• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

GE candidates for Meath East and Meath West...

not dunny

Will the following be in the race as candidates for the next GE?

Meath East:
FF: Thomas Byrne & Mary Wallace
FG: Shane McEntee & Sirena Campbell
Labour: Dominic Hannigan

Meath West:
FF: Noel Dempsey & Johnny Brady
FG: Damien English & John Farrelly
Labour: Tracy McElhinney
Sinn Fein: Joey Reilly

I'm sure there are many more runners and riders...and that not all above will be running either.

Last edited:

Reality bites

thomas byrne could transfer to Louth if Seamus Kirk wasn't running there for FF as quite a chunk of julianstown area is now in louth.

not dunny

Johnny Brady, on account of Kells going to Meath East, could then run in ME, leaving FF with a space to fill in Meath West

straight talker

thomas byrne now attending mettings of kells ff and canvassed kells for yes vote so id say he intends to stay in meath east

stonethrower

I would say Johnny Brady will stay in Meath West, while he has lost Kells, he still has a lot of his old constiuency, and Byrne will stay in Meath East. I cannot see Farrelly being the second FG candidate, his race is run....there is a very popular councillor Ray Butler in Trim who might fit the bill, he topped the poll and geographically he is well placed with English in Navan....

I cannot see Sirena Campbell being the FG candidate, her base is in Julianstown and that is now part of Louth constituency. In any event FG need a candidate in the south of the county, otherwise they leave that area to FF/Labour...Julianstown is a long way from Ashbourne/Dunshaughlin/Dunboyne/Ratoath. They have 2 female councillors down there, Regina Doherty (Ratoath) and Maria Murphy (Dunboyne) who were both elected in the last local elections. Regina was also a candidate in the last General. While she did well in the rural areas, in both the General and local elections she was strongly outpolled by FF. Both Mary Wallace (TD) and Cllr Nick Killian walloped her in Ratoath, where she doesn't appear that popular. The tallies from the last locals were amazing, if she cannot beat FF in Ratoath which has been hit hard by the recession...when can she beat them. Maria Murphy might be a safer bet as she could have Dunboyne all to herself and she is popular. However word on the ground is that FG are looking for a celebrity candidate.....now only if long standing supporter....Sean Boylan from Dunboyne would agree to run....

fgrep

Yea FG in Meath West had a great celebrity candidate last time!

bcollins

I agree that both Johnny Brady and Thomas Byrne are likely to stay where they are, however with Seamus Kirks elevation Deputy Byrne might sense an opening in Louth. Can FF take two in a four seater, does he stand a beeter chance of beating Mary Wallace in Meath East?

FG have 2 bankers (Though perhaps thats now an unfortunate term) with Shane McEntee in Meath East and Damien English in Meath West. In East they can look at Sirena, Regina or Mary Murphy. I would imagine that Regina has a head start on the others. With Shane coming from the northern end of the constituency I imagine picking a candidate from further to the south, factoring in the loss of large portions of the Drogheda suburbs and the coastal area, would make more sense.

In Meath West FG will also have a tough choice as to who to run with Damien. Clearly some will favour running Catherine Yore. John Farrelly despite what was said above is still by far one of the most capable public representatives in the county. Ray Butler chances may have been diminished by the loss of Kells, but he can still expect a massive vote in Trim and a healthy vote out of the Kells hinterland.

Other candidates to consider are Francis Deane in Meath West and Brian Fitzgerald in Meath East. Sinn Fein are not on the horizon in Meath East but will still be expected to perform strong in West.

We must also look at the possibility of FG running three candidates in these two constituencies

straight talker

brian all above very good reading and im sure most of it may be spot on you gave no insight in to labours plans or will they not be contesting

Irish LibDem

And given that the 'Julianstown' area is essentially the middle class suburban part of Drogheda surely it must be very tempting for either Byrne or Hannigan to run in Louth, both Drogheda men.

topcat4

I agree that both Johnny Brady and Thomas Byrne are likely to stay where they are, however with Seamus Kirks elevation Deputy Byrne might sense an opening in Louth. Can FF take two in a four seater, does he stand a beeter chance of beating Mary Wallace in Meath East?

FG have 2 bankers (Though perhaps thats now an unfortunate term) with Shane McEntee in Meath East and Damien English in Meath West. In East they can look at Sirena, Regina or Mary Murphy. I would imagine that Regina has a head start on the others. With Shane coming from the northern end of the constituency I imagine picking a candidate from further to the south, factoring in the loss of large portions of the Drogheda suburbs and the coastal area, would make more sense.

In Meath West FG will also have a tough choice as to who to run with Damien. Clearly some will favour running Catherine Yore. John Farrelly despite what was said above is still by far one of the most capable public representatives in the county. Ray Butler chances may have been diminished by the loss of Kells, but he can still expect a massive vote in Trim and a healthy vote out of the Kells hinterland.

Other candidates to consider are Francis Deane in Meath West and Brian Fitzgerald in Meath East. Sinn Fein are not on the horizon in Meath East but will still be expected to perform strong in West.

We must also look at the possibility of FG running three candidates in these two constituencies
Brian I know you probably have to talk around this but are you throwing your hat in the ring in either Meath East or West?

sickpuppy

However word on the ground is that FG are looking for a celebrity candidate.....now only if long standing supporter....Sean Boylan from Dunboyne would agree to run....
Landslide victory in dunboyne if Sean goes for it, the only person i've heard of having a statue erected in his honour while still living, plus he is such a nice man as well as been a great herbalist.

sickpuppy

Yea FG in Meath West had a great celebrity candidate last time!
yeah it was great fun at the Meath vs Dublin match that year, a load of us had Graham Gerathy Election posters with us at it...just to rile the Dublin fans.....not that we'd ever vote for that Stella Artois drinker ;)

topcat4

Nuthin yet, dead as a bloody door nail. Someone needs to shake these constituency's up or it will be the same old faces elected again.

kerrynorth

Just on Vincent Browne now he introduced Damien English as a Meath TD and asked him which constituency, Damien replied 'Meath West at the moment but I am changing it'. What is that about?

bradán feasa

I hear that Damien English is strugling in a recent private poll of the Meath West Constituency!