• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gender Quota in Irish Politics

Hazlitt

A Dáil sub-committee on Women's Participation in Politics has recommended that gender quotas in politics should be backed by legislation.

Gemma Hussey, former Fine Gael minister for education said:
Gemma Hussey said:
“We have to be stronger than just exhortation . . . it’s not enough, we need to back it up with laws, the time has passed for aspiration,”
Niamh Bhreathnach, former Labour minister for education said "the French model of a quota system with penalties for parties who failed to comply had worked, though some parties had paid penalties rather than having women on the ballot."

This is an absolutely terrible idea, people should be voted on their ability. What is next, a quota for black politicians? A quota for travellers? A quota for people with blonde hair?

It appears this Dáil sub-committee has less faith in women than I do if they think that the introduction of gender-quota laws is necessary.

The passing of this law would set a very dangerous and regressive precedent.

Source: Female politicians want gender quota - The Irish Times - Thu, Jun 25, 2009

absolute madness

sauntersplash

It appears this Dáil sub-committee has less faith in women than I do if they think that the introduction of gender-quota laws is necessary.

[/url][/SIZE]
True, but more worryingly they clearly have no faith whatsoever in the Democratic process. This is a fascinating time to be alive.

To witness the death of the beautiful humanist project of Democracy is a great privilage.

We are a civilisation in decline, time to grab the fiddles and watch it burn!

zakalwe1

i'd say it'd be fair to limit the "quota" to the percentage of political magazines/broadsheets purchased by women against the number of celebs/glossy mags purchased by women.

i'd say about 1% would be a fair "quota" and anything above would be a bonus and would reflect an overrepresentation of women in politics given the average women's interest in politics.

sauntersplash

i'd say it'd be fair to limit the "quota" to the percentage of political magazines/broadsheets purchased by women against the number of celebs/glossy mags purchased by women.

i'd say about 1% would be a fair "quota" and anything above would be a bonus and would reflect an overrepresentation of women in politics given the average women's interest in politics.
Ouch! Good luck getting away with that one.

It could be quite costly to collect this data.;) Plenty of people are interested in politics, they just don't know they are. That's why they need the enlightened and benevolent tyrants in Dail Eireann to remind them of what they want/need/believe with legislation that nobody can understand nor support.

Hazlitt

That's an awful idea.

I'm interested in politics and don't buy any mags, I'm sure the vast majority interested in politics are the same and get most their info in newspapers and the internet, this wouldn't give a fair representation of the number of women interested in politics in the country. If anything the number of women who voted would have to be used, but again it's just a terrible idea, there should be no quotas full-stop! Where does it end! This type of law would create more division and recrimination than anything else!

Verhofstadt

Website
I believe introducing a gender quota would be a good idea in the medium term to redress the balance in Irish Politics.

I'd like to see the Labour party to voluntarily introduce their own to candidate selection, similar to those adopted in Sweden.

zakalwe1

That's an awful idea.

I'm interested in politics and don't buy any mags, I'm sure the vast majority interested in politics are the same and get most their info in newspapers and the internet, this wouldn't give a fair representation of the number of women interested in politics in the country. If anything the number of women who voted would have to be used, but again it's just a terrible idea, there should be no quotas full-stop! Where does it end! This type of law would create more division and recrimination than anything else!
sorry, i forgot to add the :rolleyes:

i fully agree with your post and that quotas would be regressive.

ArtyQueing

I would be totally against this. Why should people be given any position to their gender. Those who have ability will rise those who have not will not. Any woman who accept this are open to the jibe that they are below par and it was the lack of testicles in more than one sense that got them there.

Let everyone have the same chance. If you canot compete with your peers then off with you.

Look at the disaster in the British Labour party with Blair's Babes. Do we want that quality of haradan here?

sauntersplash

I believe introducing a gender quota would be a good idea in the medium term to redress the balance in Irish Politics.

I'd like to see the Labour party to voluntarily introduce their own to candidate selection, similar to those adopted in Sweden.
Do you believe that one would have to be a woman to understand issues which affect women? Do you think you would have to be black to understand issues which affect black people? What difference does it make how many women there are in politics? The job is there for them if they want it. Laws are supposed to limit oppression not direct our lives.

