GE candidates please note - I want to see your CV

EvotingMachine0197

And I don't mean your election literature. I mean your CV.

In particular, academic qualifications and prior work experience.

The Party system is a total failure in my opinion, a failure which is helped along by the whip system, which seems to guarantee that back bench dummies never have to produce a single independent thought throughout the Dáil term.

This time, I've decided to take a different approach with my vote.

I'm not going to vote by Party - I'm going to vote by CV. (Frank McBrearty was the final straw in that particular decision making process of mine)

Some profile stuff I'll be looking for:

• Strong formal education - preferably to Degree level and preferably of a technical nature.

• Evidence of ability to think analytically and independently.

• Useful and relative work experience.

• Clean tax record and clean criminal record

• Any other intangibles that would lead me to believe that you're seeking election because you believe you can make the Country better.

Some profile stuff that will excuse you from the shortlist:

• Being a celebrity parachute candidate with nothing to offer except celeb-ness. E.g. GAA footballer who also happens to be a moron.

• Vastly over-cooked Dáil incumbent member.

• Parish Pothole fillers - That's not what you're getting paid for.

• Anyone with even the remotest link to any paramilitary organisation - past, present or future.

• Anyone with even the remotest link to any kind of crime, corruption or underhandedness.
It seems right to me, that if candidates are going to seek this job as TD, National Legislator, that we as the electorate and employer have a duty to both the candidate and to ourselves to interview them properly.

Last edited:

patrickofarrell

Twitter
Farelyboy
i would also add a cert of mental sanity. most of the politicians have the intellectual agility of a small parsnip. as billy Billy Connolly said "how do you know when a politician is lying? you can see their lips move. i going to copy ur post and ask those questions along with own to any prospective politic that calls to my door.brilliant stuff and keep it up!

j26

• Anyone with even the remotest link to any paramilitary organisation - past, present or future.
That rules out anyone who has been a member of SF, FF, FG, and a substantial portion of Labour (ex WP/DL people).

Mark.Keogh

I'd also like to see their manifesto & vote history tallied against their oireachtas quotes (often vary wildly at the hands of the whip and the ears of the constitutents). Court records too and a list of a dozen fundamental questions on where they draw the line, I mean blasphemy for Christ's sake.

Whatever anyone says about those behind micandidate.eu the concept and infrastructure for the basics is already out there, an good enough so long as it cannot be corrupted. Maybe p.ie will periodically archive that site for comparison or the propertybee could add it to its change database.

Skin

The Party system is a total failure in my opinion, a failure which is helped along by the whip system, which seems to guarantee that back bench dummies never have to produce a single independent thought throughout the Dáil term.

I'm not going to vote by Party - I'm going to vote by CV. (Frank McBrearty was the final straw in that particular decision making process of mine)

• Strong formal education - preferably to Degree level and preferably of a technical nature.

• Any other intangibles that would lead me to believe that you're seeking election because you believe you can make the Country better.

• Being a celebrity parachute candidate with nothing to offer except celeb-ness. E.g. GAA footballer who also happens to be a moron.

• Anyone with even the remotest link to any kind of crime, corruption or underhandedness.
It seems right to me, that if candidates are going to seek this job as TD, National Legislator, that we as the electorate and employer have a duty to both the candidate and to ourselves to interview them properly.
Nah, stuff this nonsense , the cabinet is already full of people with some or all of these traits. What we need is ordinary working class people or long-term unemployed people in the Dail. Finally, we would have a parliament representative of the people and I would put a pound to a penny they would make a better fist of it - they would cut through the crap for a start.

Last edited:

Hooch

If they've had any sort of criminal record or link to a para organisation what makes you think they'll just come out and tell you?

oddsox

How dare you, I am a member of Fianna Fail , my father and Grandfather were members as well, I am up to my b00lix in FF. What more of a CV do you want?
By the way I also got a job in the civil service, spent 4 years in the corridor sitting at a desk( because there was no job for me to do), but I am thankful
for FF for giving me what I don't deserve and am not qualified for, a pension a future of a kept man.

(terms and conditions apply, your vote may go up as well as in the sh1t)

EvotingMachine0197

I'm sticking to to my intentions as outlined in the OP.

Based on that :

LAB out
SF out
FF out

FG still in (hoping for a canvass before next friday)
Greens still in (haven't looked him up yet)
Indos x 2 still in (research to be done)
ULA still in

Stating the Obvious

[*]Strong formal education - preferably to Degree level and preferably of a technical nature.
Why exactly? Many of the men who founded the State did not have education to this level.

Collins and Lemass, being two I can think of offhand.

What makes you think that a Degree = competence? Is it snobbery?

EvotingMachine0197

Why exactly? Many of the men who founded the State did not have education to this level.

Collins and Lemass, being two I can think of offhand.

What makes you think that a Degree = competence? Is it snobbery?
I did say preferably, not neccessarily.

Collins and Lemass lived in different times. It may seem snobbish to some ..but there you go.

In my book, a good acadamec qualification is an indication of a person's ability to interpret and understand information. That is all.

gerrymac

TDs nil

So no TDs anymore then?

TropicalCandy

I always thought it would be fun to speak to a FF minister who comes knocking like a boss would to an under performing employee.

DaveMc

An Inter County GAA medal is worth a lot of votes in most parts of this mucksavage nation.
No wonder we are in such a mess.

Podolski1.5

Why do people see the role of public representative as a career? Surely what we need is not people who just regard it as their job but have a genuine belief in what they are doing. Unfortunately this trend has already weakened the trade union movement with the arrival of professional career trade unionists, some of whom could comfortably move jobs over to IBEC without blinking an eyelid.

Stating the Obvious

In my book, a good acadamec qualification is an indication of a person's ability to interpret and understand information. That is all.
Wait until you spend a bit of time in the real world, in business or in dealing with the professions. You'll quickly find that a degree on the wall is far from an indication of anything, let alone a person's ability to interpret and understand information.

That's an insult to people who do not have degrees

EvotingMachine0197

Wait until you spend a bit of time in the real world, in business or in dealing with the professions. You'll quickly find that a degree on the wall is far from an indication of anything, let alone a person's ability to interpret and understand information.

That's an insult to people who do not have degrees
Oh don't be silly.

hughsheehy

While I've often told people that degrees aren't a guarantee of ability or common sense, and they're not, I can answer the original poster by pointing them to my website.

About Hugh | Hugh Sheehy – Dublin South East 2011

1st Hons Mech Eng Degree UCD '89
Dean's List MBA from INSEAD '99 (french school, one of top business schools in Europe)

More on the site.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies