• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gay Mitchell bows out

Northtipp

Gay Mitchell has confirmed that he will not contest the next European elections. With that his electoral racing days appear to be behind him

Mitchell will not contest 2014 European elections | BreakingNews.ie

For me personally, the lasting images are those associated with the last Presidential elections. He was absolutely hammered in the vote and suffered what was quite an embarrassing heavy defeat in the wake of his party having swept to power. during that election his rants were out of touch with public sentiment and at times it appeared he had been abandoned by the hierarchy of his party. Certainly his decision not to attend at the declaration smacked of sour grapes although he later clarified his reasons

So what are others lasting images of this high profile politician. Will be be well served in the eyes of history or was his embarrassing end the height of his career?

Morgellons

Gay who?

Nemesiscorporation

Gay Mitchell has confirmed that he will not contest the next European elections. With that his electoral racing days appear to be behind him

For me personally, the lasting images are those associated with the last Presidential elections. He was absolutely hammered in the vote and suffered what was quite an embarrassing heavy defeat in the wake of his party having swept to power. during that election his rants were out of touch with public sentiment and at times it appeared he had been abandoned by the hierarchy of his party. Certainly his decision not to attend at the declaration smacked of sour grapes although he later clarified his reasons

So what are others lasting images of this high profile politician. Will be be well served in the eyes of history or was his embarrassing end the height of his career?
Good riddance.

damus

Obviously, his total "retirement package" has totted up to a sufficient income replacement value!

Aindriu

Bye, Gay. Do us a favour and refuse the golden handshake and pension. No? Didn't think so.

emulator

I'm sure he'd pick up a political consultant role pretty handy....

Any large Government contracts coming up in the near future ?

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

What a nice thing to find out at the start of the day.

Thank you for putting a smile on my face NorthTipp :)

bonkers

Didn't he want to bring the Olympics here at one stage? Maybe he's going to become our Seb Coe.

livingstone

Will make Dublin quite interesting. Where Labour would have come under pressure, this should ease the situation for Costello.

Will be interesting to see who runs - I wonder might Enda think that this would be an appropriate way to dispose of Lucinda?

Ribeye

I'm sure he'd pick up a political consultant role pretty handy....

Any large Government contracts coming up in the near future ?
Seat on the Board of Irish Water maybe,

constitutionus

probably to do with the austerity budget the MEPs would be facing.

now the EU gravy train looks to be shuddering he's getting out while the retirment package is still good

:D :D

Im sure FG have a nice quango for him to go on.

probably someting to do with graveyards i bet !

maybe even something to do with the governance of the abortion leglisation should it come in - being able to go on about thousands of dead kids sounds right up his street.

:D

gijoe

That's the field clear for Eamon Coughlan as the sole FG candidate for Dublin,

Ribeye

He know's he'd get absolutly slaughtered,

emulator

Seat on the Board of Irish Water maybe,
I was thinking more in the line of contracts and the supplying of services.... or licences for services.

I would definitely watch the water space though.... there's already been movement in that direction.

It would be more along the lines of the Government selling Irish Water at some point.... and a businessman with a connected political consultant just happening to get the contract.

That kinda thing....