How about a quota for the number of men teaching in primary schools?

That's not how our Government is supposed to operate. For example, I have never been to the arctic, but I'm pretty sure that it's cold there.

Clanrickard

Imagine more Mary Coughlans. :eek:

Captain Con O'Sullivan

If there isn't already a quota system in place how the f*ck did former social worker Mary Coughlan become a Minister? Its not as if she appears burdened by talent.

Brilliant. Three or four more Coughlans hopping off the quota express should just about bring down the curtain.

Hazlitt

There's absolutely nothing wrong with parties setting quotas as part of their own internal policies for whatever the hell they want, regardless of how ridiculous they are, but to introduce candidate quota legislation based on gender and not ability is absolutely and utterly moronic.

I would imagine that is the idea. A united electorate is the stuff of nightmares for a contemporary Government.
sad isn't it ...

sorry, i forgot to add the :rolleyes:

i fully agree with your post and that quotas would be regressive.
Haha, my apologies ! :)

Imagine more Mary Coughlans. :eek:
Now that is a very very scary thought. . . :eek:

zakalwe1

Or worse, more Mary Harneys!
thats a little unfair.
she was voting in on a platform of decimating public service, and is very successful at fulfilling her mandate. in the 5 years as min of health she has managed to regress standards and service by 25 years.

code twinkle

What is that phrase for you all? Oh yeah - you pack of ignoramuses. :)

There are other threads where all of your silly points have been discussed and rebutted so perhaps ye should inform yourselves.

However, to get the debate re-started on a factual, rather than a knee-jerk emotional, basis:

"Research into women's political participation shows that the causes of the under-representation of women are complex and require sustained attention, as women, unlike other groups struggling to achieve equality, are not a minority community but comprise approximately 50% of the population.

Top ten countries in women's political representation : Rwanda 48.8%, Sweden 45.3%, Norway 37.9%, Finland 37.5%, Denmark 36.9%, Netherlands 36.7%, Argentina 36.2%, Cuba 36%, Spain 36%, Costa Rica 35%, Mozambique 34.8%. Internationally Ireland performs poorly.*

Some of the reasons women aren't in politics:

-They just aren't interested. (Just joking, that's for intellectually challenged among you.)

- Structural barriers : childcare, culture, cash, connections, confidence, career
- Irish 'male breadwinner' model has kept women out of public sphere
- Political parties : male dominated, not relevant enough for women active in the communities
- App. 90% of public representatives represent a political party and therefore go through a selection process - political parties have a key role to play in promoting women.
- Politics 'unsuitable' for women (long hours, male environment etc).

Where do quotas come into this?

Well, in order to right the balance, they are one of the viable tools available:

- Recruitment, training, mentoring - good but not effective enough alone
- Legislate for outcome : can be necessary to get results but does tamper with democratic process - not an option in Ireland
- Quotas : constitutional, legislative or voluntary
- Quotas already in place as geographical quotas
- Incumbents also a barrier for new male candidates

Finally, my turkey friends - Positive action measures have been used in some form or another in all countries which have increased women's participation in politics.

*(As we do on all international scores recently, led by our wonderfully 93% white male TDs in the Fianna Fail party)

code twinkle

If there isn't already a quota system in place how the f*ck did former social worker Mary Coughlan become a Minister? Its not as if she appears burdened by talent.

Brilliant. Three or four more Coughlans hopping off the quota express should just about bring down the curtain.
she is one of the 7% of female TDs in the Fianna Fail party. Are you telling me there SHOULDn't be quotas for eradicating the 93% of male Fianna Fail TDs who have brought this country to its knees? I used to think you had half a brain in your head but turns out your as pathetically reactionary as the best of these buffons. Maybe you are smart but its just that you want to feel part of the lads?

swansandtyphus

I definitely think that there should be gender quotas in Irish politics in order to get more women involved would give the political system a real kick in the pants - our politics would I believe become more child centred more family friendly and more humane.
There would still be social inequalities and injustices but it would make society a bit better.
Women are multi-taskers, better team workers and simply better at empathising than men who are more focused, stubborn and machiavellian.
Women and men compliment eachother and more female imput in politics in Ireland can only be better for us all.
That's my opinion anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies