• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gay Mitchell circulating Iona Institute talking points

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
I got a mail today from Gay Mitchell with this document from the Iona institute attached

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/assets/files/MADE FOR CHILDREN_web.pdf

I can't help but be perturbed that we, Fine Gael, appear to be signing up to the IONA institute's view of civil marriage which is that it's primarily a children only zone.

Mar Tweedy

What was in the text of the mail from Gay - was it about anything related to the Iona document? Iona and Lucinda will be pleased.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
All previous missives have addressed me (and I presume others) as "Dear All", bar one that was addressed "Dear Member", I wonder if someone in his cabinet decided to slip this out?

I've no problem with Gay being more of a social conservative than me that's his viewpoint and he's been long of the view that FG is a Christian Democrat rather than Social Democrat party (something that I reckon is a red herring). Nor that he would be influenced by the thinking of the Iona Institute, but simply acting as a mailing on service for their documents strikes me as lazy, gives the appearance that they speak for him on this issue and passes the buck.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Meh, so Gay Mitchell supports a particular point of view. He's a "christian democrat" afterall...

Mar Tweedy

Have Iona or anyone connected to them given him a big donation?

He's being such a chicken too - if he agrees with it, why not say so. If he disagrees with it, why not say so too.

Wonder how Justice Spokesperson Alan Shatter will react to this. Is it Fine Gael policy or not, and if not, why is Gay Mitchell circulating it?

firefighter

Catholic politician endorses conservative social value. Shock horror.

Certain honesty about it all. Far too many politicians pussy foot around on moral matters for fear of loosing leftie voters.

Rocky

I got the same thing.

I know Gay Mitchell was speaking at an event last Saturday with David Quinn of the Iona Institute and during that Quinn gave out that document. Gay has always been very Christian and Socially Conservative and is open about that and I'd imagine that Gay thought it was interesting, largely agreed with it and decided to send it around to FG members.

Largely I wouldn't read that much into it.

Ofen wondered about the Mitchell Brothers? Jim was a scream. The laughs we used to have. "Commie bitch", he'd mutter to me as he robbed my cigarettes. "Thieving Fascist bastard", I'd mutter back, then a bunch of flowers or a box of chocs would arrive on my desk. But Gay was/is so .... humourless, although I did admire his work ethic, although hating his politics.

Nearly forgot, when Jim gave up smoking he became the bugbear of my existance. "I know you are smoking in that office", he's ring and tell me, "put it out this instance, marxist groupie".

Why do all the good ones die young.

Last edited:

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
Gay Mitchell has said that Europe is a "cold house for Christians". I'm sure one has heard of all these anti-Christian pogroms lately.

P.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I've no problem with Gay being more of a social conservative than me that's his viewpoint and he's been long of the view that FG is a Christian Democrat rather than Social Democrat party (something that I reckon is a red herring).
How could it be a red herring only in Ireland, when it's the fundamental dividing line of national politics in almost every other country in Europe?

I'm very surprised to hear you say that.

USER1234

Oh great, it getting like America here where we have a politician doing the job of ultra right wing Christian consecrative group sending out religiously biased info to try and stop gay people getting full civil rights!!!!

He should stick to his job working for the people of Ireland as an member of the European Parliament!!!

CookieMonster

Mitchell is a social conservative? And promotes views of social conservatism?

My goodness, he should be hunted down and poked with sticks. The MONSTER!

Wednesday

Website
ceadaoin.blogspot.com
Gay Mitchell recently hosted a public meeting in Dublin for Alveda King to spout her lunatic right-wing theories about contraception, the cervical cancer vaccine etc. I'm told that he sat there nodding away while she ranted. He's apparently become very involved with this crowd in Europe, too. I think there are a lot of Dublin-based FGers who would share King Kane's discomfort.

Tig

Meh. I'm not hugely surprised. Mictchell's views are well known.

What bothers me about FG is the lack of a similar standard bearer for the more liberal view.

LiberalFG

Twitter
@dmvmurphy
He's part of an element within FG that I really really HATE. I wouldn't vote for him in a milllion years. He seems to be against any form of social progress whatsoever. There's a few of them in FF as well.

Rocky

Meh. I'm not hugely surprised. Mictchell's views are well known.

What bothers me about FG is the lack of a similar standard bearer for the more liberal view.
Alan Shatter would be quite liberal. As would Frances Fitzgerald.

Libero

Last edited:

Highking

Gay against civil marraige? Thay's a turn up for the books

I guess he must be one of those Self-deprecating Gays