Gay Marriage an attack on children - IONA

Mercurial

Agree indeed. My position is it is preferable as a first option. Nowhere am I saying that a child of a single parent or gay parents or brought up by granny can't turn out to be a well balanced individual. I'm saying a loving mother and father is the ideal. You will note I keep using the word loving. So a loving gay couple is preferable to a disfunctional straight couple.
Interestingly the men I know who found themselves sadly in this situation tended to remarry (brings its own issues) the women who lose their husbands tend to stay unmarried.
Is it "ideal" for a child to be brought up by a rich family?

JDubliner

Here's the expert consensus:

Judith Stacey, of New York University, stated: “Rarely is there as much consensus in any area of social science as in the case of gay parenting, which is why the American Academy of Pediatrics and all of the major professional organizations with expertise in child welfare have issued reports and resolutions in support of gay and lesbian parental rights”.

http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/LGBT-Families-Lit-Review.pdf

These organizations include the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Psychoanalytic Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the Child Welfare League of America, the North American Council on Adoptable Children, and Canadian Psychological Association.

Some of these bodies have submitted amicus briefs in support of same sex marriage in which they concluded that the children of same sex couples would benefit if their parents were allowed to marry.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2010/10/27/amicus29.pdf

The children of same sex parents are no more likely to be gay than the children of opposite sex parents.

http://www.cpa.ca/cpasite/userfiles...les Position Statement - October 2006 (1).pdf

Watch The Break

This 'gay attack on marriage' stuff is one of the most obvious attempts to polarise the Christian vote that there's ever been. Stuff like this, really wouldn't bother the overwhelming majority of ordinary people. The only reassurance the majority want is that they are free to worship, which they should be. Unfortunately, such political indifference isn't very useful to the political establishment, so you have issue after issue manufactured to create an illusion of 'Christianity under attack!'. Naturally, people of a more liberal persuasion respond by objecting to fundamentalist application of religion to these 'issues'. And so the loop is created. It is really one of the most despicable political strategies ever devised.

All we have in Ireland is the backdraft of those maneuvers blowing over from the states and being similarly employed by the hardcore religious element here. What people should remember is that the majority of 'religious' folk don't think about these issues all that much, and only when it is framed as an attack on their way of life do they become animated (as would you or I)..

Red_93

Promise you as the father of teenage daughter facts don't come into it - it is all about emotions and in the end women are better at emotions than men and much easier for a mother who has been there to guide her daughter than a man with a textbook!!!
Always thought the stereotype of gay men was that they were good with emotions and all that stuff.

Fides

Is it "ideal" for a child to be brought up by a rich family?
Don't know how you get that from my comments, surely wealth is not a factor of your sexuality.
I said the ideal is a loving heterosexual couple. What children want from their parents is time and interaction. You don't need money for that. Indeed too much money seems to have a negative impact on parenting as the answer to everything seems to be "pay for it". Too little money undoubtedly brings serious pressures on the parents. Ideally "enough" money but we would all have different definitions of that.

Popular Threads

Most Replies