Gary Johnson just screwed his campaign

dent

Gary Johnson has just f**ked his campaign, in the last 30 minutes.

He was asked on Morning Joe about Aleppo by Mike Barnacle, and said "What's Aleppo ?". It had to be explained to him.

He's being slaughtered for it. He was followed out of the studio by Halperin to give him a second chance and instead started talking about not knowing some town in New Mexico where he was Governor !

dent

Barnacle is stunned - "you're kidding". "No." "Aleppo is in Syria. It's the epicentre of the refugee crisis ..." "OK, got it."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gary-johnson-asks-what-is-aleppo

The Libertarian candidate for president has apparently not been keeping close tabs on the Syrian civil war that has decimated the country and created hundreds of thousands of refugees.

“What would you do if you were elected about Aleppo?" Mike Barnicle asked Gary Johnson on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“About?” Johnson asked.

“Aleppo,” Barnicle repeated, referring to Syria’s second-largest city, which has been hit in recent weeks by a series of devastating chemical gas attacks and targeted bombing strikes on its few remaining medical facilities.

“And what is Aleppo?” Johnson asked sunnily, to the astonishment of the “Morning Joe” hosts.

“You’re kidding,” Barnicle said.

“No,” Johnson replied.

“Aleppo is in Syria. It’s the epicenter of the refugee crisis,” Barnicle said.

“Okay got it, got it,” Johnson said. “Well with regard to Syria I do think that it’s a mess. I think the only way that we deal with Syria is to join hands with Russia to diplomatically bring that to an end.”
https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/773851435477762048 for video

Ardillaun

Given that his party wants to be less involved abroad, and given what his competitors have said already, it's hardly fatal.

flavirostris

I know nothing about Johnson but the US media tends to overblow these incidents where some politician dosen't know about some obscure place on the globe.

They're like 'Oh my God, can you believe Sarah Palin / Gary Johnson / Donald Trump didn't know what the capital of Djibouti is... that just like totally proves what an ignorant, racist bigot he/ she is.. They're just another one of these dumb Americans who's never been outside his / her own state..'

They would usually never do it to the likes of Hilary Clinton or Obama.

Basically who gives a shít if Johnson dosen't know where or what Aleppo is. Most people in Ireland don't either.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I know nothing about Johnson but the US media tends to overblow these incidents where some politician dosen't know about some obscure place on the globe.

They're like 'Oh my God, can you believe Sarah Palin / Gary Johnson / Donald Trump didn't know what the capital of Djibouti is... that just like totally proves what an ignorant, racist bigot he/ she is.. They're just another one of these dumb Americans who's never been outside his / her own state..'

They would usually never do it to the likes of Hilary Clinton or Obama.

Basically who gives a shít if Johnson dosen't know where or what Aleppo is. Most people in Ireland don't either.
Except that Aleppo isn't obscure, and hasn't been for some time now.

Anyone can have a blank, but as blanks go, it's a doozer.

owedtojoy

Gary Johnson has just f**ked his campaign, in the last 30 minutes.

He was asked on Morning Joe about Aleppo by Mike Barnacle, and said "What's Aleppo ?". It had to be explained to him.

He's being slaughtered for it. He was followed out of the studio by Halperin to give him a second chance and instead started talking about not knowing some town in New Mexico where he was Governor !
Sounds like a Brain Fart of Seismic Magnitude.

But Donald Trump has those all the time (Mexican judges, dead Muslim heroes, assassinating Hillary Clinton, rapes in teh military are the fault of people who let women join up, lies about his approval for the war in Iraq, lies about his approval for the war in Libya .... the list goes on), and the media hastily make up redemption stories on his behalf.

Johnson's real problem may be his lack of friends in the media.

sadcitizen

On the one hand, sort of 'who cares'. But how could you not have even *heard* of it? Even just enough to know that it's something to do with current affairs...just enough to know not to ask 'What's Aleppo'. It's incomprehensible.

But Donald Trump has those all the time (Mexican judges, dead Muslim heroes, assassinating Hillary Clinton, rapes in teh military are the fault of people who let women join up, lies about his approval for the war in Iraq, lies about his approval for the war in Libya .... the list goes on), and the media hastily make up redemption stories on his behalf.
Trump has never made a gaffe of this magnitude. Even the most green politician wouldn't leave themselves exposed by asking such a silly question (even if they'd never heard of Aleppo). You wouldn't even do it in your secondary school debating class.

former wesleyan

Libertarian is a prime example of what Churchill spoke of as America and Britain sharing a different language in common.

Nitrogen

Gary who?

Erudite Caveman

Minus points for not knowing Aleppo, but once he knew that it was in Syria he had a very sensible answer to the question - worth listening to.

If his campaign sinks as a result of this, then the electorate know less about politics than he knows about Syrian geography.

sadcitizen

Minus points for not knowing Aleppo, but once he knew that it was in Syria he had a very sensible answer to the question.

If his campaign sinks as a result of this, then the electorate know less about politics than he knows about Syrian geography.
Not having heard of Aleppo effectively invalidates anything he says about Syria from that point on.

Toland

Website
Minus points for not knowing Aleppo, but once he knew that it was in Syria he had a very sensible answer to the question - worth listening to.

Some would argue (not me necessarily) that not knowing what Aleppo should disqualify him from having any sort of opinion on Syria.

Erudite Caveman

Sounds like a Brain Fart of Seismic Magnitude.

Johnson's real problem may be his lack of friends in the media.
There is no comparison between this and Trumps statements. Johnson's answer once he understood the question was measured and nuanced. Trump just does bombast and plays to the ignorance of his base.

petaljam

Some would argue (not me necessarily) that not knowing what Aleppo should disqualify him from having any sort of opinion on Syria.
I've no particular opinion on the candidate (know almost nothing about him) but could this be more of a misunderstanding due to the stress of live interviews than genuine ignorance? A little like an instantaneous "egg-corn" where the person hears something else, like "a Leppo", or "Al Epo" or something?

(Though if so, maybe that condemns him almost as much, if he's not able to handle press conferences etc?)

fgrep

Master stroke by Gary. I had no idea who he was 'til this thread showed up on the news feed and p.ie. Now I know who he is, what he stands for and his ignorance of the name of the City is not fatal imo given his understanding of Syria.

Toland

Website
I've no particular opinion on the candidate (know almost nothing about him) but could this be more of a misunderstanding due to the stress of live interviews than genuine ignorance? A little like an instantaneous "egg-corn" where the person hears something else, like "a Leppo", or "Al Epo" or something?

(Though if so, maybe that condemns him almost as much, if he's not able to handle press conferences etc?)
As I say, a blank. But a pretty bad one. Having watched the video, I think Barnicle was aiming and hoping for what actually happened.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Yeah...we all knew Gary Johnson was weak on Foreign Policy (also he has other strange shakiness)

That's why Bill Weld was picked to round out the ticket

But...it's been game over for them for some time...

cyp

sadcitizen

Like I said, some people know less about politics than he knows about geography.
Well it wasn't a geography question.

But ignoring that this simple question showed that he hasn't enough of a fundamental knowledge of the Syrian War (or geography) to be commenting further, and hasn't even watched the news or read a newspaper in 2 years, it was just such an incomprehensibly stupid reply from him. He could have asked a hundred things to wheedle out a question he could answer.

It sounds like he just got too comfortable on the show and forgot what he was doing. Even our dimmest freshest TDs would never get caught out like this though. They'd do verbal summersaults before they say "I dunno".

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies