• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gems of Irish 'Justice' ?

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Reading a post in the media section I came upon this post where Cael stated the state " had a legal system where you had to be a male property owner to even sit on a jury (until 1975 when Mary Robinson defeated that - thanks David McWilliams for that info) " which I presume is true.

Therefore, those of you with a good legal knowledge, what other quaint little laws and practises did we have/still have that you think would belong to the middle ages or Victorian era and are still around ?

http://www.politics.ie/media/140739-garret-good-talking-out-his-again.html#post3091116

Ingersoll

Can you not be a judge if you are atheist?

DeputyEdo

had a legal system where you had to be a male property owner to even sit on a jury
That's because a jury is meant to be made up of your peers.
Someone living in a council house couldn't really be considered the peer of someone who owns a house...and women...well, less said there, the better

:D

DeputyEdo

Can you not be a judge if you are atheist?
The constitution says to be a judge or the president, you need to swear an oath...some of it to god.
I wrote to all my Wicklow TDs within the last 2 months asking about this.
Apparently, there is a modified oath that can be given, with no mention of god or gods, so you can be a judge or the pres even if you're a heathen!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I think they've changed this, but when I trained up for the Citizens Information Centre in 1986:
If you are blind and living alone you are entitled to a free black & white TV licence. You must pay extra for a colour licence.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
The constitution says to be a judge or the president, you need to swear an oath...some of it to god.
Apparently, there is a modified oath that can be given, with no mention of god or gods, so you can be a judge or the pres even if you're a heathen!
When I was being sworn in to a jury in '97, I told them I was atheist and was asked instead to repeat the "affirmation". They didn't bat an eyelid.

That's because a jury is meant to be made up of your peers.
Someone living in a council house couldn't really be considered the peer of someone who owns a house...and women...well, less said there, the better

:D
Consider yourself severely punished. I think the latest gem, if gem it could be called, is the case where four brave men battered a woman to death with golf clubs, but because of a glitch in the time they were held, they cannot be charged with murder.

Hand the bastards over to the women. We'll soon deal with them.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Its illegal to serve alcohol to someone who is intoxicated in this country also.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Our right to silence seems to have disappeared.

Silence can be interpreted as or infer guilt (Offences Against the State (Amendment) Act, 1998)...

rubensni

If you're giving evidence you can affirm, or swear to whatever god you believe in, but there is no modified oath for judges, or the president. If you're appointed/elected to those offices you must make the religious oath.

DeputyEdo

If you're giving evidence you can affirm, or swear to whatever god you believe in, but there is no modified oath for judges, or the president. If you're appointed/elected to those offices you must make the religious oath.
Dick Roche tells me "On the matter of the oath - nowadays an undertaking can be given."

And Joe Behan sent my request onto Biffos office, they responded saying you don't have to take the religious oath, it's an oath to the people and country you take.

rubensni

Dick Roche tells me "On the matter of the oath - nowadays an undertaking can be given."

And Joe Behan sent my request onto Biffos office, they responded saying you don't have to take the religious oath, it's an oath to the people and country you take.
Well the wording in the constitution describes it as a declaration, and the constitution doesn't allow for any other wording, so if you want to be a judge or president, or join the council of state you have to declare "in the presence of Almighty God," and ask God to "direct and sustain you." According to Art 34.5.4 "Any judge who declines or neglects to make such declaration as aforesaid shall be deemed to have vacated his office" so you definitely have to take the religious oath as written or you're out of a job.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies