• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gay adoption: A step too far in social engineering?

Honecker

It has become almost inevitable that gay marriage will be legislated for Ireland in the next decade. Some people may not like this but I doubt anyone will be seriously upset about it. After all gay marriage will not particularly effect anyone apart from the two people in the marriage. However if gay adoption is permitted then gay marriage will effect the lives of other people ie. children.

Children are better off with both a mother and a father. I also believe that a having a mother is more important than having a father for a child. To allow two men adopt a child as part of some vote seeking operation by the Labour Party would be wrong. I can anticipate all the arguments that will be made against my views eg. what about heterosexual couples who are bad parents? what about children who have a deceased mother and are being raised by a lone father? what about gay people who already have children? etc. However this is to miss the point. The point is there are already lots of competent heterosexual couples out there waiting for the chance to adopt. If a competent heterosexual couple were to miss out on adoption in favour of a gay couple and especially 2 gay men it would be a tragedy and an example of social engineering gone too far. I say no gay adoption unless there is a shortage of competent heterosexual couples seeking to adopt.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I don't think anybody is suggesting that gay couples should have priority with regards to adopting children; rather, people feel they should be entitled to 'apply', just like any straight couple.

drummed

Who'd want to adopt a gay anyway:confused:

Honecker

I don't think anybody is suggesting that gay couples should have priority with regards to adopting children; rather, people feel they should be entitled to 'apply', just like any straight couple.
And my point is they should all be rejected while there are competent heterosexual couples willing to adopt.

bob3344

I hope you will reflect on the derogatory nature of your post.
Its a simple question, and I do believe that a kid is better with a mother & father. Don't think that's an unusual belief. But the fact is that is practically impossible to adopt an Irish kid nowadays, so my question reflects reality.

SEAMAI

A bit like Stan wanting to have babies and be called Loretta in The Life of Brian.

Male Nude Photographer

Its a simple question, and I do believe that a kid is better with a mother & father. Don't think that's an unusual belief. But the fact is that is practically impossible to adopt an Irish kid nowadays, so my question reflects reality.
It might be a simple question, but that does not diminish its offensiveness.

irish_bob

children should not be used as political - idealogical footballs by the pc left

Chrisco

I would agree
You might agree, but you'd both be wrong.

Decadess of
methodologically sound social science research,
especially multiple nationally representative studies
and the expert evidence introduced in the district
courts below, confirm that positive child wellbeing is
the product of stability in the relationship between the
two parents, stability in the relationship between the
parents and child, and greater parental socioeconomic
resources. Whether a child is raised by same-sex or
opposite-sex parents has no bearing on a child’s
wellbeing.
http://www.asanet.org/documents/ASA/pdfs/12-144_307_Amicus_ (C_ Gottlieb)_ASA_Same-Sex_Marriage.pdf

stopdoingstuff

This will occur in such small numbers as to be largely irrelevant.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies