair enough imo - but hill-walking plebs like me were very appreciative that he allowed free access along his private estate roads and through his farm to the mountains.

I always considered it very generous and public spirited.

Rip.
Good to hear. But the house was off limits fair enough. If you can live there you have to have some privacy I reckon!

asset test

Guinness connections there I think.

They did so much for Dublin with the Iveagh Trust and so on. Kudos.

Mushroom

Now that he's passed on, RIP, the Iveagh Trust will be able to sell off the estate without his three months' residency condition.

More money for the trust, but it will cost the exchequer more to purchase it, unfortunately.

asset test

Now that he's passed on, RIP, the Iveagh Trust will be able to sell off the estate without his three months' residency condition.

More money for the trust, but it will cost the exchequer more to purchase it, unfortunately.
Oh I would think they have that all sorted taxwise and every otherwise. They had the best advisers.

New Threads