Gay Mitchel thinks Carson should be commemorated re 1916 ???

martin TYRONE

On big bite---Gay Mitchell suggested that he would like to see Edward Carson commemorated as part of the 1916 commemorations--I wouldnt mind if Carsons Dublin home was marked with plack or even made a preserved building--he is after all a major figure in Irish history---but whats the logic including him in the Easter rising commemorations----I s this FG policy now to claim Edward Carson as one of their founding fathers---I suppose it would be more logical for FG to claim him than their rediculous claiming of Michael Collins---indeed Carson did not want partition --he wanted all 32 to be part of the UK and no home rule--not all that far removed from what FG often give the impression of wanting.

Has Gay completely lost his marbles.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Re: Gay Mitchel thinks Carson should be commemorated re 1916

martin TYRONE said:
On big bite---Gay Mitchell suggested that he would like to see Edward Carson commemorated as part of the 1916 commemorations--I wouldnt mind if Carsons Dublin home was marked with plack or even made a preserved building--he is after all a major figure in Irish history---but whats the logic including him in the Easter rising commemorations----I s this FG policy now to claim Edward Carson as one of their founding fathers---I suppose it would be more logical for FG to claim him than their rediculous claiming of Michael Collins---indeed Carson did not want partition --he wanted all 32 to be part of the UK and no home rule--not all that far removed from what FG often give the impression of wanting.

Someone should have marked his house with a petrol bomb... while he was in it

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Any link to exactly what Mitchell said?

Edit to add: Ah, I see it was on 'Big Bite'. Was this a serious proposal, or just something he threw in off the top of his head? No doubt this will be represented as official Fine Gael policy for several weeks on here.

hiker

ON THE ONE ROAD said:
well he brought the gun in to 20th century irish politics, worth remembering somehow.

Man, I never saw that one coming. :shock:

Please explain.

ON THE ONE ROAD

set up the uvf when the british government looked like they were going to agree to home rule. taught everyone knew that, is he famous for something else?

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com

rockofcashel said:
martin TYRONE said:

I see you're reverting to type.

DOD

Fine Gael and Logic, when relating to republican history, are normally mutually exclusive terms.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

mjcoughlan said:
rockofcashel said:
martin TYRONE said:

I see you're reverting to type.
and you too, you've still no sense of humour. Or maybe what I say is correct. Maybe if we could go back in time and kill him in a petrol bomb atatck. Then he wouldn't have encouraged the foundation of the UVF. There would have been no Ulster Resistance. We would all be living on a united Ireland, happy and content woth each other.

You still would have no sense of humour

hiker

ON THE ONE ROAD said:
set up the uvf when the british government looked like they were going to agree to home rule. taught everyone knew that, is he famous for something else?
Irish history was never my strong point. So the UVF was set up before the Irish Volunteers. I didnt realise that.
So was the UVF there for years before 1916?

ON THE ONE ROAD

hiker said:
ON THE ONE ROAD said:
Irish history was never my strong point. So the UVF was set up before the Irish Volunteers. I didnt realise that.
it's not my stongest either (copared to history graduates who use this site) but think it was set up in 1912, and positive it was there before irish volunteers.

hiker

ON THE ONE ROAD said:
hiker said:
[quote="ON THE ONE ROAD":2pvb63hm]set up the uvf when the british government looked like they were going to agree to home rule. taught everyone knew that, is he famous for something else?
it's not my stongest either (copared to history graduates who use this site) but think it was set up in 1912, and positive it was there before irish volunteers.[/quote:2pvb63hm]

That wikipedia is a great yoke.
Apparently he set up the uvf in 1912 but it was incorporated into the 32nd ulster battalion which was decimated in the battle of the somme.

The current crew was set up in 1966.

badinage

hiker said:
Apparently he set up the uvf in 1912 but it was incorporated into the 32nd ulster battalion which was decimated in the battle of the somme.
UVF in 1914 = 80,000-100,000 men.

Battalion = 600-1,000 men.

The UVF was incorporated into the 36th Ulster Division, with the formation of 13 additional battalions for three existing Irish regiments; the Royal Irish Fusiliers, the Royal Irish Rifles and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

The Irish Volunteers was incorporated into the 16th Irish Division. Its a little known fact that Ulster Catholics enlisted in roughly the same proportion as Ulster Protestants in 1914, but they tended to request to serve in the 16th Division instead of the 36th.

Also, despite Ulster Unionists being immensely proud of the Ulster Division, recruitment collapsed after the Battle of the Somme, and both divisions were majority non-Irish conscripts by the beginning of 1918.

DaveDublin

The lot of you just showed lots and lots of ignorance.

In the debate around the 1966 50th anniversary of 1916 there was a lot of discussion about this very matter.

Pearse himself believed that "The North Began" in 1913 and that the arming of Irishmen via the UVF was a good thing - by that logic the notion of Carsons role in 1916 was viewed.

jjacollins

Carson was an arch terrorist.

He was doing side deals with the British imperialists when he had no right to be doing so. Ireland had it's own government to represent the Country.

His statue should be removed in the interests of anti sectarianism.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies