Gas network comes to town

GDPR

Recent road words in Wexford Town had me wondering what was being installed when I saw that the pipes were definitely not water or sewer pipes. A quick google search reveals what's called 'Wexford Town Gas and Water Project' with phase 1 of a €25 million investment currently being rolled out per above map to serve businesses. These works will be going on until early 2017 and will see quite a bit of disruption in the towns traffic in the short term for much needed long term gain, making Wexford more attractive for business with claims of 30-60% in reduced bills by switching to gas. This follows on from the recently installed gas pipe line from Great Island via Taghmon and a section of the Cork Road, going down the Dublin Road to Drinagh and the IDA industrial estate area.

Phase 1 is for a total of 14km of gas pipes and will also see 1km of leaky water pipes being replaced. Phase 2 (no map available at this time) will see a further 13km of gas pipes to serve residential areas, and the replacement of 11.7km of leaking old water pipes. It is claimed that the two phases will see a reduction in water leakage of 600,000 litres per day or approx. the water demand for a town the size of Bunclody. Phase 2 is to commence mid 2017. With Wexford a major unemployment black spot this is a very welcome infrastructural investment to boost the county and hopefully it will bear fruit. Like others parts of the country, the building of houses has only made a tentative come back in recent times, with limited residential property available to rent for instance.

Hopefully the investment will lead to more jobs being retained and created, but will need more housing that is affordable coming on stream to deal with current and future anticipated demand. In conclusion a good news story for Wexford that has been little advertised. Will this put Wexford back on the map?

Delivering gas and water services to Wexford - Gas Networks Ireland

D

Deleted member 48908

Ambitious project, for sure, but it hasn't even put Wexford on the map you posted in the OP.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
As long as the contractors are respectful of the sacred places of Nebbutsheh the Crocodile God of the Slaney they'll be fine.

GDPR

As long as the contractors are respectful of the sacred places of Nebbutsheh the Crocodile God of the Slaney they'll be fine.
Twill be grand. They're going to run the pipe through a badly needed giant pikeman statue to span span the bridge over the Slaney.

Ceartgoleor

Once the royalties & rights for the Corrib gas field was signed away by our corrupt government ministers the logical next step agreed was to build town gas network to enable Shell collect the shillings from the peasants.

Funded of course once more by Irish taxpayers.
It's another form of the Double Irish where the peasants lose on the double.
Not only do they take our gas they expect us to build a pipe network for them.

GDPR

Once the royalties & rights for the Corrib gas field was signed away by our corrupt government ministers the logical next step agreed was to build town gas network to enable Shell collect the shillings from the peasants.

Funded of course once more by Irish taxpayers.
It's another form of the Double Irish where the peasants lose on the double.
Not only do they take our gas they expect us to build a pipe network for them.
Yep, there is that argument that we're subsidising such companies enough already though I'd strongly favour in general such national infrastructure networks being built and more importantly being owned by the state. The Great Island old coal power station was recently replaced by a gas power station owned by a Spanish company I believe.

Socratus O' Pericles

These new watermains you mention, who is paying for those? Dinny I'll wager.

GDPR

No pictures? Only words? How will the locals know what is on these signs?
Jaysus there's no keeping up with ya. The gas line from Great Island to the IDA estate on the edge of Wexford had been going on for over a year and finished up some time in the summer and they left the road into Taghmon in sh1te just so you know. Just assumed that was the end of it, then I seen roadworks the last week. In reality that was phase one, and the now phase two is actually called phase one...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies