Garrett Fitzgerald on Newstalk

Tomas Mor

Heard Garrett on Newstalk. Sound very weak and it was hard to know what he was saying. He praised Lenihan and said something about him which seemed to pass over head of Chris, that Lenihan was not part of the problems that FF created, because "he was too intelligent and honest to be appointed to government" ( in Bertie era) . He also praised Noonan. I cant make up my mind whether it is right for him to be coming out so much, or whether he should stay silent. I know he is a respected elder statesman but is he past his sell by date ?

Last edited:

Cassandra Syndrome

I would say that the 5 times Bilderberg attendee has dreamt of this day for the best part of his contemptuous treacherous life. His Blueshirt father would be proud too.

LiberalFG

Twitter
@dmvmurphy
He did fine and he was perfectly coherent you ************************ stirring twat.

Kerrygold

This old fart should just leave the public stage. Calling Lenihan honest is complete bollox after the year he's had and given his performance on Newsweek last week this comment makes Garrett "The Brit" look even more foolish.

And he's an embarrassment to FG.

Tomas Mor

He did fine and he was perfectly coherent you ************************ stirring twat.

I was given 25 mins by DC to remove a post where i called someone a twat, or I would be banned. Hope the same rule applies to you ! But to main topic, can you name any other leader anywhere who is butting in as often as Garrett,and his own record was not that good either.

Goodbody

I've been a big fan of Garret all my life, but very let down by his contributions during this financial crisis. It's also difficult to understand what he's saying. I'm wondering if he has had a stroke of some sort.

Barnacle

Heard Garrett on Newstalk. Sound very weak and it was hard to know what he was saying. He praised Lenihan and said something about him which seemed to pass over head of Chris, that Lenihan was not part of the problems that FF created, because "he was to intelligent and honest to be appointed to government" ( in Bertie era) . He also praised Noonan. I cant make up my mind whether it is right for him to be coming out so much, or whether he should stay silent. I know he is a respected elder statesman but is he past his sell by date ?
I also found it very hard to understand him, he should come with subtitles (along with JHealyRae)

Tomas Mor

I've been a big fan of Garret all my life, but very let down by his contributions during this financial crisis. It's also difficult to understand what he's saying. I'm wondering if he has had a stroke of some sort.
Thats my point too, has he nobody around him to advise him to cop on,he hardly needs the money ?

Cruffan

This old fart should just leave the public stage. Calling Lenihan honest is complete bollox after the year he's had and given his performance on Newsweek last week this comment makes Garrett "The Brit" look even more foolish.

And he's an embarrassment to FG.
Garret obviously did not see Newsnight!

Here is the interview again:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE_K7eM2wl8]YouTube - Lenihan on Newsnight 9th November 2010[/ame]

Pardon me if I paraphrase from memory:

"The Banks are not the problem....."

"The Bank bailout is only costing €1-1.5 billion per year over ten years...."

mido

and he has absolutely no connection either now or in the past to people who rabidly promoted and profited from the false dawn of the property boom in south county dublin and elsewhere?

Goodbody

Did he have a tidy sum of debt written off back in the last Century,by AIB and Ansbacher?
This is what the Moriarty Tribunal said about that, and contrasted his behavior with that of Charles Haughey:

In summary it would appear that in compromising his indebtedness with the Bank, Dr. Fitzgerald disposed of his only substantial asset, namely, his family home at Palmerston Road, a property which would now be worth a considerable sum of money. As in Mr. Haughey’s case, there was a substantial discounting or forbearance shown in Dr. Fitzgerald’s case. However in contrast with Mr. Haughey’s case, Dr. Fitzgerald’s case involved the effective exhaustion of his assets in order to achieve a settlement whereas Mr. Haughey’s assets were retained virtually intact.

Tomas Mor

Garrett is wrong, Bertie did make him Minister for Justice in 2007,and before that he was a super junior, sitting in the high chair at cabinet meetings, so Lenny did know what was going on. And Lenny told us about the cheapest bail out of all times, then Anglo would cost us 4 bl. I have lost track of the number of things Lenihan got wrong. Maybe there is some sort of self styled educated intellectual snobbery brotherhood between Garret and Lenihan ?

Illustro

I would say that the 5 times Bilderberg attendee has dreamt of this day for the best part of his contemptuous treacherous life. His Blueshirt father would be proud too.
Absolutely. I'd say traitors all over the country are opening the Champagne today. They must be giddy with excitement that their endgame of destroying Ireland that they've been working on for decades is finally bearing fruit

"Let me issue and control a Nation's money and I care not who makes its laws"

Mayer Rothschild

idle tim

This is what the Moriarty Tribunal said about that, and contrasted his behavior with that of Charles Haughey:
Still nice of them to write off the Debt,why not contrast and compare with the countless commoners who have ended up inside Mountjoy for being unable to repay far smaller sums.:oops:

ItsLehmansWotDoneIt

Garrett is wrong, Bertie did make him Minister for Justice in 2007,and before that he was a super junior, sitting in the high chair at cabinet meetings, so Lenny did know what was going on. And Lenny told us about the cheapest bail out of all times, then Anglo would cost us 4 bl. I have lost track of the number of things Lenihan got wrong. Maybe there is some sort of self styled educated intellectual snobbery brotherhood between Garret and Lenihan ?
+1

Day by day I am losing more of the, once considerable, respect I had for Garrett. A lot of the time he is still capable of making perfect sense, cutting to the essence of an issue and judging things calmly and clearly. But to call Lenny honest and intelligent, even just in the light of the things Lenny has said in the last 10 days, nevermind the tosh we have been treated to for the last 2 years, is just going too far.
Time for Garrett to shut up.

controller

Did I hear him advocating cuts for everybody? to show that we are all in this together. But I seem to recall him saying in another interview that the constitution does not allow him to have a pay cut. So it would seem that cuts are for everybody else....*

*I may have got all wrong and am willing to be corrected

thebig C

Hey

Maybe I am wrong, but heres my theory.

I have noticed that recently Ed Walsh and Garret Fitzgerald have both strongly praised Lenihan. The only connection between Walsh and Fitzgerald is that they are both highly educated Academics. Lenihan, is a highly educated Academic also.

Could it be that there is a sort of informal club amongst these people? Perhaps they are so caught up in acadenic attainment that they just cannot concieve that one of their own could possibly be incompetent?!

Maybe its a slightly askew theory, however it did occur to me because in a pervious life I had to work with alot of people of PHd level on a training programme. One thing I noticed was that despite personal and political differences there was an unspoken respect for anybody of similiar level. And a corresponding contempt for those who didn't have the same "paper qualifications", so many quite able people including those running very successful businnesses were looked upon as lightweights!

C

New Threads

Most Replies