• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Geminid Meteor Shower - visible from Dublin right now!

darkknight

off with their heads

took a look out there every star in the sky visible bitch cold nite up here saw no meteor activity;)

hiding behind a poster

I blame James Reilly, and it also means Labour will go the way of the PDs and Greens in the next election.

Just trying to fit it, like.

darkknight

They might still be aliens too, though.

One of them was particularly scary. It seemed to hover, then reversed direction and headed straight for Dublin City Centre! :shock2:

Turned out to be the Garda Helicopter! :D

jo9jo

On my way home tonight, I glanced up at the sky and thought I was witnessing an alien invasion in progress!

Apparently, it's the start of the annual Geminid Meteor Shower, due to peak on December 13/14.

Rock Comet Meteor Shower

The Geminid Meteor Shower 2012 Peak: When, Where to Watch in Northfield - Northfield, MN Patch

The meteors were clearly visible from Dublin tonight!

Hope it's equally cloud-free on Thursday and Friday nights!
The telly reception in North Dublin has been wonky all day - now we know why.

darkknight

Showtime! Brilliant Geminid meteor shower peaks tonight

Skywatchers around the world are in for a treat tonight, as the annual Geminid meteor shower is poised to put on a spectacular show.

The Geminids will peak overnight Thursday night with the moon at its new phase. The skies will thus be free of the moon's glare, allowing viewers in rural areas to see perhaps 100 or more meteors per hour, experts say.

A new and as-yet unnamed meteor shower may also make an appearance tonight, ramping up the celestial display even further. ...

H.R. Haldeman

OMFG!

Just went outside and they look just like a massive blanket of grey cloud. Ah, the wonders of nature. Amazing.

Munnkeyman

If anyone can manage an image, and post it here, I'll give you a 'like' and demand that you are named P.ie'er of the year.;)

darkknight

[video=youtube;ElQ3iOCjsTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ElQ3iOCjsTw#![/video]​

Now, if only that cloud cover would begin to move!!! :?

EvotingMachine0197

OMFG!

Just went outside and they look just like a massive blanket of grey cloud. Ah, the wonders of nature. Amazing.
It's usually clouds that look like other stuff.

Any particular direction to look later on? I can see north and south from my house, and east and west too.

darkknight

Any particular direction to look later on? I can see north and south from my house, and east and west too.

They could appear in any part of the sky.

Where and When do I look to see a Meteor Shower?

NASA is hosting a live webcast from Alabama, starting at dusk (dusk in Alabama starts about 2 hours from now).

The live stream will be embedded here:
NASA - NASA Chat: Geminid Meteor Shower

I expect to be sitting outside, accompanied by a hot whiskey, with the NASA webcast on one laptop, and Vinny's interview with Colm Keaveney on another, all the time remembering to keep a watch out for meteors (cloud permitting!!).

Just hope I don't end up with pneumonia!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies