General Election

rob

When will canvassing begin? Will they wait till date is called?

Tiernanator

The result in Donegal is good for Sinn Féin. FG should have done better. However given the nature of Donegal as a FF stronghold it is interesting that the civil war was still very much in evidence up here in the northwest. I believe that many people are beginning to see that there is a an alternative to FG/FF. Time for tactical voting to get as many left candidates elected. Or failing that anyone but FF. The FF plan to scupper Sinn Féin didnt work so they are losing their appeal and the persuasive powers. Maybe people are beginning to start thinking for themselves.

Tea Party Patriot

The result in Donegal is good for Sinn Féin. FG should have done better. However given the nature of Donegal as a FF stronghold it is interesting that the civil war was still very much in evidence up here in the northwest. I believe that many people are beginning to see that there is a an alternative to FG/FF. Time for tactical voting to get as many left candidates elected. Or failing that anyone but FF. The FF plan to scupper Sinn Féin didnt work so they are losing their appeal and the persuasive powers. Maybe people are beginning to start thinking for themselves.
While I think FF are on for a big kicking in the general election, I don't believe that SF will do this well in Donegal when it comes to the generals. The candidates were the usual bunch of week bye-election types with Doherty out far ahead of them, a GE setting will be different.

Astral Peaks

Canvassing already underway, Ryan starting in DS this w/end I believe!

Re: DSW, FF vote is very good given the circs, if the ECB/IMF manage to cobble together a deal that burns/involves the Seniors, FF will spin it as a negotiating victory, watch their % come right back.

Say what you like, Kenny is a weakness for FG, the public want a leader, not a chairman (as per Garrett on VB this week) and Kenny isn't it.

If Lab are exposed as waffling, then FF/FG comes into play as a coalition (or the rump FF) and that might lead to a right / left split finally!

(p.s. I am not a FF supporter, I believe that their current leadership is totally unfit for public office.)

collina

I believe that many people are beginning to see that there is a an alternative to FG/FF. .
Its an alternative to Enda that people want not FG as a whole.

collina

Not to take away from the SF performance of course.

Flynnster

Its an alternative to Enda that people want not FG as a whole.
I think you are wrong in that. I fully believe most ordinary people with little or interest in politics see FF & FG as having the very same policies. Now before FG members start screaming on here about all the major differences its just my view which I get from talking to everyday people, I am NOT saying they are all the same.

I think SF will do very well in the next general election as will many of the left wing parties but I don't think Labour will do nearly as well as predicted chiefly because their local candidates are seen as weak in many parts of the country

Murph

Do we have a result for Donegal yet and whos ahead percentage wise?

collina

I think you are wrong in that. I fully believe most ordinary people with little or interest in politics see FF & FG as having the very same policies. Now before FG members start screaming on here about all the major differences its just my view which I get from talking to everyday people, I am NOT saying they are all the same.

I think SF will do very well in the next general election as will many of the left wing parties but I don't think Labour will do nearly as well as predicted chiefly because their local candidates are seen as weak in many parts of the country
Well whatevers coming it won't be long now.

theoutsider

Canvassing already underway, Ryan starting in DS this w/end I believe!

If Lab are exposed as waffling, then FF/FG comes into play as a coalition (or the rump FF) and that might lead to a right / left split finally!

(p.s. I am not a FF supporter, I believe that their current leadership is totally unfit for public office.)
I would love it Eamo Ryan called to my door - sadly I don't think he will

As for FG / FF - ain't going to happen

Astral Peaks

I would love it Eamo Ryan called to my door - sadly I don't think he will

As for FG / FF - ain't going to happen
He wont be at mine either, more's the pity....smug, patronising git!

FF/FG? Dont rule it out, FF will have to be purged, but there are enough pragmatists in FF to do that and the younger generation would see less difficulty with an alliance with FG than with the head in the clouds boyos and girlies in Lab.

theoutsider

He wont be at mine either, more's the pity....smug, patronising git!

FF/FG? Dont rule it out, FF will have to be purged, but there are enough pragmatists in FF to do that and the younger generation would see less difficulty with an alliance with FG than with the head in the clouds boyos and girlies in Lab.
FG memebership won't go for it though, great way to have an FG split

james toney

Would any member of FF be ashamed,or embarrassed knocking on doors in the next election,Or will it be FF policy to keep well clear of the doorsteps?

Letmein

Labour Party has started canvassing - as soon as all the selection conventions are over the canvass will start in earnest. During the Local Elections there were lots of signs on doors in Dun Laoghaire - no FF no Greens need call !!

New Threads

Most Replies