• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gay Marriage a step closer in the UK

Cruimh

BBC News - Gay marriage bill: Peers back government plans

Good news from the house of Lords where there has been a substantial majority, after two days of debate, in favour of the government's plans to allow gay marriage, possibly starting as soon as next summer.

The bill would allow couples, who can currently form civil partnerships, to marry.

If it passes into law, religious organisations would have to "opt in" if they wished to offer gay weddings, except the Church of England and Church in Wales, which would be banned in law from doing so.
I'm not sure why the C of E and Church in Wales are going to be banned, any input welcomed, but it is at least progress towards a fairer society. Similar legislation is expected from Scotland.

Jezza

Good news from the house of Lords where there has been a substantial majority, after two days of debate, in favour of the government's plans to allow gay marriage, possibly starting as soon as next summer.

I'm not sure why the C of E and Church in Wales are going to be banned, any input welcomed, but it is at least progress towards a fairer society. Similar legislation is expected from Scotland.
Assuming it's because they have a constitional role, then fair enough. I don't believe that any independant Church should be forced to do anything they don't want to, but the CoE is not independant.

Mercurial

They're being banned as a way to preempt any legal difficulties arising from the fact that those churches are established. They will be permitted to conduct same-sex marriages if they want to change their policies at some point in the future.

Happytolearn

Great news ! Next stop civil marriage. I'd be very much against any church being forced into performing ceremonies they didn't agree with. Hearts and minds need winning over on that score.

mr. jings

Another gay marriage thread...et tu, Cruimhe?

(Great fecking news BTW!)

Happytolearn

I think it was clever to have it so that Churches have to choose to opt in - so they cannot say they are being forced ......

Agreed - and I'm hopeful we'll be pleasantly surprised at how many churches opt in. The quakers have already said they'll be performing gay ceremonies - presumably in addition to making delicious and nutritious breakfast products.

DJP

I don't want to dash on your parade and I know people in favour of gay marriage are generally only thinking about getting married to their partners but many people (yes only more conscientious people i.e. not most people) are mostly like me in favour of gay marriage but not in favour of gay couples or other undesireable sexually or otherwise couples being able to adopt kids. Sin é. I hope gay marriage comes into Ireland but with this one exception.

Casablanca

Agreed - and I'm hopeful we'll be pleasantly surprised at how many churches opt in. The quakers have already said they'll be performing gay ceremonies - presumably in addition to making delicious and nutritious breakfast products.
+1
Not to mention tasty confectionary and chocolate.

USER1234

I don't want to dash on your parade and I know people in favour of gay marriage are generally only thinking about getting married to their partners but many people (yes only more conscientious people i.e. not most people) are mostly like me in favour of gay marriage but not in favour of gay couples or other undesireable sexually or otherwise couples being able to adopt kids. Sin é. I hope gay marriage comes into Ireland but with this one exception.
1) Great news from the UK

2) The problem with your views is that there based on nothing more than your views, while the evidence shows that children raised in same sex headed households are just as happy and healthy as those raised in opposite sex headed households therefore it should be no bar to them adopting and is not in children up for adoptions best interests!

3) undesirable sexually WTF???

Last edited:

DJP

The problem with your views is that there based on nothing more than your views, while the scientific evidence shows that children raised in same sex headed households are just as happy and healthy as those raised in opposite sex households therefore it should be no bar to them adopting and is not in children up for adoptions best interests!
I have thralled through debates on this topic with little evidence shown and what little evidence there was shown used small sample(s?). Care to prove that "the scientific evidence shows that children raised in same sex headed households are just as happy and healthy as those raised in opposite sex households"?

3) undesirable sexually WTF???
Maybe a sizeable number of kids wouldn't mind but I would say the majority of kids would rather have a man and woman couple adopting them that a man and a man or a woman and a woman. I don't believe they should be asked.

Cruimh

In a Polite Quaker way it was quite controversial when it was being discussed. Last time I was at a meeting an elderly gentleman stood up and expressed amazement at what he had seen at the Gay Pride event at Belfast :D He was however at pains to ensure that people shouldn't think he was condemning, criticising or being judgemental!

USER1234

I have thralled through debates on this topic with little evidence shown and what little evidence there was shown used small sample(s?). Care to prove that "the scientific evidence shows that children raised in same sex headed households are just as happy and healthy as those raised in opposite sex households"?
i suggest you look again as it has been posted time and time again, if not google is your friend!!!

Maybe a sizeable number of kids wouldn't mind but I would say the majority of kids would rather have a man and woman couple adopting them that a man and a man or a woman and a woman. I don't believe they should be asked.
Again thats your opinion

Happytolearn

In a Polite Quaker way it was quite controversial when it was being discussed. Last time I was at a meeting an elderly gentleman stood up and expressed amazement at what he had seen at the Gay Pride event at Belfast :D He was however at pains to ensure that people shouldn't think he was condemning, criticising or being judgemental!
They genuinely sound like a nice bunch. I met two old brothers - each in their 70's - down the road. They keep such lovely care of their garden and house. Chatting with them I could tell they're very much live and let live.

livingstone

I work near Parliament, and passed by a demonstration outside yesterday - about 100 people, really good natured, lots of passers by stopping and engaging with people from Stonewall etc. The London Gay Men's Chorus was singing and there was a great atmosphere.

On the other side there were three separate and lone men walking up and down with dour faces and prophesies of doom through their megaphones. There couldn't possibly have been a better comparison between the two sides of the debate.

livingstone

This is about the UK and in the UK that's not an issue because gay couples can already adopt.

That being the case, can you point to the evidence from nearly a decade of gay couples adopting children that suggests that it's against the best interests of children?

DJP

This is about the UK and in the UK that's not an issue because gay couples can already adopt.

That being the case, can you point to the evidence from nearly a decade of gay couples adopting children that suggests that it's against the best interests of children?
I think its fundamentally not in peoples interests to have a Labour Party Prime Minister. I don't model the UK on anything (although I await the results of the next G8 summit on poverty) and on the contrary having lived there for a year am glad that enough of us in Ireland have not gone the same way as them societally, culturally and politically.

At least we are going to have a referendum on gay marriage in Ireland. I would prefer if gay marriage was generally voted on in the Oireachtas (where it would be passed) and that gay adoption was voted on in a referendum. I would suggest you try to get an option on people being able to vote for the former and not the latter in the referendum because I don't want to hear you crying when you lose the election on gay marriage because many people solely do not want to have gay parents (amongst other couples willing to adopt) be able to foster children.

USER1234

I work near Parliament, and passed by a demonstration outside yesterday - about 100 people, really good natured, lots of passers by stopping and engaging with people from Stonewall etc. The London Gay Men's Chorus was singing and there was a great atmosphere.

On the other side there were three separate and lone men walking up and down with dour faces and prophesies of doom through their megaphones. There couldn't possibly have been a better comparison between the two sides of the debate.
[video=youtube;CA1ILB4Y7l4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CA1ILB4Y7l4[/video]