Gay Men - Progress, Technology and Disease - Unidirectional or Likely to Reverse

silverharp

you would kind of think homosexuality would have been rampant in the past if it was down to stress during pregnancy?

SEAMAI

you would kind of think homosexuality would have been rampant in the past if it was down to stress during pregnancy?
Yeah, I'm sure a lot more than 3 or 4 per cent of women have to deal with stress while pregnant.

Roll_On

I think there was a study done in Germany many years ago. The premise was that women undergoing severe stress in pregnancy would produce extra stress hormones. These hormones would have the effect of causing male foetuses to have a tendency to be gay.

Apparentlky the data in the study supporting the premise.
If that were true then almost every boy born in the third world would be gay.

reg11

Yes, she was married, her health was fine, however, she was under a lot of stress during the pregnancy due to family issues only part of which was my fathers alcoholism, the mother in law from hell (who they lived with) and a court case. She has mentioned this as a possibility for me being gay but I've never spent much time contemplating why I am and my four brothers are not. To be fair, I doubt her four other pregnancies were exactly stress free either given my fathers drinking but probably less so.

Like Silverharp mentions above I could throw in the distant dad to the mix, my mother wasn't overbearing but as I said, I'm not looking for answers.
There you go. I know a gay guy whose mother considered an abortion because she didn't want to go home from London to her family unmarried and pregnant. Mothers who give birth in the 3rd have less materially but they may have other supports that a well off Western mother may not have, thus making for less stressful pregnancy.

Here's a fascinating insight into the whole topic.
[video]http://www.tedxtallaght.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18991711-homosexuality-it-s-about-survival-not-sex[/video]

[video=youtube;4Khn_z9FPmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Khn_z9FPmU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

SEAMAI

There you go. I know a gay guy whose mother considered an abortion because she didn't want to go home from London to her family unmarried and pregnant. Mothers who give birth in the 3rd have less materially but they may have other supports that a well off Western mother may not have, thus making for less stressful pregnancy.

Here's a fascinating insight into the whole topic.
[video]http://www.tedxtallaght.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18991711-homosexuality-it-s-about-survival-not-sex[/video]

[video=youtube;4Khn_z9FPmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Khn_z9FPmU&feature=youtu.be[/video]
I finally got around to watching that last night, some really interesting thoughts there.

Filibuster

The issue is that being gay isn’t new. It seems to be as much part of being human as anything else and there’s lots of history to support that. It’s just that since medieval times it was extremely oppressed and hidden.

If anything, the fact that being gay is no longer something that is hidden should mean that sex becomes a lot less risky and more sensible. Most people actually seem to gravitate towards a fairly stable lifestyle whether they’re straight or gay.

The biggest risk factor in gay male sex has tended to be that it was historically clandestine and occurred outside the social norms of a stable relationship. That’s changed and it’s likely to see (over time) a major change in culture.

If you push what is part of human behaviour underground, risks are amplified enormously.

Banning homosexuality is about as logical as banning being tall or being ginger or having green eyes.
You’d have secret hook ups between green eyed tall people ...

It’s just like some people can’t seem to get past their perverse fascination with the fact that some lads have sex with lads and some women have sex with women. They’ve been doing it for millennia... pushing all of that into the closet is where you introduce unnecessary risks.

parentheses

Yes, she was married, her health was fine, however, she was under a lot of stress during the pregnancy due to family issues only part of which was my fathers alcoholism, the mother in law from hell (who they lived with) and a court case. She has mentioned this as a possibility for me being gay but I've never spent much time contemplating why I am and my four brothers are not. To be fair, I doubt her four other pregnancies were exactly stress free either given my fathers drinking but probably less so.

Like Silverharp mentions above I could throw in the distant dad to the mix, my mother wasn't overbearing but as I said, I'm not looking for answers.
Anecdotal evidence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom